PDA

View Full Version : spark plugs?

JayBrown
08-07-2013, 12:06 PM
Im new to my new boat and I have only owned 2 stroke boats before and have changed the plugs before each season. When should I change the plugs in my stars and stripes?

sp00ky
08-07-2013, 01:15 PM
every year

maxpower220
08-07-2013, 03:46 PM
Do you want Indmar's answer or a "real" answer?

The manual has a guideline for all parts inspections and replacements. Going by that you can't go wrong.

My answer is inspect and replace as needed. 40-90 hours a year on a boat can't be equal to 50K miles in a car.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-07-2013, 05:18 PM
I screw a new set in every year after the initial spring start-up where I burn out the fogging oil. It doesn't take long and is cheap, so that's my routine.

Kevin 89MC
08-07-2013, 06:31 PM
I'm one of the few that only replaces plugs when needed. For years I'd pull out one plug each fall to inspect. Tried to pull out a different one each year. Went about 8 years on the Motorcraft plugs that were in there when I bought it, so no telling how old they really were. All 8 were still in very good shape when I replaced them. About 2 years later I upgraded the heads, so the new ones were hardly broken in according to my replacement schedule. I'll be curious to see what one looks like this fall :)

thatsmrmastercraft
08-07-2013, 06:45 PM
I'm one of the few that only replaces plugs when needed. For years I'd pull out one plug each fall to inspect. Tried to pull out a different one each year. Went about 8 years on the Motorcraft plugs that were in there when I bought it, so no telling how old they really were. All 8 were still in very good shape when I replaced them. About 2 years later I upgraded the heads, so the new ones were hardly broken in according to my replacement schedule. I'll be curious to see what one looks like this fall :)

My brother drove his 1995 Bronco on the spark plugs that came with it until on day it wouldn't start. He called me for assistance. I asked him if he ever changed his plugs and of course he said no. Screwed in 8 new ones and it fired right up. He thinks he got every mile out of that set, but he could have tried replacing them one at a time until it started, then left well enough alone until it wouldn't start again. I of course, never told him this.

I think he got something over 50,000 miles from that set of plugs. Goes to show people probably change their plugs more often than they need to. I want every hp out of my engine when I mash the throttle and am willing to part with the price of a set of plugs to ensure that. When I am removing the plug anyway, no reason in my mind to put an old plug back.

JayBrown
08-07-2013, 07:51 PM
Thanks guys I will probly do a new set every year

cruiser
08-10-2013, 11:41 AM
for what its worth. I just changed plugs on my 2003 sierra at 101,000 miles still looked and performed like knew. No change in gas mileage.