PDA

View Full Version : Really need your help

6ballsisall
10-14-2005, 03:03 PM
Guys and Gals I really need your help!! As has been posted here before, I am going thru the lemon law process on my 04' Dodge Durango. At first all seemed to be going smoothly, promises were made, I was told this fit the lemon law criteria and Dodge corporate said this would be quickly rectified. 1 1/2 months later and 4 deadlines promised by Daimler Chrsyler have now been broken and when I call to get an update the only response I can get is "someone from the local business center will be contacting you sometime" I cant get a definitive answer of who that is and when they will call (again 4 times I've been told this and each promise broken)
I started the process professionally and pleasantly. At this point I have brought out the lemon law case and the attorney word if dates aren't met and clearly they don't give a Sh$$. Where I am asking for help is if anyone has any contacts at Daimler Chrysler that might be able to get this moving as promised. Local dealers might know who to call. There are attorneys that deal with cases like this but there fees are very high.

Any and all advice is welcome to this lifetime Dodge owner never to own again.

Andyg
10-14-2005, 03:10 PM
I wouldn't mess around without a lawyer. My coworker went through lemon law with Ford and it took over a year to get it resolved. It finally got resolved the day the case was scheduled to go to court. The auto manufacturers will just jerk you around until you get sick of dealing with it and leave them alone. If you hire a lawyer they will also be able to get your legal costs covered as part of your settlement.

east tx skier
10-14-2005, 03:17 PM
If Indiana is anything like Texas, then the lemon law is a tie-in statute to your state's Deceptive Trade Practices Act. In Texas, not only can you recoupe your attorney's fees, if successful, but you can also recover treble (that's 3x) damages.

When I have problems as a consumer, I immediately go into record keeping mode. I document everything. If I have a phone conversation, I write down the time, the name, and take notes as to what both parties said. I then type up a letter to the company with whom I'm dealing memorializing that conversation and putting in there that if they have any questions, or if my letter doesn't accurately reflect the conversation, to please contact me at once. I fax it to them and save a copy of the fax confirmation.

Paper, paper, paper. But that's just my M.O. as a consumer. Lawyers and lawsuits are what I consider desparate measures. If you haven't already, no need to mention lawyer to them. Just keep meticulous records. And be aware of what the statute of limitations is on a DTPA/Lemon claim (2 years in Texas).

3event
10-14-2005, 03:42 PM
From past customer service problems , DITTO on the recordkeeping advice - document everything.

When we had trouble with Ford, we got in touch with the District Service Manager - if you havent done that it might be a place to start escalating up the Daimler ladder (presuming dealer is good for nothing at this point). I would always start at the bottom and then move up the ladder when someone failed/copped out. Don't leap up a couple levels - try solving it at each level and then move up the chain. I have used the genl cust svc #s to start before, Dodge lists theirs as 1-800-992-1997. For one furniture mfr, that got us to the VP of Sales eventually....

Finally, no matter how frustrating it sure helps if you can be cool and collected all the time, and just persistent as heck. Even if the guy is an idiot, persist in making your case - once you get a firefight started it's hard to get cooperation.

Good luck!

milkmania
10-14-2005, 03:47 PM
And be aware of what the statute of limitations is on a DTPA/Lemon claim (2 years in Texas).
ETS,
is that even after a the first claim has been started?
The way I see it is if you don't aggressively pursue them, they could hold you at bay for 2 years, and give you the 2 year run around.

jrandol,
if I may ask...
what are your issues with the 04 Durango? you can go into as much detail as you care to, or not:)
I'm curious as my son has an 04 Ram

erkoehler
10-14-2005, 03:55 PM
Having talked w/ my dealer about many of the same issues as JR is having, I have already been screwed since my truck was bought as a demo vehicle.

His issues were involving overall quality and brakes if I remember correctly.

east tx skier
10-14-2005, 03:57 PM
Typically, a SOL runs from the time of the injury-causing event. There are all sorts of senarios where it's tolled though. All state-specific stuff.

6ballsisall
10-14-2005, 04:01 PM
If Indiana is anything like Texas, then the lemon law is a tie-in statute to your state's Deceptive Trade Practices Act. In Texas, not only can you recoupe your attorney's fees, if successful, but you can also recover treble (that's 3x) damages.

