PDA

View Full Version : engine bogging down at 3200 rpm's

LGP
08-07-2013, 06:33 PM
1985 SS. Runs great but while pulling a skier I could feel something as if my prop was fouled. I noticed the tach drop from 3200 to 2000 rpm. I didn't lose speed, my temp gauge was fine. This problem is very sporadic and does not happen when not pulling a skier. I thought maybe was in my fuel and added something to eliminate that problem. I have not checked my fuel filter as I had to leave out of town. any ideas??

thatsmrmastercraft
08-07-2013, 06:38 PM
That leaves a pretty good list of things yet to be checked in the ignition and fuel systems. If it were my boat, I would go through all the basics first.

LGP
08-07-2013, 06:58 PM
what would be your list of things to look at first?

thatsmrmastercraft
08-07-2013, 07:06 PM
Ignition parts:
points if you haven't replaced with EI
plugs
dist cap & rotor
plug wires
timing / advance operation
Fuel system:
filters
fuel quality (don't know of anything that will restore fuel quality once it's bad)
fuel line from tank to carb (if never replaced with ethanol resistant line)
carb condition
flame arrestor

Is this a relatively new problem?
Has the boat sat for a long period of time?

LGP
08-07-2013, 08:20 PM
this boat is new to me. Did have it professionally worked on with regards to other things but nothing that would have taken rpms to 3200.
Do have electronic ignition, new fuel line from tank. I thought it might be the carb but when I do not have a load and push it... the boat runs fine. I have put a tank of fuel through it since putting in the water so any bad fuel is probably gone.