PDA

View Full Version : X star run out of water

hadleyj
08-07-2013, 12:15 PM
Hey guys, I need a little help. My little brother took my 08 X star to the lake yesterday and evidentally pulled it up the ramp with the engine running. He said it may have been 90 seconds before he shut it off. I just had a full service done on it last week. What should I check or do?!! The engine has not turned back on since. PLEASE HELP

Kimper
08-07-2013, 12:24 PM
I'm no expert, but I don't think that will hurt anything at all. If anything it would just overheat , but sounds like it didn't even get to that point.

carlsonwa
08-07-2013, 12:26 PM
That's not going to hurt anything running out of water for that short duration..

TayMC197
08-07-2013, 12:35 PM
Hey guys, I need a little help. My little brother took my 08 X star to the lake yesterday and evidentally pulled it up the ramp with the engine running. He said it may have been 90 seconds before he shut it off. I just had a full service done on it last week. What should I check or do?!! The engine has not turned back on since. PLEASE HELP

you haven't started the engine since or it won't start since?

ski_king
08-07-2013, 12:38 PM
90 seconds of the motor running on the trailer most likley wouldn't hurt the motor, however 90 seconds of the impeller running without water sounds too long.

If it were mine, I would check or replace the impeller. It is better to check/replace it now then to have it fail out on the water.

sppeders
08-07-2013, 12:44 PM
if the impeller is easy to exchange, take a peak at that... Otherwise dump it back in and see if the temp goes to range, and stays there.

scott023
08-07-2013, 12:48 PM
if the impeller is easy to exchange, take a peak at that... Otherwise dump it back in and see if the temp goes to range, and stays there.

This is the way to go.

willyt
08-07-2013, 01:24 PM
it took a minute and a half for him to realize the engine was running out of the water!?!?

last time he takes it out alone...

scott023
08-07-2013, 01:25 PM
it took a minute and a half for him to realize the engine was running out of the water!?!?

Yep, need to shorten that leash.

bamabonners
08-07-2013, 01:32 PM
I bet is sounded awesome!!! LOL

thatsmrmastercraft
08-07-2013, 01:32 PM
If you don't have a spare impeller yet, now is the time to have one. If it were 45 seconds you would likely have no issues, but 90 seconds running dry may be too long. Learn how to replace it and be prepared for next time you have it out. Might not show up right away either. Keep an eye on the temp gauge.

mikeg205
08-07-2013, 01:41 PM
90 seconds at idle - get a new impeller - confirm that it won't start or it hasn't been started. What was the last engine temp you saw.

hadleyj
08-07-2013, 01:44 PM
you haven't started the engine since or it won't start since?

I havent tried to start it since then.

hadleyj
08-07-2013, 01:45 PM
90 seconds at idle - get a new impeller - confirm that it won't start or it hasn't been started. What was the last engine temp you saw.

The engine temp would've been normal since he had just come off the lake. I wasnt there so I didnt get to see what the gauge was reading.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-07-2013, 01:46 PM
Grab an impeller and take it back out.

hadleyj
08-07-2013, 01:47 PM
Does anyone have a picture of replacing the water pump impeller? I have the 5.7 350 hp

hadleyj
08-07-2013, 01:48 PM

True that. I told him its prolly the last time he even rides in it.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-07-2013, 01:51 PM
I can't help with that. Maybe youtube....they have everything else.

H2ORidr
08-07-2013, 02:02 PM
Yep, need to shorten that leash.

May I make a suggestion on the collar to use attached to that leash:

http://www.original-herm-sprenger-dog-collars.com/images/large/dog-pinch-collar-chrome-hs_LRG.jpg

Nordicron
08-07-2013, 02:10 PM
I'd say no issue at all. 90 secs there is pretty much zero chance of a overheat. Block is still full of cool water. And actually the impeller isn't even gonna be dry as water will be in the system. Granted the impeller isn't moving water but it isn't dry either. They do sound pretty cool outa the water!

TReece
08-07-2013, 03:50 PM
Should no overheat in 90 sec. H2O impeller for boat cooling might have heated up, you can check but probable fine as well. I would leave on trailer put in water and start up and watch the Temp Guage......... If you can pull impeller first and check that is even better idea first. Make sure the intake is in the water when you do this so the motor is getting H2O. Good Luck!

GoneBoatN
08-07-2013, 04:52 PM
Does anyone have a picture of replacing the water pump impeller? I have the 5.7 350 hp

Use this google search and you will find plenty of info on replacing the impeller:
replace impeller site:mastercraft.com/teamtalk

Basically, go buy a new impeller for around $40. Make sure you get a new gasket(or two to have a spare) as well.

