PDA

View Full Version : Tranny leak

JayBrown
08-09-2013, 06:20 PM
I just got in from a beautiful ride when the tranny started to slip and when I parked it and lifted the dog house there was tranny fluid everywhere!! Where would there be a seal that might be leaking? And what fluid is used for the velvet tranny? 1976 s&s :confused:

cruiser
08-09-2013, 06:28 PM
there should be a seal between the trans and the motor and the trans and the coupling. I dont have a manual, just makes sense. Dextron is what im using in my power slot.

93Prostar190
08-09-2013, 08:09 PM
Dexron III atf or equivalent .. Check seals, and tranny cooler hoses

JayBrown
08-12-2013, 09:52 AM
Do I have to pop the tranny to check the seals? The fluid that came out wasnt red?

bigmac
08-12-2013, 10:51 AM
your transmission fluid is red.

Check your engine oil, check your transmission fluid level.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-12-2013, 10:57 AM
Transmission fluid will turn brownish. If yours is brownish, it is definitely time to change it once you find the leak. In fact, I would fill, drain, run once, then drain and fill again.

Your leak is either motor oil or trans fluid. You should be able to tell by the smell which it is. Wipe some up with a clean white paper towel and give it the sniff test.

JayBrown
08-12-2013, 02:37 PM
It was definitenly the trany fluid as it is emprty. It was a brownish color so I will try some fresh fluid and see if I can find the leak but I think the tranny has to come out? Not sure where the seals are?

thatsmrmastercraft
08-12-2013, 03:00 PM
It was definitenly the trany fluid as it is emprty. It was a brownish color so I will try some fresh fluid and see if I can find the leak but I think the tranny has to come out? Not sure where the seals are?

If the trans was empty I would suspect a hose. An input or output shaft seal would be a slow leak.

etduc
08-12-2013, 03:23 PM

Most likely a hose. A common place for a hose leak is, the bass fitting that is crimped to the hose itself.(This would be a slow leak.) Or as simple at loose fitting, or blown hose.

Rear seal (on gearbox) is easy to find. Out put shaft of gear box. Front seal sometimes, you can pull your starter, and look for oil or fluid on your flywheel. Or you have to pull the gearbox. If you ran out of fluid, you probably ruined you steel and friction plates.

If you pull the gearbox, you might as well, rebuild it and replace the hoses.

93Prostar190
08-12-2013, 10:49 PM
Don't forget the o rings where the shift linkage connects to the tranny, they can leak there as well.

JayBrown
08-13-2013, 12:15 PM
I will check the hoses but it still moved alright when I pulled up to the dock so Im hopeing everthing is fine inside. Im gonna just top it up to see if I can get the weekend out of it.Also where are the hoses? Are they the ones from the tranny cooler?

thatsmrmastercraft
08-13-2013, 12:29 PM
I will check the hoses but it still moved alright when I pulled up to the dock so Im hopeing everthing is fine inside. Im gonna just top it up to see if I can get the weekend out of it.Also where are the hoses? Are they the ones from the tranny cooler?

You are correct, sir.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-13-2013, 12:33 PM
SKIDIM pricing on hoses is reasonable. If you have a hose that needs replacement, you should be able to have one made/ pick one up locally, though might be tough on a weekend.

http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1099&val=0&pagenumber=1

JayBrown
08-17-2013, 12:25 PM
Thanks Guy for all the help I found a line I could move with my hand so I tightin it up and put some fliud in it and had a successful ride so far. Im going out for a big ride today and will let you guys know.