PDA

View Full Version : Does the X Star produce a good wakeboard and surf wake?

Boating999
08-09-2013, 11:33 PM
Looking at a 2009 X Star with 2,500 lbs of ballast, my family wakeboards and skis and wants try wake surfing. Is the X Star a good choice for this?

swatguy
08-09-2013, 11:58 PM
For an occasional beginner surfer as long as you are regular footed it throws a surfable wave. Nothing special to get you pumped, but good enough to make a few slashes. If you are goofy footed tho it's nothing but a washed out mess on that side at surf speeds.

It skis fine for any recreational skier and it obviously wakeboards like the super boat it is. It is the benchmark in perfection on wakeboarding wakes.

Bambamski1
08-10-2013, 10:03 AM
There is a reason this boat is no longer in the MC lineup

scott023
08-10-2013, 10:45 AM

The Star is no longer in the MC lineup???:confused: it was redesigned, not dropped.

scott023
08-10-2013, 10:47 AM
For an occasional beginner surfer as long as you are regular footed it throws a surfable wave. Nothing special to get you pumped, but good enough to make a few slashes. If you are goofy footed tho it's nothing but a washed out mess on that side at surf speeds.

It skis fine for any recreational skier and it obviously wakeboards like the super boat it is. It is the benchmark in perfection on wakeboarding wakes.

I agree with Swat. If you want to do a good amount of surfing, there are better options than an '09 Star. Surf wake is marginal, at best.

swatguy
08-10-2013, 10:42 PM

The only reason this boat no longer exists is because after 8 yrs nothing changed except a facelift here and there with bling. The 21-22ft wakeboat days have gone and its now 23 and 24ft'rs. The Xstar was small in space for its size and just couldn't compete any longer boat wise. It's wake was still king, but other MFG were starting to pull ahead with space and competing wakes. MC needed to revamp it to get it selling again. There was no real reason to get people with older Stars to upgrade just with new gadgets. The needed a new boat to get things going. It also didn't help that all it did to perfection was wakeboard. More people these days want a do everything boat. The 3rd gen Star just was not that. It was the Mac Daddy of wakes and I still think the best looking wakeboat on the water, but was a one trick pony.

Jerseydave
08-11-2013, 09:24 AM
I run 2000-2400 lbs in mine for wakeboarding, the wake is only 2nd to the new Star.
We just had Josh Palma out Friday for a clinic up here and he loves that wake!

For surfing I think the wake is better than most people say, you just have to stay closer to the platform and the wave is short. The X-25 is by far better for surfing, but nowhere near as good for wakeboarding.

Interior space is small compared to other 22's but we manage ok. (10 people of mine Friday)

Got some pics of that '09?

JohnE
08-11-2013, 09:43 AM
Is the 25 really that far off for boarding?

bobx1
08-11-2013, 09:48 AM
Looking at a 2009 X Star with 2,500 lbs of ballast, my family wakeboards and skis and wants try wake surfing. Is the X Star a good choice for this?

Since you mentioned surfing AND skiing then you may want to consider another hull.

Jerseydave
08-11-2013, 01:27 PM
While the Xstar is not a great ski boat, I have pulled several rec slalom skiers and they actually like it ok. Need at least 30 mph, no ballast and only good for rec open water skiers. If you ski more aggressive you may want to look for an X2 or X10, X15. Better choice for all water sports. @JohnE, the X25 I rode only had 3 people and stock ballast. I'm sure with more weight the wake is much better (like with most boats)

Aric'sX15
08-11-2013, 01:30 PM

It did win the riders choice award almost every year it was out. It's not a surf boat by any means, but it was the best of the best wakeboard boats. The old star is a wakeboard boat! Not a surf boat

kskonn
08-11-2013, 01:43 PM
FYI... I agree with all said, and I happen to have an 2011 X2 for sale. Good all around family boat. If you are interested shoot me a pm.

swatguy
08-11-2013, 05:16 PM
The 25's wakeboard wake isn't that far off from the Stars at all. It just has a bit shorter transition and a more abrupt lip. It's pretty darn close to that 03-11 Star without a doubt. I could see a pro really noticing and and really needing the longer tranny, but for your average joes like me it's really really close. The wake is just a bit different. Both can get humongo with weight. I also think the 25's is just a touch narrower. I run an 80ft line in that and a 75 foot on the 08 star I ride both at 24.7mph.

Nordicron
08-11-2013, 06:10 PM
I think the x-star is a super sexy boat and throws a really nice wake. As everyone has said it's not much of a surf boat but can be done. Thing about a star is its tiny in the cabin compared to most other boats in the MC line. The x-25 and even x-15 are much bigger feeling in their cabins.
The x-25 is pretty close to the star wake with factory. Thing with the x-25 though is the more weight you put in the steeper it gets and more finicky it gets to weight and speed. The star not so much but the star does get more abrupt the more weight you add. Some people(new riders or beginners) don't really like the abruptness or take some time getting used to it.