When I have problems as a consumer, I immediately go into record keeping mode. I document everything. If I have a phone conversation, I write down the time, the name, and take notes as to what both parties said. I then type up a letter to the company with whom I'm dealing memorializing that conversation and putting in there that if they have any questions, or if my letter doesn't accurately reflect the conversation, to please contact me at once. I fax it to them and save a copy of the fax confirmation.

Paper, paper, paper. But that's just my M.O. as a consumer. Lawyers and lawsuits are what I consider desparate measures. If you haven't already, no need to mention lawyer to them. Just keep meticulous records. And be aware of what the statute of limitations is on a DTPA/Lemon claim (2 years in Texas).

Thanks Doug. I have a documented conversation of every phone call and conversation I have had with DC. I just got off the phone with them and after the 4th transfer of you need to talk with this guy, when I asked for his employee ID number he refused to give it to me and or tell me what his role or dept. he was with at the company!! What pissed me off is that I was EXTREMELY friendly to him (don't shoot the messenger approach) I am so F***** pissed at DC I am ready to ram this POS up Lee Iaccoca's a$$!!! :mad:

6ballsisall
10-14-2005, 04:04 PM
For those curious as to the issues to my Durango, here is the letter we wrote to DC as required per the Lemon Law

September 10, 2005
Daimler Chrysler Motors Company LLC
Customer Center
P.O. Box 21-8004
Auburn Hills, MI 48321-8004
To Whom It May Concern:
This letter is begin the Lemon Law process of our 2004 Dodge Durango. This vehicle was purchased new in Milford, Ohio and we will be filing this vehicle under the State of Ohio Lemon Law statutes. As requested per the Lemon Law booklet included during the purchase of this vehicle, here is the requested information:
Customer Name: Jeff & Debi Randol

VIN Number: 1D4HB58D14F192309
Date of Purchase: 6-28-2004
Servicing Dealer: Kerry Dodge (Milford, OH) & Kidd Dodge (Lawrenceburg, IN)
Number of Days vehicle has been out of service: 24 days
Number of repair attempts to repair same condition: 6 attempts
Description of problems: Since purchased new this vehicle has had considerably loud squeaks and other noises coming from the rear of the vehicle. These squeaks are so loud that it can inhibit a conversation while driving the vehicle and could further pose a safety hazard to the driver. Neither dealership that the vehicle has been to has been able to repair the problem but both admit that this problem exists. On August 17, 2005 we contacted Daimler Chrysler and spoke with Cheryl (Employee ID # SLD58.) The purpose of our call was to get direction as to the repairs of our vehicle as we had just left Kidd Dodge and been informed that they would no longer work on this vehicle as they didnít know how to fix the problem. During our phone conversation with Cheryl we were given the following case number: 13936900 and asked to return to the dealer with this number and arrange for one final attempt at fixing the vehicle. We were told by Cheryl a service technician directly from Daimler Chrysler would oversee the repairs to our vehicle. Cheryl further informed us that if the vehicle was not repaired after this visit to consult to the Lemon Law manual included in owners manual as this vehicle would qualify under the state Lemon Law. We immediately scheduled an appointment with Kidd Dodge and gave Buzz, the service manager the information given to us by Cheryl. When we returned to pick up the vehicle after repairs we were greeted by Buzz, the service manager, and told that they were less than 50% sure the problem was fixed as everyone still was uncertain where the noises are coming from. Buzz did acknowledge that the problem exists but no one is able to fix the problem.
Given that the vehicle has been in for repairs more than the required visits for Ohioís Lemon Law, we wish to declare this vehicle under the states Lemon Law. Daimler Chryslers swift response and appropriate reaction to this case will be greatly appreciated and noted.
Thank you,

Jeff & Debi Randol

6ballsisall
10-14-2005, 04:05 PM
From past customer service problems , DITTO on the recordkeeping advice - document everything.

