PDA

View Full Version : Wraps? What's good and bad?

DHPRO
08-10-2013, 11:32 AM
I have a line on a great boat almost everything I want, except its just not my color...wrap is an idea, but what can u guys tell me about how well they wear, how good they actually look vs the gelcoat and how much of hull can be covered (I assume its from waterline up?)?
As always, thanks for the help!

Ryan
08-10-2013, 12:21 PM
I have only used them on promo vehicles. The only down side is the cost or time to remove it when the time comes. And of course there's always the risk of getting really exicted about a creative design that doesn't help when you sell (assuming it stays in good shape). I'd expect 3 years out of a wrap before dock & trailer rubs enough to motivate replacement.

Here's a guy that went a little overboard. Some good ideas in there, not sure how a space shuttle launch and a skeleton on the bow go together but what do I know.

http://austin.craigslist.org/boa/3984688777.html

DHPRO
08-12-2013, 09:59 AM
anyone else?

scott023
08-12-2013, 10:11 AM
If you're talking about the 45, a wrap for that is going to be costly. I've looked into them myself, and for the wrap and install you're going to be looking at 5k, if done right.

Scuffs and such don't buff out, and they don't last a lifetime either. So you will be looking at a lot of time and effort to clean the hull up after taking the wrap off. Again, that boat had the wrong motor and wrong color now, so at a cost of likely 20k to switch the motor and wrap it... Your boat is now 50k. I'm pretty sure you can find a 45 out there that suits you better (without having to swap things out and settle) for 50k.

bjames
08-12-2013, 10:59 AM
I have a full wrap (excpet for the transom). What I like about it is it doesnt scratch like gel coat does - I m talking about the fine scratches. IMO it adds an additional layer of protection to the hull as the vinyl is very strong. If you have any sprider cracks of other blemishes already, a wrap will nicely cover them up.

The down side is that the wrap is not as forgiving if your not careful pulling up to a dock or if you dont use fenders when docked. All it takes is a good bump and you can tear or blister the wrap. However, this is no different than the damage you would get if you had the factory decal.

I have the PWT wrap on mine and what I like about it is because the art work is made to have a graffitti, splattered weathered imperfect look to it, damage is virtually invisible. There are times that I have to look real close to see if what im looking at is a nick or the artwork. Sirlin was brilliant coming up with this design IMHO.

DHPRO
08-12-2013, 11:50 AM
If you're talking about the 45, a wrap for that is going to be costly. I've looked into them myself, and for the wrap and install you're going to be looking at 5k, if done right.

Scuffs and such don't buff out, and they don't last a lifetime either. So you will be looking at a lot of time and effort to clean the hull up after taking the wrap off. Again, that boat had the wrong motor and wrong color now, so at a cost of likely 20k to switch the motor and wrap it... Your boat is now 50k. I'm pretty sure you can find a 45 out there that suits you better (without having to swap things out and settle) for 50k.

wasnt refering to 45...its another one that I was shown...my wife's comment was "...it'll look great - at nite!"

great feed back though guys...thnx! Basically what I was thinking as well. Wraps shuldnt be viewed at 100% color/design replacement...

swatguy
08-12-2013, 01:47 PM
Wraps only last 3-5 yrs and then you are supposed to remove them or they became a pain in the arse with the glue coming off. The real downfall is any dock ding, board ding, misjudgment will show and u can't buff them out like Gelcoat. Upside is usually the wraps have so much going on the flaws tend to be less noticeable. I like the idea of keeping the boat fresh and changing things up, but if you're looking for a more permanent cor change solution I would argue against it. If you're just looking to change up your ride and personalize it tho they are awesome.

Traxx822
08-12-2013, 03:24 PM
I have a line on a great boat almost everything I want, except its just not my color...wrap is an idea, but what can u guys tell me about how well they wear, how good they actually look vs the gelcoat and how much of hull can be covered (I assume its from waterline up?)?
As always, thanks for the help!