Really the best all around boat I think in the MC lineup in 2009 was probably the x-15. Very consistent wakeboard wake and surfs pretty decent an can even ski it.

Another thing you might consider is all MC 4pt towers are a major major pain in the rear to fold!

Bambamski1
08-11-2013, 06:43 PM
It's all personal opinion. The star is a one hit wonder that had great marketing. Probably the worst stock wake of any boat i've ever ridden behind. Loaded and i mean yiou have to load it 3 k over stock it starts to get ok. Have fun getting it on plane. Still no lip no real pop imo. I prefer a wake that is steaper and has pop to it. 205v, san210, x-25. When i'm at my buddies cabin that has the star i just skate behind it now. I like the straight up pop for my inverts.

Surfing is just a big mushy wave on the port side and is completely useless on the starboard.

Not a fan

willyt
08-11-2013, 10:38 PM
It's all personal opinion. The star is a one hit wonder that had great marketing. Probably the worst stock wake of any boat i've ever ridden behind. Loaded and i mean yiou have to load it 3 k over stock it starts to get ok. Have fun getting it on plane. Still no lip no real pop imo. I prefer a wake that is steaper and has pop to it. 205v, san210, x-25. When i'm at my buddies cabin that has the star i just skate behind it now. I like the straight up pop for my inverts.

Surfing is just a big mushy wave on the port side and is completely useless on the starboard.

Not a fan

The star doesn't have pop with 3k over stock? Maybe you should learn how to wakeboard.

swatguy
08-11-2013, 10:53 PM
I would agree with bamb to certain extent

It's just a different pop. I equate the Stars wake to launching off a snowboard kicker. It's real nice, smooth, predictable n hard. It's next to impossible to blow through. The landings are just as smooth down the long tranny. You really need to wait and just lanch it. It took me a while to get used to at first coming from the steeper wakes. The wakes he mentions do have more snap. They really load up you knees and give you a quick snap, with bit more straight up pop. For me that instant feedback lets me know to throw my trick, where again I have to wait for the release off the longer tranny of the Star because my knees don't load up as quickly. It's a completely different feel. All personal preference.

scott023
08-11-2013, 10:55 PM

Not a fan

Really? You must be a pro rider. 3k ballast in any boat is massive.

Jerseydave
08-11-2013, 11:06 PM

Not a fan

Ok so you're saying the wake "starts to get ok" with a total of 4K lbs. Not true.
Have fun getting it on plane? Not true, get the correct prop.

Here's mine with only 2K lbs. TOTAL BALLAST and 6 people on board. MCX engine with 14.25 X 14.5 prop.
Just my opinion, but the wake looks pretty good to me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmLNMpwx_BE

dvsone79
08-11-2013, 11:53 PM
Ok so you're saying the wake "starts to get ok" with a total of 4K lbs. Not true.

Here's mine with only 2K lbs. TOTAL BALLAST and 6 people on board. MCX engine with 14.25 X 14.5 prop.

Wake looks good to me!

scott023
08-12-2013, 01:12 AM

That looks amazing. Great vid.

Aric'sX15
08-12-2013, 09:44 AM
The star doesn't have pop with 3k over stock? Maybe you should learn how to wakeboard.

I was just about to say that haha

Jerseydave
08-12-2013, 11:53 AM
That looks amazing. Great vid.

Thanks guys, and if you watch the seconds tick away, I'm up to wakeboard speed in about 15 seconds so it's not a complete dog out of the hole. Love my X-star!

bjames
08-12-2013, 12:06 PM

Not a fan

Coming from a 2011 and a 2012 X25 (both with P&P), I have to say I was very impressed with my 09 X Star wake. With the Xstar empty (no ballast), at 20mph, the wake as way cleaner than the stock X25 wake - about the same size, but different shape.

All my previous wake boats have had a wake plate to trim/shape the wake. The Xstar is my first and only boat that does not have one becuase it doesnt need one. At full throttle at any weight, the boat NEVER porpises. There has never been a need to trim the boat, which still surprises me.

For wakeboarding, (with only a driver, nobody else in boat) I fill all below tanks 100%. At 21.6 mph (un-calibrated) the wake is super clean and comparible size to the X25 (full ballast) just not as steep.

Sometimes to increase the wakesize, I will add a 750lbs sac in the walkway (with full stock ballast). At 21.6mph the wake is similar tothe X25 with P&P full - again not as steep and lippy.

Going beyond that, filling the 750 scas in the rear compartments really crakes up the wake, however you now have to increase speed to clean the wake up. For me, runing approx 3250# of ballast is more than what I need.