When we had trouble with Ford, we got in touch with the District Service Manager - if you havent done that it might be a place to start escalating up the Daimler ladder (presuming dealer is good for nothing at this point). I would always start at the bottom and then move up the ladder when someone failed/copped out. Don't leap up a couple levels - try solving it at each level and then move up the chain. I have used the genl cust svc #s to start before, Dodge lists theirs as 1-800-992-1997. For one furniture mfr, that got us to the VP of Sales eventually....

Finally, no matter how frustrating it sure helps if you can be cool and collected all the time, and just persistent as heck. Even if the guy is an idiot, persist in making your case - once you get a firefight started it's hard to get cooperation.

Good luck!

How would I get the District Service Managers contact info?

east tx skier
10-14-2005, 04:08 PM
Thanks Doug. I have a documented conversation of every phone call and conversation I have had with DC. I just got off the phone with them and after the 4th transfer of you need to talk with this guy, when I asked for his employee ID number he refused to give it to me and or tell me what his role or dept. he was with at the company!! What pissed me off is that I was EXTREMELY friendly to him (don't shoot the messenger approach) I am so F***** pissed at DC I am ready to ram this POS up Lee Iaccoca's a$$!!! :mad:

Don't forget to send it their way by fax so you can get that confirmation. It also doesn't hurt for them to see you're documenting everything. It might cause them to take you more seriously without your having to call in the calvary (that is the goal).

6ballsisall
10-14-2005, 04:11 PM
Don't forget to send it their way by fax so you can get that confirmation. It also doesn't hurt for them to see you're documenting everything. It might cause them to take you more seriously without your having to call in the calvary (that is the goal).
Thanks, I will try that.

I need a stiff drink, my blood pressure is rising :mad:

3event
10-14-2005, 04:17 PM
If you can find anyone at one of those dealers (even a salesman or sls mgr) to give you the name.... then call Dodge Cust Svc and ask how to reach the person. Or just try the customer service number and ask who the dist serv mgr is for your area, explain that you are having trouble getting resolution thru dealer and need some help.

In our case, the Svc Mgr at the dealer told us the guy's name , he was trying to help the process along as best he could.

I can see you've gone along the path quite a way already . . .

I don't know if they are useful or not, but we all do pay the salaries of the folks at our state's dept of consumer protection / attorney general office. Betcha they have some advice on lemon law, but maybe not much more than you have already learned.......

Leroy
10-14-2005, 04:18 PM
Jeff; Well fool you once shame on them, buy another and well I think you are smarter than that.

I'm partial to these, here is what I would buy. Will last forever, pull anything, good room, and I've never heard of a unhappy owner. Like Honda Accords!

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=21&paId=132100763&pageNumber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfield=PRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&recnum=0&leadExists=true&criteria=K-%7CE-%7CM-_27_%7CB-30000%7CA-25000%7CD-_1303_%7CN-N%7CR-250%7CI-1%7CP-PRICE+descending%7CQ-descending%7CZ-46202&aff=starnews

Cloaked
10-14-2005, 04:50 PM
Leroy, Leroy, Leroy....... No place for a good load of firewood... :D

I do indeed like my Honda Accord too...

Leroy
10-14-2005, 04:56 PM
Sporty, already hauled too many truck loads at $25 a load, somethings you hope are in your past. If Honda Accords would pull my boat I would have one so quick, kinda want to get an old one as a around town car, :D oh well the Odyssey does that ok.

east tx skier
10-14-2005, 05:00 PM
Leroy, I hear that. In fact, I traded my 96 accord for my 01 expedition. Last month, I parked my expedition, and bought a 2000 accord. Love that Honda. Truck doesn't go many places without the boat these days.

Leroy
10-14-2005, 05:07 PM
Exactly what I am thinking! :toast: We need a pull machine co-op!

Leroy, I hear that. In fact, I traded my 96 accord for my 01 expedition. Last month, I parked my expedition, and bought a 2000 accord. Love that Honda. Truck doesn't go many places without the boat these days.

east tx skier
10-14-2005, 05:31 PM
Yeah, or I just need to build some covered storage at the lake.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
10-14-2005, 05:47 PM
JR, I work at a franchised auto dealer I will PM you.

milkmania
10-14-2005, 05:47 PM
Thanks, I will try that.