If the boat was a better deal. I would say a wrap is bot a bad idea. Some places can cost upwards $5k but that wouldn't stop me from doing it. .
Maybe you could only use a vinyl wrap over the accent color you don't like or if changed you would like.

I'm planning on doing a vinyl overlay down the center of my boat. It will be subtle. No designs. Maybe that could be an option???

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

bjames
08-12-2013, 03:34 PM
Do you have any photos of the boat you have a line on?

DHPRO
08-12-2013, 04:12 PM
Do you have any photos of the boat you have a line on?

Just a build sheet photo...its Yellow base, Blue accents with caramel interior

bjames
08-12-2013, 04:56 PM
There is some really talented guys on this forum, if you post a pick, you may get some ideas. Also you may be able to design a partial wrap that compliments the gel sceme.

GoinBoatin
08-12-2013, 05:41 PM
5k for a wrap is what I was quoted from sirlin wraps. All the dealers around here told me to go to a local company that does wraps cause they were half the price. I called the best place here in Iowa for a full wrap on my x45 and they quoted me $2500. They use the same 3m vinyl that sirlin uses and have the same warranty. Do your research and find a local wrap company.

bjames
08-12-2013, 06:16 PM
Ha Ha Ha... When I had my 'mini wrap' printed for my 32" RC X Star using the low resolution proof of my full size wrap, the decal company quoted me a wrap using the dimensions that were shown on the Proof. The quote they gave me was $1900 or about 1/2 of what I paid through my local MC dealer :( . So essentially they ended up quoting me the cost of a full wrap.

DHPRO
08-13-2013, 07:46 AM
OK...here best I can do with the build sheet pic

Quinten
08-13-2013, 07:56 AM
Cant figure out how to get pic off build sheet...workin on it...

thinking about a print screen ;)

nickespi
08-13-2013, 08:07 AM
Mine ran me $1500. I would say that I'll be changing it in 3-4 years. It's not forgiving, but I knew that going in. The boat buddy or any bow roller eats up the wrap on the bow. Probably not as bad as I'm making it sound, but it is what it is. For me, the $1500 every few years is worth it to have essentially a brand new boat.

scott023
08-13-2013, 10:21 AM
Mine ran me $1500. I would say that I'll be changing it in 3-4 years. It's not forgiving, but I knew that going in. The boat buddy or any bow roller eats up the wrap on the bow. Probably not as bad as I'm making it sound, but it is what it is. For me, the $1500 every few years is worth it to have essentially a brand new boat.

Is that price installed??

Traxx822
08-13-2013, 10:36 AM
OK...here best I can do with the build sheet pic

Change that yellow to white and it would look good. Only problem would be if you scratched it, the yellow would show underneath.

chriscraftmatt1976
08-13-2013, 11:13 AM
I didn't know wraps were so expensive for so little life. Huh.

I guess I don't see the draw...

nickespi
08-13-2013, 11:26 AM
Price was $1500 installed and custom artwork. That's why the 3-4 year life doesn't bother me.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-13-2013, 11:27 AM
Price was $1500 installed and custom artwork. That's why the 3-4 year life doesn't bother me.

Great price. You should give some recognition to who did that for you. Probably generate them some business.

bjames
08-13-2013, 11:50 AM
IMO the wrap will last a lot longer than 5 years. Otherwise factory boats like the Park's edition xstar, PWT x star and numerous other brand boats like the byerly edition all use wraps. I cant see them selling to premium limited edition boat at top dollar only to have the sales guy say "expect to change the wrap in 3-5 years". I would say if you take care of it, it should last a life time...

mikeg205
08-13-2013, 11:51 AM

1500 for all that and design? awesome price... what media and laminate was used... do you know what it was printed on? That just seems very low for a price. That's a lot of media... and installation.

DHPRO
08-13-2013, 12:01 PM
Change that yellow to white and it would look good. Only problem would be if you scratched it, the yellow would show underneath.

