PDA

View Full Version : surf tabs. what do they do? Are they worth it?

kalamalka
08-06-2013, 07:24 PM
playing around with the idea of upgrading to a x10 or x30 to surf. Are surf tabs worth getting? what do they actually do? how much do they help shape the wave? Im reading and hearing so much conflicting info about this. Does anyone have pics of x10 or x30 wave with and without tabs?

charleyc
08-06-2013, 07:38 PM
I just bought a new x-10 loaded. I traded in a x-2 and i did that for the wake. There is a decent differance between the 2 wakes and the biggest one was with only 2 people in the boat and 1 person surffing you had a surf wake that is exellent. I will be on the water tomorrow or thursday and I will grab a few pics for you. My Boss juts purchased an x-30 and he also traded a x-2 in and he has the same feelings. I like the x-10 for skiing more also. The wake board wake is a little soft but more then adequate. Feel free to hit me up for more questions.

oDANTESo
08-06-2013, 08:13 PM
I just bought a new x-10 loaded. I traded in a x-2 and i did that for the wake. There is a decent differance between the 2 wakes and the biggest one was with only 2 people in the boat and 1 person surffing you had a surf wake that is exellent. I will be on the water tomorrow or thursday and I will grab a few pics for you. My Boss juts purchased an x-30 and he also traded a x-2 in and he has the same feelings. I like the x-10 for skiing more also. The wake board wake is a little soft but more then adequate. Feel free to hit me up for more questions.

Do you or your boss have the tabs? How much do they impact the surf wave?

charleyc
08-06-2013, 08:21 PM
Yes we both do, and the tabs rly help with not having to move people around in the boat, or when you have fewer people in the boat. I also notice that it rly shapes the wake. Plus being able to switch sides without stoping is fun haha.

KahunaCraft
08-06-2013, 08:27 PM
I don't have them but think for more than just surfing they make a difference.

Edit: planing

Helps getting onto plane faster when deployed on the side that is being emptied, auto side to side levelling and I'd use then when I hit the 'go home' profile to help level the boat a little at higher speed.

Finally, I think but am not sure, to clean up the wake board wake. (Someone pls confirm)

charleyc
08-06-2013, 08:32 PM
The attitude adjustment plate is for plane. But the tabs help clean up wake and yes lvl side to side. They are deff worth getting.

Mastercraft13
08-06-2013, 08:40 PM
I did not get them on my X-10 and don't seem to have an issue since the boat is small enough to get it to list from side to side just with people. If you surf both port and starboard I would say its worth the investment. I run full factory ballast, 400 in then port locker and a 400 under the codfin seat and have a perfect surf wake. Attitude plate is a must have though, boat gets on plane much quicker and you can dial in the wake at ski/barefoot speeds. I don't use it at all for surf/wakeboard.

skps190
08-06-2013, 08:41 PM
I was wondering the same thing, my question is what is worth more, surf tabs or upgrading the ballast system? I'm not worried about leveling out while driving, like charleyc said, the attitude adjustment plate does fine for that. I want the biggest wake for the best buck.

Nick911
08-06-2013, 09:19 PM
They are worth it. I generally don't need to shift bodies in the X25 with them, and they keep the boat level while planing if you are cruising while dumping ballast. They do enhance the wave and if nothing else it will help you surf while using less weight. As for ballast upgrade, my dealer plumbed sacs into the factory system for 350 bucks plus bags, making both affordable. Most people do order them too, so resale may be an issue. Which dealer you using? Rayburn's?

Kimper
08-06-2013, 10:03 PM
I would say it depends on what type of surfer you are.. If you are serious about surfing and really weight the boat down properly for monster waves you do not need the tabs. You will acquire the proper list and weight from your massive ballast. If you just want to goof around and have a surfable wave that quickly changes sides then the tabs may be of some benefit..