I need a stiff drink, my blood pressure is rising :mad:

that's what Friday's are forhttp://deephousepage.com/smilies/eusa_dance.gifhttp://deephousepage.com/smilies/all_coholic.gif

LakePirate
10-14-2005, 06:05 PM
We had a volvo station wagon back in the late 80s (prior to lemon laws) that we had to get taken back. Fortunately, or not, for us they delivered the wrong car (Vin# didn't match the loan paperwork) so we had some recourse. That car was a bust, they delivered it, we jumped in it to go to Braves spring training and going over the inter-coastal waterway in Palm Beach it died. Died again on the way home and several times after that (I always enjoyed when it died in the outside lane on I-285 on the way back home from the dealership where it had been for repairs). When I say died I mean nothing, nada. Wouldn't even turn over. Even with proof that they had not delivered the car we bought and proof that they had tried to deliver it to someone else we had to lawyer up for them to take it back.

Hoosier Bob
10-14-2005, 06:09 PM
Jeff,
If you live in Indiana you should also be covered by the Indiana Lemon Law. All I remember is it states "sold to an Indiana resident!" The lemon law (Indiana) is in effect for the first 18k miles or 18 months. If this applies I would go directly to the state of Indiana and sc@*w Dodge.
See yah! :twocents:

6ballsisall
10-14-2005, 08:37 PM
Jeff,
If you live in Indiana you should also be covered by the Indiana Lemon Law. All I remember is it states "sold to an Indiana resident!" The lemon law (Indiana) is in effect for the first 18k miles or 18 months. If this applies I would go directly to the state of Indiana and sc@*w Dodge.
See yah! :twocents:

Yep, we could do it in either state since it was purchased in Ohio. Ohio seems to have a little more favorable recourse for the consumer

6ballsisall
10-14-2005, 08:40 PM
Hows this letter guys?

September 14, 2005
Customer Center
P.O. Box 21-8004
To Whom It May Concern:
This letter is in follow-up to our original letter written on September 10, 2005 as to the status of our lemon law claim with Daimler Chrysler.
On September 16 @ 3pm, we were contacted via phone by Daimler Chrysler with a confirmation that our lemon law claim letter was received. We were further informed by this representative that we can expect a phone call from a Daimler Chrysler representative within 7-10 business days with an update to our claim. On Sept. 30th, 10 business days after the first phone conversation stating we would receive an update into our claim we had still not received any form of communication from Daimler Chrysler as to the status of our Lemon Law claim as promised. At 4pm, Sept. 30th, I contacted your customer service center and spoke with Erika. We were informed that Erika would be forwarding this on to a business development center and to definitely expect a return call from a business development representative no later than 5pm EST, Oct. 4, 2005. This promise was also broken. On October 5, 2005 @ 11:45 AM I again contacted the customer service center and gave them my claim number. I spoke with Joshua on this call and Joshua quickly forwarded me to another department in which I spoke to Brenda (Employee # 178.) Brenda stated they did not have record of our claim in the business development center but gave me a claim number and would have to research the subject. (Claim # 4051309) It doesnít make sense to me how someone could give me a claim number if they truly didnít have record of our claim. Brenda was unable to tell me when I might receive a return call related to my claim but promised to forward the information on to the business development center for immediate attention. I further informed Brenda that I had hoped we could resolve the lemon law claim cordially and avoid any need for an attorney involvement or further litigation and would await a prompt return call from Daimler Chrysler. Brenda did call me back at 4:30pm EST on Oct. 5, 2005 to inform me that she had forwarded my information to the business development center and that she had spoke to an individual at that department confirming their awareness of the situation. However, Brenda was unable to quote me a deadline of when I would receive further confirmation of our lemon law case. On October 14, 2005 I again contacted Daimler Chryslers customer service center and spoke with Aisha (Employee # DAW42) Once again I explained the situation, politely told Aisha how many promises of resolution Daimler Chrysler had broken and asked to speak to someone who could facilitate this situation. Aisha gave me a new claim number (# 14051307) and forwarded me to an individual named Chris. Chris refused to give me his employee ID number, name of his department, title, or phone extension for my records. I was told by Chris that Daimler Chrysler would contact me when they were ready to look at the case and I would just have to wait for them.
I canít tell you how disappointed I am as a long term Mopar enthusiast and owner with the level of service we have received with Daimler Chrysler related to this issue. It should be noted that the exact same day we purchased this Dodge Durango we also purchased a new Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited and traded in Dodge products on these new vehicles. I think any consumer would want to feel that someone who spent more than $80,000 on two Daimler Chryslers vehicles in one day would hope that a fair level of customer service would take place. We have been very fair and have followed all the legal processes in which to address this issue with Daimler Chrysler but clearly this is not being addressed as was promised by Daimler Chrysler. Given all the unfulfilled promises not only is Daimler Chrysler dealing with a legitimate lemon law case but now failure to effectively address the issue as promised brings up violations related to the Ohio & Indiana Deceptive Trade Practices act.
We had hoped that Daimler Chrysler would hold themselves accountable for the clear Lemon Law case and rectify the issue to keep a long standing customers business. We have researched the potential recourse for the Lemon law case and now deceptive trade practice issues and are prepared if necessary to take this all the way thru the legal process with skilled attorneys and extensive litigation. The need to take this to that level would certainly be very costly and counter productive to Daimler Chryslers business. To avoid the need for such legal recourse immediate action is required on Daimler Chryslers part. If we do not hear back from Daimler Chrysler with specifics as to the proposed remedy within 10 business days of receiving this letter we will be left with no alternative but to pursue any and all legal action under the state lemon law and the deceptive trade practices act. Furthermore, we will seek punitive damages and when we win this case, Ohio and Indiana law stipulate Daimler Chrysler will be liable for any and all legal fees as it relates to the case. We are very dedicated to see this case completely thru and would prefer to see this case provide closure under amicable circumstances. At this point, the ball is in Daimler Chryslers court to create closure to this case one way or another.