NOW for surfing. Yesterday was the first time I had guests out with us to try surfing. I was a little nervous at first becuase I havent quite dialed in my surf wake. So here is goes...(for STRB side surfing)

KGB tank 100%
Port tank empty
STRB tank 100%
STRB 750# bag full

3 people sitting on STRB side

At 10.6mph, I was actually blown away by the surf wake. Apart from being 'a little' closer to the transom, the wake was better than my Moomba LSV with Fat Sacs and from what I remember better than the X25 (with surf tabs). The Star had a really good list to STRB. The wake had a lot of height, was fairly clean with a slight curl on top. I have to say, I was very surprised :)

At faster speeds (15mph) the massive rooster tail (typical of stars) folds over itself to create a very clean half pipe.

IMO, the Xstar has the ability to create a good fun surf wake, but it takes work and just the right speed - not nearly as easy as other boats - but again the Xstar was not intended as a surf boat - even though CWB board Co showed Zane Swanke surfing behind a star for their ads.

bjames
08-12-2013, 12:10 PM
Thanks guys, and if you watch the seconds tick away, I'm up to wakeboard speed in about 15 seconds so it's not a complete dog out of the hole. Love my X-star!

AGREED!! If I fill all tanks and bags full (3250#), I get on plane very quickly. My X25 with Ilmor 6.0 had way more dificulty getting on plane when fully loaded up with P&P, probably due to the deep V hull design. The X25 needed the trim plates to help with this.

BTW Please dont get me wrong. The X25 is a fabulous boat, its just totally different design from the star.

Bambamski1
08-14-2013, 04:09 PM
hahaha I guess i should have guessed i would have gotten some panties in a knot. MY OPINION was what i put in there. When i was buying my boat I didn't consider an X-star as i've spent a lot of time behind them and they're not my style of wake. My wife surfs and she doesn't like the softness of the xstar surf wake.

I'm not a pro. and by no means as good as a rider in Jersey Dave's video, he's got mad skill, I did notice he basically can do a invert off of a roller and can ollie higher then i can jump:)

The original thread is about the surf wake which i still stand by my comments that it throws a terrible surf wake compared to so many other boats out there. you can make a larger wake sure but it's no good unless it's firm and has push which it doesn't do.

Bjames, you ride at 20mph??? I'm old and not as light as i once was. Maybe my junior high weight of 120 pounds i could ride at that speed. My crew, we all ride 23-25 mph just to keep on plane hahahaha.

just to compare here's a pic of my x-25 wake with stock ballast in the bow filled and the back empty riding 24 mph (maybe 4-5 in the boat). not crazy steep but it has a nice lip with lots of pop... It gets way more fun with some extra weight in the bow and the back filled a little bit. By no means do you have to load the back up at all though. Just doing a simple wake to wake 180.

the other pic is my buddies star with the 750's filled and just the stock KGB. very rampy still with no real lip. Rider isn't as good so look more at the shapes.

If you like the rampy style wake of the star that's awesome. Great boat for that. I'm saying not everyone likes that and from my one ride behind the new xstar (2013) they've pretty much made a boat that produces a wake that is similar to the X-25 wake but bigger...

moleson10
08-15-2013, 01:00 AM
Actually the OP asked about wakeboard and surf wake. I think it's fine to state opinions about the stars wakeboard wake and prefer other wakes over it. But to state that the stars WB wake is anything but stellar puts you at odds with most of the pros out there. Now are there better wakes for intermediate riders? Very possibly.

There are better surf wakes for sure but it's not as bad as its rep if you weight it correctly. The trick is to load the nose. I run 200# of steel in the bow along with 3000# total ballast. Keeping the bow down lengthens the wake and improves the shape. Then you can get back from the swim deck.

BJames, glad to hear you are liking your star.

Nick911
08-15-2013, 01:19 AM
hahaha I guess i should have guessed i would have gotten some panties in a knot. MY OPINION was what i put in there. When i was buying my boat I didn't consider an X-star as i've spent a lot of time behind them and they're not my style of wake. My wife surfs and she doesn't like the softness of the xstar surf wake.

I'm not a pro. and by no means as good as a rider in Jersey Dave's video, he's got mad skill, I did notice he basically can do a invert off of a roller and can ollie higher then i can jump:)

The original thread is about the surf wake which i still stand by my comments that it throws a terrible surf wake compared to so many other boats out there. you can make a larger wake sure but it's no good unless it's firm and has push which it doesn't do.

Bjames, you ride at 20mph??? I'm old and not as light as i once was. Maybe my junior high weight of 120 pounds i could ride at that speed. My crew, we all ride 23-25 mph just to keep on plane hahahaha.

just to compare here's a pic of my x-25 wake with stock ballast in the bow filled and the back empty riding 24 mph (maybe 4-5 in the boat). not crazy steep but it has a nice lip with lots of pop... It gets way more fun with some extra weight in the bow and the back filled a little bit. By no means do you have to load the back up at all though. Just doing a simple wake to wake 180.

the other pic is my buddies star with the 750's filled and just the stock KGB. very rampy still with no real lip. Rider isn't as good so look more at the shapes.

