PDA

View Full Version : Anchor Recommendations - ProStar 209

TripleThreat
08-07-2013, 10:07 PM
Need to purchase an anchor for use on my ProStar 209.

Wondering what you would recommend.

Will use in Indiana lakes, mostly...

swatguy
08-07-2013, 10:20 PM
Box anchors work great and fold into storage nicely. They are bit pricey but hold in everything.

fskof
08-07-2013, 10:21 PM
I use the Box Anchor (size: small) for my 209.

http://slideanchor.com/store/index.php/the-box-anchor.html

jakethebt
08-07-2013, 10:31 PM
I use a box anchor for my 205. It is the most recommended anchor on here by far. There was a discount on here earlier this spring. Seemed like a friend of the company owner or the owner himself was on here. May be albe to still get it. I would recommend a google search for mastercraft and box anchor.

jmorone
08-07-2013, 10:36 PM
Box anchor.

GoneBoatN
08-08-2013, 12:06 AM
In addition to the box anchor, I would recommend the Anchor Buddy anchor line. My experience is that with the combination of the two, my boat NEVER "walks" while at anchor.

FrankSchwab
08-08-2013, 02:01 AM
Wow, the price sure has gone up since I bought mine.

But I'd certainly recommend one.

onewheat
08-08-2013, 12:14 PM
They recommend the Small for "Offshore / Sport 18' to 30', cabin cruiser to 24'." Anyone not have the small workout for them on a MC and need to go to a Medium?

chriscraftmatt1976
08-08-2013, 12:52 PM
I use standard aluminum drag anchors, but I generally only anchor up at the sandbar, not in the deep. Never even heard of a box anchor till this thread. Looks interesting.

bsloop
08-08-2013, 03:13 PM
They recommend the Small for "Offshore / Sport 18' to 30', cabin cruiser to 24'." Anyone not have the small workout for them on a MC and need to go to a Medium?

There is no "medium", Large is the next size and yes.
In the mud/silt we normally cove the Small is barely sufficient for a 21' boat. It was not up to the task of my 24'. The Large will hold my boat and another in a decent 15mph wind.
Why is this important? Conditions are not often ideal and not everyone has a proper anchor so as long as you are spending the money, get the larger size.

Tri4X2
08-08-2013, 03:42 PM
Box anchor... I was not sold on it until my wife bought one for me.... Would never have another anchor

JRW160
08-08-2013, 03:43 PM
The small has worked great for me. It holds 4 boats in 2-4mph current with constant rollers coming in from other boats. I'm sure there are situations where you may need a larger anchor, but I honestly see myself needing a larger one.

drschemel
08-08-2013, 06:22 PM
I have a 15# modified mushroom anchor. I only use it to swim and not to anchor overnight. There are a lot of submerged stumps and logs in Beaver Lake. I would hate to loose a $110 anchor!

onewheat
08-08-2013, 07:26 PM
There is no "medium", Large is the next size and yes.
In the mud/silt we normally cove the Small is barely sufficient for a 21' boat. It was not up to the task of my 24'. The Large will hold my boat and another in a decent 15mph wind.
Why is this important? Conditions are not often ideal and not everyone has a proper anchor so as long as you are spending the money, get the larger size.

Thanks - there is only a $30 difference between the small and large, so I'd rather spend the extra $30 to be sure it worked. They size them like McDonalds- small, large and extra-large - no mediums?

I have a 15# modified mushroom anchor. I only use it to swim and not to anchor overnight. There are a lot of submerged stumps and logs in Beaver Lake. I would hate to loose a $110 anchor!

I already have a $40 anchor that does nothing but drip muddy water into the boat. I have never been able to get it to hold us when I wanted to. It is a Chene anchor and it sucks - even with 6' of heavy chain and a long payout, I have drifting problems. Granted, the rule of thumb is something like payout to 5x the depth - that isn't happening in 50 feet of water to anchor in a party cove. I do like the 2x rule for the box anchor. I would be bummed out if I lost a $180 anchor, but I would fight that thing like a marlin for hours before I cut it free if it got stuck.

TN X-45
08-08-2013, 08:21 PM
Once everyone knows you have a box anchor, they will never throw theirs again. Go for the bigger one.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

GoneBoatN
08-08-2013, 08:34 PM
I'll be the naysayer on the larger. I have the small and it holds the X-15 well and never had a problem. I find unfolding the small box anchor and latching it a bit cumbersome and would not want a larger/heavier one due to that. To each their own...

zsqure
08-08-2013, 09:07 PM
I have a small box anchor. And have a 209. I had a mushroom with my 88 ps190 and. With a breeze I would drag. No problem with the box anchor on the bigger boat.

TripleThreat
08-08-2013, 10:21 PM
Anybody spring for the stainless version? Is it worth it for use in fresh water? Besides the bling factor, what would the real world advantage be? Would the hot galvanized rust easily?

bsloop
08-08-2013, 10:46 PM
Anybody spring for the stainless version? Is it worth it for use in fresh water? Besides the bling factor, what would the real world advantage be? Would the hot galvanized rust easily?

My buddy has the stainless. Definitely pretty to look at.
The polished surface also would hold less mud/dirty water than galvanized.
Galvanized will discolor into rustish color after several years in a damp anchor locker. Not really full rust just not new looking.

My boat has an anchor locker so no worries but those that don't will often store in an under the bed style plastic storage box under a seat or in a rough neck bin in the rear. I have also seen the best of both; sacrificing a rough neck and cutting it down to fit under the seat.

GoneBoatN
08-08-2013, 11:11 PM

I have the galvanized version. It seems to get a blackish residue on it even though it does not get used much. That ends up getting on your hands while handling it. The problem is remembering to wipe your hands off before handling something else. Before I realized what was going on I was wondering how those black smudges were getting on the captain's seat... No rust what so ever in three years.

For the cost, I would still not get the stainless version. I just need to remember to wipe my hands after handling the anchor.

zamboniman
08-08-2013, 11:12 PM
Don't over think this. Its an anchor and sits on the bottom. I've had great luck with an old trusty cheap " navy " anchor. Thing holds like a champ and if I lost it wouldn't lose a minute of sleep. I'm sure the box is amazing but when a fraction of the price is getting it done that's a tough sell. Also if anchoring in shallow water like a sandbar the box could really leave a mark if stepped on.
Also must say I've never seen a mushroom hold ever.

gwozhog
08-09-2013, 12:02 AM
I use a 25 dumbbell that was sitting in my gym. I find it gets used as anchor 10 times more than as a piece of exercise equipment.

onewheat
08-09-2013, 03:04 AM
Don't over think this. Its an anchor and sits on the bottom. I've had great luck with an old trusty cheap " navy " anchor. Thing holds like a champ and if I lost it wouldn't lose a minute of sleep. I'm sure the box is amazing but when a fraction of the price is getting it done that's a tough sell. Also if anchoring in shallow water like a sandbar the box could really leave a mark if stepped on.
Also must say I've never seen a mushroom hold ever.

I've seen those Navy anchors. They are as big as my boat. I hope it would hold well. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TripleThreat
08-09-2013, 10:56 AM
Not trying to over think it, just trying to make a wise purchase. Planning to keep this boat for a long time and I want to purchase an anchor that works well and doesn't mess up the interior of my boat by rusting all over the place or getting the interior filthy.

I learned a long time ago that going cheap can really cost more in the long run with frustration, replacements, etc.

I'm not into wasting cash, but buying the right thing, that will last years and do exactly what I expect without any side issues, improves my ownership experience over the life of the product.

Still not sure what I will do, but it sounds like the box anchor does a great job of holding the boat and folds down to a reasonable size when not in use.