6ballsisall
10-14-2005, 08:42 PM
I am going to the dealer we bought this from tommorrow (same place we bought my wifes Jeep GC on the same day) to see if they can give me some contacts. I'll be pretty mad if after dropping 80k in one day they won't help me out

Workin' 4 Toys
10-15-2005, 12:54 AM
Jeff; Well fool you once shame on them, buy another and well I think you are smarter than that.

I'm partial to these, here is what I would buy. Will last forever, pull anything, good room, and I've never heard of a unhappy owner. Like Honda Accords!

They are just ok. I've seen one of those burnt to the ground. All that was left was the metal body. Some say it had something to do with the heated seats. Talk about being in the hot seat. I'd guess it might have been someone who didn't want the payment anymore. Maybe the case of too much technology too fast applies to them. But they are certainly not without problems.

Footin
10-15-2005, 01:04 AM
Very well writen Jeff. If this does not work, take it to the ghetto and leave the keys in it.

erkoehler
10-15-2005, 01:20 AM
Go get em Jeff. Very well said, and I think you should see a solution out of that. Otherwise, don't forget to seek $$$ for all your lost time :D

Workin' 4 Toys
10-15-2005, 08:44 AM
If you don't get anywhere with all of this, I will boycott them too for you. Oh, wait, I have been doing that for years. ;)

PendO
10-15-2005, 02:42 PM
Great letter, but it assumes that they care. Unfortunatly I think big corps like this really don't care, if they did, legislatures wouldn't have to pass lemon laws.

Along wth the lemon law issue ... your car is still under factory warranty (right?)? If so, I would think that they have obligations under the warranty that are enforceable in court.

I'll cast my vote for getting an attorney who handles this type of matter. (If you don't mind my asking, how much does an Attny. want up front to get started?) I think you have been very reasonable and patient! Also, like ETS said, perhaps your state allows for the attny. fees to be part of the settlement/remedy - that would seem normal.

Also, I would file a complaint with the BBB for good measure.

Hows this letter guys?

