View Full Version : X7 X9 or X14
08-08-2013, 03:36 PM
Looking for advice on a used MC, which one would make the best all round option for Barefooting short line from the boom ski/ slalom and some Wakeboarding?
I also thought about the 205!
08-08-2013, 04:17 PM
I don't think you can go wrong with either option but the year might matter. All those items you listed are easy in any of these boats since the basic design is small wake, but when you add Wakeboarding you are now asking for a bigger wake. My 94 PS205 has a nice wake for amateur wakeboarding and with the right weight and expert boarder, a lot could be done behind it. So your correct not to discount the 205 as an option.
I cant help with the other choices because I haven't been able (or allowed) to wakeboard behind MGBOYD25's X7, ZSQURE's 209, and 93PROSTAR190 hit a darn log before I was able to wakeboard behind is 214... :(
08-09-2013, 03:52 AM
My X7 does everything you want. Eldest Daughter Wakeboard (including aerials), Wakeskis and wakeskate (sac full) plus long line 'footing and boom backwards footing/
Wife and Youngest daughter slalom (sac empty)
Plus all the toys, kneeboards etc. The only thing it wont do with single sac is any "surfing on the wake"
As an affordable crossover boat the X7 is great.
08-09-2013, 07:23 AM
Ok DoubleD you can ride behind my 214.... Quit your crying ... Back to the subject
The x14 is really versatile boat with very nice ski wakes for open and course slalom. Our 214 is the same hull but we don't have ballast on it. Even without ballast the kids (10 & 14) do all their tricks no issue at 20mph ... If you really like your wake boarding then the x series ballast comes in handy...
08-09-2013, 08:17 AM
I have an X14 and love it. I am a skier but do pull a lot of friends on wakeboards. The ballast helps with the wake, but you are still just a ski boat hull with additional weight. (its no X Star for wakeboarding) For our use, this is the best boat on the market. Ours is an 08 and would probably be on the market if they still made a new X14. Until then......I'm keeping mine!
Good luck with the decision. You can go wrong with any of your choices.
08-09-2013, 08:43 AM
My 209 with a tower, throws a pretty good spray to side of boat when using the boom. I have extension piece on my boom and that helps a lot, but until you get up to speed the spray is present.
08-12-2013, 11:38 AM
I have the '01 209 with a ND tower and a tower boom. I love my boat for many reasons. but I have to be fair.
Reasons to love it.
1) It has a ton of room for all day on the river.
2) I can put our youngest in his bassinet along side the engine.
3) Handles rough water fairly well.
4) Throws a decent wakeboard wake without need for ballast
Reasons I don't like it.
1) MC didn't put hook in the hull so it porpoises at barefoot speed
2) Slalom wake is big and wide.
3) Wakeboard wake it wide - just shorten the rope
4) Need the boom extension to get clear of spray.
It is not a slalom boat, not a wakeboard boat, not a barefoot boat but you can do it all reasonably well and satisfy the whole family.
08-12-2013, 03:22 PM
I just purchased a 2006 X9 and am still learning the boat but here's what I know thus far!
1. The boat can hold a ton of people. I'm no longer tripping over people, etc.
2. Slalom at 32 mph @15 off, full tank of gas, and 8 people in the boat and the wake was pretty large. I wasn't expecting the wake I had on my centurion but it was big.
3. Slalom at 34 mph @22 off, 1/4-1/2 tank of gas, and 2 people in the boat, the wake was incredible, ski on edge and flew through the wakes!
4. Wakeboard wake with the standard ballast, full tank of gas and 3 people in boat was pretty good, I had fun.
5. This weekend I hope to long line foot on the boat.
6. I hooked up my boom and notice the spray others have talked about.
7. The kids loved tubing behind the boat!
That's all I've got thus far! Here's a shot of my ski wake at 32 mph.
08-12-2013, 03:41 PM
I suggest the 2014 prostar
08-12-2013, 04:34 PM
I'd suggest the x7 or x14.. Never been a fan of the x9, it felt as if the handling wasn't as smooth. Not bad boats but I think the x7 and x14 were dialed in a little more.
08-12-2013, 08:41 PM
X9 will be the biggest wakeboard wake, fun to surf. Downside is the slalom wake.