PDA

View Full Version : '79 Stars/Stripes 351W Starting Issues

1979mastercraftpboyedition
08-09-2013, 04:07 PM
Guys,

Can't seem to get my '79 Stars/Stripes started...had a bad fuel pump, replaced with new, bad coil replaced with new, installed Pertronix Ignitor...I am getting fuel and spark from the coil and to the plugs....just won't fire.

I know a little about engines, but not a mechanic...so to me it has to be timing. My balancer only has a mark on it (no tape or anything else)...I set the timing at TDC thinking that mark is TDC...still won't fire.

Did I have to do more with the position of the rotor on the distributor when I installed the Pertronix?

By the way before I started working on it, it sat for a few years....

thatsmrmastercraft
08-09-2013, 05:11 PM
Welcome to Team Talk. I'm sure we can help you to get your boat running. A few questions to lay some groundwork:

Did it run before you started working on it?
Have you removed the distributor?
Are you working with the old fuel? If so, how old is it?
Have you tried starting fluid to get it to fire?

08-09-2013, 05:17 PM
It ran years ago, tried to start it....and it wouldn't so I started investigating and found out the fuel pump was shot and the coil was not delivering any spark.

It has a full tank of new premium fuel in it...I did not remove the distributor....

The first time I tried to start it I used some starter fluid, after the updates I have not tried to use it again.

I also replaced the fuel filter.....fuel is squirting into the carb when I move the throttle linkage but with no sight holes in the bowls I don't know if the bowls have sufficient fuel...

Brian

1redTA
08-09-2013, 05:25 PM
it takes fuel air and spark to run an engine

air, is the choke working or use starting fluid and some throttle
Spark, check the plugs for spark and set for 10 before top dead center
Fuel, again starting fluid or a little gas down the carb

thatsmrmastercraft
08-09-2013, 05:27 PM
If the accelerator pump is squirting fuel into the carb, there will be sufficient fuel in the carb to start. Lets assume for the moment that fuel is not the problem.

The Pertronix system does not require that you do anything other than install the rotor. Make sure that it is seated all the way. When I put my Pertronix in I played with my timing a little but ended up exactly where I started. You may have to play with the timing a bit. Setting it at the mark should get you at TDC, but you need to be at 10 degrees before.

cruiser
08-09-2013, 06:28 PM
I agree with all posts. Fresh fuel, Good compression, Hot spark,(at the right time) and no blockage in the exhaust and an engine will run. I saw a muskrat get blown out an of exhaust 20 ft. Boy was he suprized. 427 ford marine would not start. WHEN IT DID HE CAME OUT A FLYING.

08-11-2013, 10:13 PM
The starting fluid worked...just never had to use it on my 70 Stang...but worked like a charm.

Thanks.