September 14, 2005
Customer Center
P.O. Box 21-8004
To Whom It May Concern:
This letter is in follow-up to our original letter written on September 10, 2005 as to the status of our lemon law claim with Daimler Chrysler.
On September 16 @ 3pm, we were contacted via phone by Daimler Chrysler with a confirmation that our lemon law claim letter was received. We were further informed by this representative that we can expect a phone call from a Daimler Chrysler representative within 7-10 business days with an update to our claim. On Sept. 30th, 10 business days after the first phone conversation stating we would receive an update into our claim we had still not received any form of communication from Daimler Chrysler as to the status of our Lemon Law claim as promised. At 4pm, Sept. 30th, I contacted your customer service center and spoke with Erika. We were informed that Erika would be forwarding this on to a business development center and to definitely expect a return call from a business development representative no later than 5pm EST, Oct. 4, 2005. This promise was also broken. On October 5, 2005 @ 11:45 AM I again contacted the customer service center and gave them my claim number. I spoke with Joshua on this call and Joshua quickly forwarded me to another department in which I spoke to Brenda (Employee # 178.) Brenda stated they did not have record of our claim in the business development center but gave me a claim number and would have to research the subject. (Claim # 4051309) It doesnít make sense to me how someone could give me a claim number if they truly didnít have record of our claim. Brenda was unable to tell me when I might receive a return call related to my claim but promised to forward the information on to the business development center for immediate attention. I further informed Brenda that I had hoped we could resolve the lemon law claim cordially and avoid any need for an attorney involvement or further litigation and would await a prompt return call from Daimler Chrysler. Brenda did call me back at 4:30pm EST on Oct. 5, 2005 to inform me that she had forwarded my information to the business development center and that she had spoke to an individual at that department confirming their awareness of the situation. However, Brenda was unable to quote me a deadline of when I would receive further confirmation of our lemon law case. On October 14, 2005 I again contacted Daimler Chryslers customer service center and spoke with Aisha (Employee # DAW42) Once again I explained the situation, politely told Aisha how many promises of resolution Daimler Chrysler had broken and asked to speak to someone who could facilitate this situation. Aisha gave me a new claim number (# 14051307) and forwarded me to an individual named Chris. Chris refused to give me his employee ID number, name of his department, title, or phone extension for my records. I was told by Chris that Daimler Chrysler would contact me when they were ready to look at the case and I would just have to wait for them.
I canít tell you how disappointed I am as a long term Mopar enthusiast and owner with the level of service we have received with Daimler Chrysler related to this issue. It should be noted that the exact same day we purchased this Dodge Durango we also purchased a new Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited and traded in Dodge products on these new vehicles. I think any consumer would want to feel that someone who spent more than $80,000 on two Daimler Chryslers vehicles in one day would hope that a fair level of customer service would take place. We have been very fair and have followed all the legal processes in which to address this issue with Daimler Chrysler but clearly this is not being addressed as was promised by Daimler Chrysler. Given all the unfulfilled promises not only is Daimler Chrysler dealing with a legitimate lemon law case but now failure to effectively address the issue as promised brings up violations related to the Ohio & Indiana Deceptive Trade Practices act.
We had hoped that Daimler Chrysler would hold themselves accountable for the clear Lemon Law case and rectify the issue to keep a long standing customers business. We have researched the potential recourse for the Lemon law case and now deceptive trade practice issues and are prepared if necessary to take this all the way thru the legal process with skilled attorneys and extensive litigation. The need to take this to that level would certainly be very costly and counter productive to Daimler Chryslers business. To avoid the need for such legal recourse immediate action is required on Daimler Chryslers part. If we do not hear back from Daimler Chrysler with specifics as to the proposed remedy within 10 business days of receiving this letter we will be left with no alternative but to pursue any and all legal action under the state lemon law and the deceptive trade practices act. Furthermore, we will seek punitive damages and when we win this case, Ohio and Indiana law stipulate Daimler Chrysler will be liable for any and all legal fees as it relates to the case. We are very dedicated to see this case completely thru and would prefer to see this case provide closure under amicable circumstances. At this point, the ball is in Daimler Chryslers court to create closure to this case one way or another.

Leroy
10-15-2005, 02:50 PM
Things definitely happen, but the service at Lexus is out of this world, also extremely expensive, same with Honda, never had a bad experience there.

