PDA

View Full Version : Boat won't turn off

DemolitionMan
08-07-2013, 10:34 PM
2008 197 TT MCX

Took the boat out for the first time in 3 weeks. Cranked up fine but the gauges did not work, tried to turn the boat off but no luck pulled the lanyard and nothing. I finally had to kill it at the battery. Had to do this twice then everything started working fine. Has anyone else had this problem.

mikeg205
08-08-2013, 12:51 AM
scary that the lanyard did not kill the motor.... good luck finding the issue... corrosion I bet.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-08-2013, 01:58 AM
I suspect a bad ignition switch and a disabled lanyard.

jmw
08-08-2013, 05:13 AM
Mine wouldn't turn off once and I discovered it was a bad connection at the battery. I assume somehow the boat knew that if it was turned off that there was not enough voltage to restart and therefore would not turn off. After I figured out what was the problem, I realized it was good thing to keep you from being stranded on the water. The big difference was mine would not turn off with the key but with the key off and pulling the lanyard it would shut off. Did you have the key off when you pulled the lanyard? Maybe someone has disconnected your lanyard... Also, I don't see how disconnecting the battery would turn off the engine because it should still stay running using the voltage from alternator.

Dino Don
08-08-2013, 08:50 AM
Ground cable at the engine was mine-----

Ajborel@msn.com
08-08-2013, 11:27 AM
I had this problem last month first I replaced the ign switch all was good for a day then it returned and I had a battery drain and my alt was not charging removed alt took it to shop it checke ok. Reinstalled still had battery drain after lots a work removing all wires and connections cleaning and reinstalled boat still had a drain long story short it did turn out to be the alt regulator shorted I suspect this put power to the purple wire ign wire. 2008 could be different then my 94 lt1 205 my boat has been perfect since then

TayMC197
08-08-2013, 11:59 AM
2008 197 TT MCX

Took the boat out for the first time in 3 weeks. Cranked up fine but the gauges did not work, tried to turn the boat off but no luck pulled the lanyard and nothing. I finally had to kill it at the battery. Had to do this twice then everything started working fine. Has anyone else had this problem.

The advantage is it reduces wear on the starter. Stop being so negative.