Four screws to remove the backplate. Now the fun starts to remove the impeller. Water down some dish soap and put in a spray bottle. Spray down the impeller and inside the impeller housing. Bump the starter a time, or two, or three. You should notice the impeller coming out ever so slightly. Spray and repeat if necessary. Once the impeller has started to come out you can now begin to remove. This makes it easier to remove. Reading the threads you found using the search above you will find different methods of removing the impeller: Yank with pliers, pry with bottle openers, etc. I would only say be careful not to damage the housing in doing so. When you put the new one in, make sure you have the impeller vanes bent in the direction which you found the original one. The rotation of the pump needs the vanes bent over in the correct direction. Look before you remove the old one so that you know the correct direction. The impeller comes with some lubricant (glycerine); lube the new impeller with it before installing it. Use new gasket and replace the backplate. Don't drop any of the brass screws into the bilge area as a magnetized pickup will not work on the brass screws; I swear I do this every time.

If it were me, for ~= $40 I would replace the impeller. Make your little brother fork over the money as a lesson learnt. Also make him do the work of replacing the impeller. If the old one that comes out looks to be good, put it in a baggie as a spare. Enjoy your boating time with no worries about if your impeller is bad or not.

wheeler
08-07-2013, 07:38 PM
If you are going to check the impeller then you may as well replace it while you are in "the hole".

wheeler
08-07-2013, 07:40 PM
If it were me, for ~= $40 I would replace the impeller. Make your little brother fork over the money as a lesson learnt. Also make him do the work of replacing the impeller. If the old one that comes out looks to be good, put it in a baggie as a spare. Enjoy your boating time with no worries about if your impeller is bad or not.

If it were me, make your little brother climb off in that hole and pull the old one out!

timvan
08-08-2013, 06:21 AM
. What should I check or do?!! PLEASE HELP

B!tch slap your brother for starters..Then tell him to buy his own boat

hewlett6621
08-08-2013, 06:42 AM
It will be fine. The impeller is not that fragile. The engine at idle and water still in the block. Just keep a close eye on the temp gauge next time out.

TN X-45
08-08-2013, 07:03 AM
I just wonder if it was really "90 seconds?"

wheeler
08-08-2013, 07:56 AM
the impeller rubber might be fine, but if the impeller gets real hot it will separate from the brass inner spline.

pmkkdx
08-08-2013, 08:37 AM
my wife did similar our first time out in our '04 X2 as she was used to the much louder rumble of our old '83 S&S ... didn't hear the engine running at idle ... I pulled up the ramp, got out to wipe down the boat, made it down one side and heard a low rumble once I got to the back ... then it hit me that she left it running. Was likely at least 2-3 minutes. :mad: ... I figured the impellor was toast and bought a new one to install. Upon removal, the old impellor "appeared" to be fine, but stuck the new one in anyway since I had it and the old one was out. I put the old one in a Ziplock baggy and put with my tool stash onboard just in case.

You should be fine ... but to be on the safe side, buy a new one even if you merely put in the boat for later. Just keep a close eye on your temp gauge!

and no, I wasn't going to b!tch slap my wife but I sure would my brother :rolleyes:

pap
08-08-2013, 09:39 AM
My son did that last year, was about the same amount of time. I freaked out, ended up pulling and replacing the impeller, it looked absolutely fine (had been replaced earlier in the year so it was fairly new).

It's an easy thing to do, just change the impeller especially if it was older it might have had damage. If you find any broken off parts then I might get a bit concerned, but I would bet it looks fine and no harm done.

That being said, a royal ***-chewing is clearly in order here.

bsloop
08-08-2013, 03:20 PM
No problem if the impeller had been changed in the last 2-3 years.
Older than that, I would change it.
Impeller is definitely one of the spare parts that should be stocked on the boat.

Thrall
08-08-2013, 07:51 PM
Change it anyway. You don't know if it was 90 sec or several minutes.
Give the exhaust hoses a good smell outside and from the back of the boat, inside the hoses, to see if they smell burnt. That's the next thing in line on a timescale that could likely be damaged after the impeller.
Dont sweat it too bad though. I ran my 06 MCX engine dry for I'm not dure how long, couple minutes at least a few years ago. Water pickup did not work through the Flush Pro I had installed over the winter. I realized it only when a hot/burnt smell started coming out from under the engine hatch. It was pretty toasty under there. I did replace the impeller as a matter of course even though it appeared fine. That was 100hrs ago and no issues so far. May have shortened the overall life of my exhaust hoses though.