They are just ok. I've seen one of those burnt to the ground. All that was left was the metal body. Some say it had something to do with the heated seats. Talk about being in the hot seat. I'd guess it might have been someone who didn't want the payment anymore. Maybe the case of too much technology too fast applies to them. But they are certainly not without problems.

PendO
10-15-2005, 06:40 PM
I'm sure you already have a plethora of information. Here is a bit more.

http://www.lawyers.com/lawyers/A~1001944~LDS/FAQ+CAR+AUTO+PURCHASE.html

PendO
10-15-2005, 06:45 PM
Magnuson-Moss Act

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/warranty.htm

Here is an excerpt from the text discussing the act:

Consumer Lawsuits
The Act makes it easier for purchasers to sue for breach of warranty by making breach of warranty a violation of federal law, and by allowing consumers to recover court costs and reasonable attorneys' fees. This means that if you lose a lawsuit for breach of either a written or an implied warranty, you may have to pay the customer's costs for bringing the suit, including lawyer's fees.

Because of the stringent federal jurisdictional requirements under the Act, most Magnuson-Moss lawsuits are brought in state court. However, major cases involving many consumers can be brought in federal court as class action suits under the Act.

Although the consumer lawsuit provisions may have little effect on your warranty or your business, they are important to remember if you are involved in warranty disputes.

6ballsisall
10-15-2005, 06:54 PM
Well I went to the selling dealer today to see if they would help. Kerry Dodge in Milford, OH will never get one red cent from me again......... They acted as if they hadn't heard of the lemon law and didn't know the name or contact info of their district sales rep for Daimler. BTW, I was talking to the New Car Manager and the General Manager of the Dealership. Towards the end of our fruitless conversation the GM said if I had a problem with the car he thought the only way something would be accomplished is by getting an attorney.

Called the other dealer that has serviced the Durango and asked for the new car manager. Turns out I got the owner of the dealership. He seemed very straight forward and said he would call his sales rep from DC on Monday and promised a call to me with an update on Monday. He seemed sincere. We'll see.......

Letter you say goes out on Monday to DC. Mag Red had a great idea when I talked to him on the phone earlier. I am sending an email to the major TV newstations here to their "troubleshooter" guy. Perhaps a TV reporter publicizing Daimlers ineptitude will get somewhere. Thanks Mag :headbang:

Cloaked
10-15-2005, 08:09 PM
Have patience and persistence.

Good luck.

Mag_Red
10-15-2005, 09:41 PM
:eek: I didn't kow it was Kerry Dodge! Jeff, I know the owner of the dealership as I've done their maintenance painting over the last 10 years or so. Let me call Pat DeCastro or Doyle Baker Monday and see if I can get some help for you. I'm almost embarressed to say I know them now after this ordeal :rolleyes:

6ballsisall
10-15-2005, 09:51 PM
:eek: I didn't kow it was Kerry Dodge! Jeff, I know the owner of the dealership as I've done their maintenance painting over the last 10 years or so. Let me call Pat DeCastro or Doyle Baker Monday and see if I can get some help for you. I'm almost embarressed tio say I know them now after this ordeal :rolleyes:
Mag you are the man! Thank you very much!!

Mag_Red
10-15-2005, 10:22 PM
I printed your letter and will make a point of showing it to them this coming week :)

lakes Rick
10-15-2005, 10:38 PM
Couple of thoughts here..

It seems as if the owners manuals have alot of contact info in them nowadays.. Have you checked in yours??

Secondly, I HATE lawyers (eastie excluded) BUT

Guy I worked with a few years ago had some problems with an Expedition or Explorer. ( Can't remember exactly).. Ford dealer pretty much screwed with him. UNTIL he found a local lawyer who had been involved with car problems, lemon laws.. One letter from this lawyer to the dealer and BAM, a new car the next day.. I believe the letter cost $90..... If you could find a lawyer like this locally it might be an option?? Good luck

6ballsisall
10-15-2005, 10:44 PM
Couple of thoughts here..

It seems as if the owners manuals have alot of contact info in them nowadays.. Have you checked in yours??

