PDA

View Full Version : Sealing The Mufflers Water Leak

Boyderoo
08-06-2013, 12:17 PM
I have a water leak ( small stream ) from Muffler Area at the Rear of My 2003 X5 without removing it is hard to see properly, but appears to be coming from the underside of the muffler, but it could be coming from the Rear end Seal & be Running forwards before dripping . My question is when I remove the Muffler to Test / check and possibly repair any tips on the sealant to use at the ends where the jubilee clips are or is the answer none ?
Silicon?
Automotive gasket sealant ?
Anything else ( prefereably not US tradename as I am in the UK )
Or Nothing as per car water hoses
Thanks
Boyd

Table Rocker
08-06-2013, 12:35 PM
I had a leak in mine and repaired it with fiberglass.

Cloaked
08-06-2013, 04:27 PM
I have a water leak ( small stream ) from Muffler Area at the Rear of My 2003 X5 without removing it is hard to see properly, but appears to be coming from the underside of the muffler, but it could be coming from the Rear end Seal & be Running forwards before dripping . My question is when I remove the Muffler to Test / check and possibly repair any tips on the sealant to use at the ends where the jubilee clips are or is the answer none ?
Silicon?
Automotive gasket sealant ?
Anything else ( prefereably not US tradename as I am in the UK )
Or Nothing as per car water hoses
Thanks
Boyd

TR has the ticket... Some fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin... an easy fix....

lakeoz tristar
08-06-2013, 04:49 PM
if you want to get fancy mix in a little color with the resin..I wouldn't buy any special but if you have it laying around like it did it works pretty nice..I just fiber glassed the first time, sanded all the rough edges and then coated with some more resin with color added.