Still have to contend with the yellow bottom, and my preference is black too - so any scratches will be obvious for sure! I have played around with the MC design on the website and came up with a few I cud live with. Prob is, for this kinda $, its nuts to by a color you wont be proud to drive.

nickespi
08-13-2013, 12:04 PM
I have no idea as to the media or laminate. The guy that did it does the stock cars in the area. I'm sure it's not Sirlin quality, but for a third of the price, I can't complain. The guys name is Barry. He's located in Murfreesboro, TN and works out of Graphic Effects Tint.

swatguy
08-13-2013, 12:33 PM
IMO the wrap will last a lot longer than 5 years. Otherwise factory boats like the Park's edition xstar, PWT x star and numerous other brand boats like the byerly edition all use wraps. I cant see them selling to premium limited edition boat at top dollar only to have the sales guy say "expect to change the wrap in 3-5 years". I would say if you take care of it, it should last a life time...

It's not necessarily the wrap that will deteriorate. A true wrap is different from a permanent decal. It has a different adhesive structure. The issue is that IF you want to remove it and go back to original gelcoat the glue starts to be more permanent and makes it super hard to remove cleanly. I am sure the vinyl portion and color will last perfectly for a long time if well maintained and you want to leave it i
on forever.
And lets be honest. Do you think the salesman cares if the 100k boat he just sold with a wrap can be removed 5yrs down the road. He would have sold at least 50 more boats in that time frame. Same goes for the PWT star. They only care so long as it holds up for the comps. The wrap removal tine frame issue is also important if you put a couple dings or scratches in it and then the MCOCD kicks in down the road. Now you either have to remove the wrap or deal with the dings. If you never ding anything then nothing to worry about long term.

mikeg205
08-13-2013, 12:52 PM
I have no idea as to the media or laminate. The guy that did it does the stock cars in the area. I'm sure it's not Sirlin quality, but for a third of the price, I can't complain. The guys name is Barry. He's located in Murfreesboro, TN and works out of Graphic Effects Tint.

The biggest issue comes in when removing. - As Swat mentions - the glue changes and becomes very rigid and that transfers to the vinyl - cheap vinyl will come of in bits where as good vinyl will come off in large pieces - if not as a whole section when need be.

scott023
08-13-2013, 05:29 PM

The guys at Sirlin told me that flat out when I spoke to them.

bjames
08-13-2013, 06:41 PM
It's not necessarily the wrap that will deteriorate. A true wrap is different from a permanent decal. It has a different adhesive structure. .

Depends on the decal. If its a solid color then a vinyl adhesive could be used, but the multi color decals are printed using a variation of 3M laminated product, same as what is used for wraps.

When I had the stock "X25" rear logo removed from my 2012 X25, The wrap installer said that it was the same laminated film as the wrap. It came of REALLY easy, probably becuase the boat was new :)

bjames
08-13-2013, 06:41 PM
The guys at Sirlin told me that flat out when I spoke to them.

Told you the wrap would last longer or only 3-5 years?

MC209
08-13-2013, 07:06 PM
I know a guy here in mn that will wrap a 22ft boat for 1500 installed.

Skir68
08-13-2013, 07:44 PM
I know a guy here in mn that will wrap a 22ft boat for 1500 installed.

Really?...name please!

scott023
08-13-2013, 08:11 PM
Told you the wrap would last longer or only 3-5 years?

They told me "up to five years".

mikeg205
08-13-2013, 08:14 PM
They told me "up to five years".

Depends on the media and exposure and surface prep.

scott023
08-14-2013, 02:25 AM
Depends on the media and exposure and surface prep.

I assumed as much, I'm just quoting what they said.

Ironhorse
08-19-2013, 09:09 AM
My neighbors Moomba was wrapped 4 years ago and still looks like new. His boat sits moored all summer as well.

bjames
08-19-2013, 10:59 AM
I wonder if anyone on this forum has a wrap older than 5 years old that can comment on its condition. It would be interesting :)

scott023
08-19-2013, 12:38 PM
I wonder if anyone on this forum has a wrap older than 5 years old that can comment on its condition. It would be interesting :)

I would, for sure. When I was told that, it certainly lessened my interest in getting one.