If you like the rampy style wake of the star that's awesome. Great boat for that. I'm saying not everyone likes that and from my one ride behind the new xstar (2013) they've pretty much made a boat that produces a wake that is similar to the X-25 wake but bigger...

That looks nothing like my 25's wake, must be the extra nose weight. Mine seems quite bit steeper.

Nick911
08-15-2013, 01:22 AM
To the OP, the last gen Star's wakeboard wake is the wake by which all others are measured.

thamax
08-15-2013, 11:09 AM

Everyone has there take on the x-star but the setup on these stars is alot of nose weight for wakeboarding I run kgb full + pwt front bags, 400 lb lead and 300 lb bag under the bow cushion rear weight almost none usually 5-6 in the rear boat is plenty. run 21.7 mph and you will be amazed at what a x-star puts down for a wake. that pic above is sad to say the least. I think you need to learn how to pop off a wake and get where u can clear wave to wave at 75 ft back then you might have a better clue on a good wave. the x-25 throws a sick wave i am not sure what you are doing to ruin my guess is +25 mph and the wake plated down. the x-star has a decent surf wake it just takes a certain balance of weight of. I built a surf flap system and ditched it when i figured out a better weight dist in the boat now i can throw the same wave with very little lean. here is pic from last year its acutally better now smoother lip cleaner for 10-15 ft out in the wave. goofy/starboard side never can get it to clean up i get a huge wave but no good clean pocket. you can surf, and wakeboard behind any boat and make it decent its just finding what works and what doesn't its all setup. you can't go wrong with any boat in the mc line up

http://i1064.photobucket.com/albums/u379/thamax/85f9bbaa.jpg (http://s1064.photobucket.com/user/thamax/media/85f9bbaa.jpg.html)

Nordicron
08-15-2013, 11:24 AM
Thamax, how in the heck do you keep water out of the front of that star with that kinda nose weight??? Wow! I would love to ride behind a star weighted like that though! It seems to me it would make the lip way more predictable and less sensitive. What I notice with the star when it only has the factory+ pro ballast loaded is it has a lip that is on the edge of rolling over and if you pull to hard on your cut you can really screw it up. This is at 22.5 and 75'. Might be different for you guys running faster and longer.

moleson10
08-15-2013, 11:46 AM
Water over the nose in a G3star is an occupational hazard. Part of the price you pay for the sleek lines. Takes a bit of experience and you can avoid most of it. But its not a big deal, it's only water.

As for the limited seating area, I agree that's a problem for those with large families or posses. But it has that large sun pad on the back which the newer boats have abandoned and I think that's a real loss. It also has massive rear lockers. Bottom line, does it have a lot of main cockpit seating, no. Does a 911 hold a lot of luggage? Pick your priorities.

Am I a X* fan boy, hell yes.

bjames
08-15-2013, 12:11 PM

Funny :D... maybe you need a bigger board LOL!! We only do 20mph when we have junior wakeboarders with us. I typically ride 21.6-22. One of my buddies prefers 18.5mph and he is taller than me. However, I have slowed it down myself to about 18-19mph and never had any problems planing, thats not to say is a little too spongey :)

bjames
08-15-2013, 12:30 PM
Since owning the star, we have only taken water over the bow twice (both with my wife driving :D). This is with all ballast full including a 750lbs sac up front. The tip of the bow is only about 4 to 5 inches above the water, but the trick is to maintain speed when ever you come to a wave. If a roller comes towards you, give it some throttle. Personally, from comming fromthe X25 to the Star, I dodnt see any real difference in preventitive measures from keeping water from coming over the bow. Obviously from changing my driving habbits. I was swamping our first X25 a lot when surfing, but then my wife finally cuffed me on the back of the head and knocked some sense into me :D

thamax
08-15-2013, 03:17 PM
It rides low 4-5 inches above the water speed up over waves and drive smooth don't jerk the throttle around and the bow will never take on water. Nose weight= super clean and sharp lip on the wave

Bambamski1
08-17-2013, 04:31 PM
Nick

The key to your x-25 wake is getting some extra bow weight. I typically run 540 in the walkway and another 100 lbs of lead maybe up there. Stock kgb ballast and 4 people in the boat kicks out a fun wake. Its easy and fast as well. By the time my wife backs the boat in the water, parks the truck and comes down to the dock we have everything filled and we are ready to go

If we are running with three people, two in the boat one riding, we'll put some ballast in the back to get a nice lip on the wake. If you have some folks in the boat there is really no need to fill the back ballast. The 540 in the bow is your key for both surfing and boarding.

Nick911
08-17-2013, 06:16 PM
Thanks will try I do find stock set up very steep and lippy.