2013 X30 wave, no tabs 3000 lbs on port side and a 250lbs pal learning to surf. He is about 6ft tall and the wave is well above his waist:
http://imageshack.us/a/img33/264/oyyd.jpg

charleyc
08-06-2013, 10:10 PM
I would say it depends on what type of surfer you are.. If you are serious about surfing and really weight the boat down properly for monster waves you do not need the tabs. You will acquire the proper list and weight from your massive ballast. If you just want to goof around and have a surfable wave that quickly changes sides then the tabs may be of some benefit..

2013 X30 wave, no tabs 3000 lbs on port side and a 250lbs pal learning to surf. He is about 6ft tall and the wave is well above his waist:

Hey nice lake, looks like an Alberta lake with all that green in it haha

fz1dba
08-06-2013, 10:58 PM
My dealer told me they where not needed and I don't think you 'have' to have them but I am glad I added them to my X10 at the last minute. They definitely help clean up the wake for surfing.
The surf wake is way better than my old 205.

But so far I have only used the stock ballast. I have not tried adding any of the fat sacs yet.

KahunaCraft
08-06-2013, 11:05 PM
The attitude plate does help take the steepness out of the wave for kids learning new tricks or non-air skim style tricks. The result is that I don't need to adjust the ballast between riders of different skill levels on the same side.

teamcanada
08-06-2013, 11:10 PM
I have them on my x30 and think they are great for surfing ad cleaning up a wakeboard wake below 18 mph. When surfing it allows you to fill all ballast and switch sides easier. Cleans the wake up very nicely. My setup is all factory ballast full plus 750# sacs in back lockers and a 500# sac in coffin. Wave is amazing. I am back on water tommorow and will try to snap a shot. They are well worth it.

sp00ky
08-06-2013, 11:13 PM

Damn wake so big it took his hair!! Sorry couldn't resist.

timvan
08-07-2013, 11:07 AM
Damn wake so big it took his hair!! Sorry couldn't resist.

I figured it was the stress of paying for a 2013 MC

kalamalka
08-07-2013, 11:34 AM
do you guys find that it makes your wave longer? can you surf further back?

teamcanada
08-07-2013, 12:38 PM
Yes. It has tons of push very far back.

teamcanada
08-09-2013, 08:55 PM
Here is my wake with all stock tanks full, both 750# rear locker sacs full, two 500# sacs in the coffin full and two 300# sacs in the bow. Tab down full and speed at 10.6mph. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/10/8umyjyga.jpg

Greenster
08-09-2013, 09:27 PM
That is a nice wake.

uplander
08-09-2013, 09:50 PM
nice wake and clean water, ours is green

Ripple
08-10-2013, 09:30 AM
I've been considering adding surf tabs to my X15 this winter. Do surf tabs make a difference on the X15? Our surf wake is decent, but not great. We are using all stock ballast. KGB 50%, port 100% when regular footed surfer behind boat.

Salsbd01
08-13-2013, 02:43 PM
I' traded my 15 in for a new 10 I had built over the winter. I didn't order surf tabs, just the center tabs. Surf wake is good without It. I didn't have any photos of it but at 10.5 stock tanks its better than any 21 ft boat I've been on. I've also toyed around With 600's in the rear locker and a 450 up front. It's a pretty gnarly. -----

My ten does fine without the tabs but build it with the center tab...

Now for wakeboarding.... Very disappointed in the boats wake. Very disappointed. Flat, no lip and extremely weight sensitive wake. So disappointed that I'm selling the 10 to get the 25. In order to get a marginal wake at best you've got to throw 1200 lbs in the floor and 450's in the rear locker. With a 5.7 the engine struggles to plane out. It needs an upgraded prop...

Surfing boat for sure... Not. A wakeboard boat and if someone is telling you otherwise beware.

Aric'sX15
08-13-2013, 05:12 PM
They're useless. I wouldn't waste money on them ever!

KahunaCraft
08-15-2013, 06:56 AM
For planing with a lot of weight, my only advice is to try with more weight under the benches and manually work the center tab to ensure it stays down 100% until you're on plane, then 0%. You may have already tried that.

Agree, prop will help and more bow weight as well.