Secondly, I HATE lawyers (eastie excluded) BUT

Guy I worked with a few years ago had some problems with an Expedition or Explorer. ( Can't remember exactly).. Ford dealer pretty much screwed with him. UNTIL he found a local lawyer who had been involved with car problems, lemon laws.. One letter from this lawyer to the dealer and BAM, a new car the next day.. I believe the letter cost $90..... If you could find a lawyer like this locally it might be an option?? Good luck

Thanks Ric, the numbers I got came from the Lemon law booklet came from the owners manual.

I may have to go that route with the lawyers. The way I understand Lemon law is it's really between the owner and the manufacturer. However, I gather the dealerships have quite a bit of "pull" in getting things done. I may use this as a trump card if need be. Regardless, I am not going away until this Durango is not sitting in my garage and a check is stroked to me.

captkidd
10-17-2005, 05:08 PM
Jeff, I certainly understand your frustration with Dodge (Daimler-Chrsyler) and I don't blame you for never buying another one. However, I'll bet you could get very similar stories from owners of every brand of automobile. I would contact your state's Attorney General's office and make them aware of this problem. It might not help, but it couldn't hurt. I also think Mag's suggestion is a good one.

BTW, your letters were very well written. Two new vehicles on the same day? Which lottery did you win?

starman205
10-17-2005, 05:51 PM

ETS who are you going to crucify? Did you mean cavalry? :confused:

6ballsisall
10-17-2005, 05:56 PM
Jeff, I certainly understand your frustration with Dodge (Daimler-Chrsyler) and I don't blame you for never buying another one. However, I'll bet you could get very similar stories from owners of every brand of automobile. I would contact your state's Attorney General's office and make them aware of this problem. It might not help, but it couldn't hurt. I also think Mag's suggestion is a good one.

BTW, your letters were very well written. Two new vehicles on the same day? Which lottery did you win?

Thanks I will give that a whirl. Looking to apply pressure every which way I can. You know what they say about the squeak wheel getting greased!

No lottery won here! Needed to get rid of my Ram for something more manageable to drive in the city (Durango) and the wife really fell in love with the GC limited on their show room. Needless to say, I lost that battle :rolleyes: I might be the grunt that makes the income for the fam but she has a better title CFO

east tx skier
10-17-2005, 06:02 PM

I haven't decided yet. :jumping:

captkidd
10-18-2005, 02:43 PM
Hey, you guys should be proud of me. I saw that too but didn't say anything. These 12-step programs really work. (Hi, I'm Darrell and I'm a spelling nazi)

Datdude
10-21-2005, 12:54 PM
My friend had major brake problems with his Nissan Armada and had a new vehicle within a few weeks

6ballsisall
10-29-2005, 09:56 PM
Update: Nothing new..................

2nd letter sent to Daimler Chrysler (certified) and zero response. I call their 800 number and just get passed around to multiple people who all act clueless about the case.

Tried the dealer route at both dealers who have worked on the vehicle (one being the selling dealer) lots of promises to look into it and call back but "they must have lost my phone number" :rolleyes:

It's time to lawyer up at this point. If DC ends up being the only car manufacturer some day I guess I'll be buying used vehicles. I'll never give them another red cent!!

6ballsisall
11-01-2005, 12:21 PM
Update:

Attorneys hired, its on their plate to perform. Was told it usually takes 2-3 months to get a settlement and thats what usually happens. If not they take it to court within 12 calendar months of the original filing date. So here goes nothing! Oh...... their fees are quite steep but fortnately they are all paid by DC (if case is settled, if not I don't owe them a dime, no retainers either!)

bcampbe7
11-01-2005, 12:25 PM
Update:

Attorneys hired, its on their plate to perform. Was told it usually takes 2-3 months to get a settlement and thats what usually happens. If not they take it to court within 12 calendar months of the original filing date. So here goes nothing! Oh...... their fees are quite steep but fortnately they are all paid by DC (if case is settled, if not I don't owe them a dime, no retainers either!)

Good deal Jeff. Keeps us posted. Hopefully the settlement is a good one.

milkmania
11-01-2005, 02:45 PM
Good deal Jeff. Keeps us posted. Hopefully the settlement is a good one.

and maybe the settlement won't be another Dodge:rant: