PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Pass on older boat.

H20skeefreek
09-07-2004, 10:01 AM
If i can come up with the money, i want to put Perfect Pass on my '85. I don't hear about many carbed boats with PP, does anyone on hear have it with a carbed boat? How easy is the install, does anyone have a picture of the unit?

east tx skier
09-07-2004, 10:06 AM
I've got Digital Pro 6.4 on my 93 with a 351 HO. Install was easy. I just drove it to the dealer, dropped it off, and 3 hours later, it was all done.

But seriously, I don't think there's any more to it with the carb boats than with the fuel injected boats. I'm not really one to tackle projects like this, but the fact that a hole would have to be drilled in the hull for the paddle wheel speedo was enough to let a pro handle it. If you're just doing slalom (no wakeboarding), I'd say go with the PP plus, and not mess with the paddle wheel.

There's a good "how to" on the subject on the malibu boat owners board complete with pictures.

Robert Averyt
09-07-2004, 10:57 AM
I have installed it on four boats. My old 1995 205 my new 2001 190
My friends 1994 205 another friends 86 american skier. Wonderful instructions with color pictures.

I can not imagine life with out perfect pass.

The old days of hanging out the side of a boat with a stop watch are gone.

Robert Averyt

PeteS
09-07-2004, 11:18 AM
I'm thinking of going with the Perfect Pass Cruise for my 88'. Say's it the same great RPM based pull as the Pro system, just with a few less bells & whistels for $675.00.

I've heard the install on the RPM based systems is quite simple. Let us know how it goes.

east tx skier
09-07-2004, 11:31 AM
Pete, I don't have personal experience with the base cruise system, but I remember reading on the old board that the pull was a little less than someone had hoped. I don't know of any reason it shouldn't work fine though. So if you end up getting it, give us a full report on it. If you plan on using it in a ski course though, I'd spend a few extra $$ and go with the Perfect Pass Plus, at least.

H20skeefreek
09-07-2004, 11:33 AM
I've been looking at the accuski as well. I want something inexpensive, but the auto-pull function on the accuski sounds great. is this available on the PP?

Robert Averyt
09-07-2004, 11:37 AM
I prefer the perfect pass system. I have operated both and really do like PP.

PeteS
09-07-2004, 11:38 AM
You may be right, Tex. We are all slalom and it appears that there may be a few features in the Plus that would be quite beneficial on the course. I wonder if I can dig up the old post someplace on the old board. I'll search, and if I find it, I'll post.

east tx skier
09-07-2004, 11:39 AM
I don't think PP has the auto-pullup feature. I've heard both good and bad about it. I've heard accuski gives a good pull though.

bradamerry
09-07-2004, 11:44 AM
What would a PP for my 87' 351 powerslot run me?

Robert Averyt
09-07-2004, 11:54 AM
Call Max at Skier to skier http://www.skiertoskier.com/ or call perfect pass direct.

I started with the plus system when all I was doing was slalom and then upgraded my plus system to digital pro. The upgrade was reasonable and easy.

east tx skier
09-07-2004, 12:02 PM
Brad, it depends which one you get. Roughly, a perfect pass plus runs between $850 - $900 (going totally on memory). With that, you get an RPM based system with no digital speedo. Figure $150 if you add a magnet sensor). My digital pro 6.4 from schnitz ran me about $1,150 if memory serves.

T Scott
09-07-2004, 12:35 PM
I have owned both Perfect Pass and Accuski systems over the last few years. Both are great systems. I like the Accuski a bit better because it does everything the PP can do PLUS the auto pull up feature. The auto pull up is really cool. You can pre program up to 9 skiers each with their own pull up rates. As you know, some skiers like a hot start and others may prefer a softer start. The accuski takes care of this problem for you. No more trying to tell a driver how you like to be pulled up. With the accuski, it is as simple as "Hey I'm preset #2" hit it.
I have even used my Accuski for barefooting. I can do a back deep behind the boat with a good driver. Now, I put the Accuski in slalom mode and preset the target speed for 39mph and adjust the right pull up rate (1-100 scale) My wife (not the best driver) :steering: can give me a great pull with the Accuski.
This is not a commercial for Accuski, but I do think it has some great features that PP does not. Do your homework. :twocents:

rmc1
09-07-2004, 01:49 PM
I have perfect pass on my 92 prostar powerslot 285hp. It is a carbed boat and it works great. It is easy to set up in the course. Have had it installed on my boat since 98 with no problems. Also the help you get from the the people at perfect pass is great. If you have a question all you need to do is call or email them and they will give you the help needed. It is rpm based for jump, slalom and wakeboarding modes. Speedo based for trick mode. I have not used the wakeboard mode but the other three I have used and they preform great.

east tx skier
09-07-2004, 02:02 PM
Actually, I believe it is speed based in Wakeboard mode, as well as trick mode.

H20skeefreek
09-07-2004, 02:44 PM
Actually, I believe it is speed based in Wakeboard mode, as well as trick mode.

can anyone explain why one would be better than the other (speed vs. rpm) for one sport but not another? this kind of confuses me. I would think speed mode would be the most accurate way for everything.

rmc1
09-07-2004, 06:28 PM
iN ANSWER TO THE QUESTION ABOUT RPM VERSES SPEED BASED ON SPEED BASED PICKUPS CAN GET PLUGED, OR THE PICKUPS CAN WEAR OVER THE YEARS AND GIVE FALSE READINGS. WITH RPM BASED THE SPEED IS DETERMINED BY THE AMT OF RPMS IT TAKES TO GET TO THAT SPEED. ALSO WHEN YOU ADD THE WEIGHT OF THE BOAT CREW THAT IS ALSO BEEN FIGURED TTEH AMT OF RPMS NEEDED PER 100 LBS OF WEIGHT OF TEH CREW. ALSO THE WEIGHT FACTOR OF THE SKIER IS FIGURED IN RPMS AS ANY HEAD OR TAIL WIND THAT MIGHT BE PRESENT
IN TRICKS THE SPEED IS SET BY THE SKIER PERSONAL PREFERANCE ACCORDING TO THE TYPE OF WATER WHERE IN SLALOM AND JUMP IS A SET SPEED FOR THE COURSE BEING USED. ALSO RPM BASED IS A QUICKER RESPONSE BECAUSE THE COMPUTER NOTICES A DROP IN RPMS QUICKER THAN IT WOULD IN SPEEDO MODE. iF THE PP COMES WITH A PADDLE WHEEL IT IS MORE ACURATE THAN THE OLD PICUP. THE PADDLE WHEEL SENDS A SIGNAL UP TO THE DIGITAL SPEEDO BUILT IN THE PP HEAD.
IF YOU HAVE EVER TIMED A BOAT THRU ACOURSE AND THEN WENT BACK AND TIMED IT AGAIN LATER YOU WILL NOTICE THE CHANGE IN THE SPEEDOS. RPM BASED DOSE NOT CHANGE.
I ALSO RECHECKED MY MANUAL AND WAKEBOARD IS RPM BASED.

H20skeefreek
09-07-2004, 07:18 PM
iN ANSWER TO THE QUESTION ABOUT RPM VERSES SPEED BASED ON SPEED BASED PICKUPS CAN GET PLUGED, OR THE PICKUPS CAN WEAR OVER THE YEARS AND GIVE FALSE READINGS. WITH RPM BASED THE SPEED IS DETERMINED BY THE AMT OF RPMS IT TAKES TO GET TO THAT SPEED. ALSO WHEN YOU ADD THE WEIGHT OF THE BOAT CREW THAT IS ALSO BEEN FIGURED TTEH AMT OF RPMS NEEDED PER 100 LBS OF WEIGHT OF TEH CREW. ALSO THE WEIGHT FACTOR OF THE SKIER IS FIGURED IN RPMS AS ANY HEAD OR TAIL WIND THAT MIGHT BE PRESENT
IN TRICKS THE SPEED IS SET BY THE SKIER PERSONAL PREFERANCE ACCORDING TO THE TYPE OF WATER WHERE IN SLALOM AND JUMP IS A SET SPEED FOR THE COURSE BEING USED. ALSO RPM BASED IS A QUICKER RESPONSE BECAUSE THE COMPUTER NOTICES A DROP IN RPMS QUICKER THAN IT WOULD IN SPEEDO MODE. iF THE PP COMES WITH A PADDLE WHEEL IT IS MORE ACURATE THAN THE OLD PICUP. THE PADDLE WHEEL SENDS A SIGNAL UP TO THE DIGITAL SPEEDO BUILT IN THE PP HEAD.
IF YOU HAVE EVER TIMED A BOAT THRU ACOURSE AND THEN WENT BACK AND TIMED IT AGAIN LATER YOU WILL NOTICE THE CHANGE IN THE SPEEDOS. RPM BASED DOSE NOT CHANGE.

whoaaaaaa chief, why all the yelling?? :D

the main thing i get is that rpm wouldn't account for current/wind and would respond faster to changes, whereas the speed would account for current/wind, so why not always go with speed?

east tx skier
09-08-2004, 10:13 AM

Actually, we're both right. You can run wakeboard mode in either RPM or speed mode in Wakeboard or digital pro. It is only limited to RPM mode in PP Plus.

Here is a quote from the Digital Pro 6.5 manual available at www.perfectpass.com

Section 5. WAKEBOARD MODES
There are two operating modes to choose from. RPM Mode or Speed based Wakeboard Mode which uses the signal from the paddle wheel.

Why two choices ?

Some prefer the pull of the RPM mode which is very smooth, particularly if you do not have a large load such as fat sacs & numerous people. If the boat is heavily loaded, the rpm mode may not control well coming out of the turns or recover speed quickly enough after a strong pull. RPM mode is also ideal for open water slalom skiing and other towed water
sports.

The speed based wakeboard mode is generally more accurate and load does not generally affect its ability to control speed.

NeilM
09-08-2004, 10:32 AM
Ahh... quote the manual.... good idea, Doug.

H2O - One of my friends uses speed mode for everything - never uses RPM mode.

I find that the RPM mode works great for open-water slalom - especially if there's some chop that sometimes confuses my paddlewheel [separate issue] - it's a steady, easy pull.
RPM mode is virtually useless at really slow speeds (e.g. 10.3mph) used for wakesurfing - there are too many variables at play (how many people are in the boat, where they sit, how much fuel in the tank, etc)

east tx skier
09-08-2004, 02:34 PM
I tried speed mode for open water slalom and it was not smooth at all. Anyone have the slalom switch? Thoughts?

G-man
09-08-2004, 02:57 PM
I have the Slalom Switch and have only skied behind it that way once. It is primarly made for a skier that skis 22 off or more. Using it gives you and adjustment that can be made for a hard pull around the bouy or a little softer pull. One of my friends weighs 230lbs and swears he has to have it. The switch is used only on rpm modes jump and slalom. My understanding of the paddle wheel is that it is for speeds 26mph and slower.

east tx skier
09-08-2004, 03:01 PM
One of the first few times I skied the course, I skied behind a boat that was using the switch. I was worried about more things than the quality of my pull. :) It's not required in tournaments, is it (just out of curiosity).

G-man
09-08-2004, 03:54 PM
The switch can be turned off - kx=0 All tournament boats I saw this year had it. The switch settings are something the skier tells the driver along with their weight.