PDA

View Full Version : New MC owner, repair questions for 1994 prostar 205

Zad
08-06-2013, 05:45 AM
Hi Folks,
New to the forum and to MC ownership. I like the site here, have read through a bunch of posts and love having access to all the experience here. I just bought my first boat as an adult after having grown up skiing almost daily through the summers. It was a dream come true skiing yesterday behind the 1994 205 I bought over the weekend. The boat is in ok shape with minor things that I can repair. The two things I don't know what to do with are a bent to port tow post and three pretty good gouges on the bottom of the hull. For the tow post: it is bent to port enough to notice when looking at it (sadly, I did not notice this when buying the boat). Post is still solid and seems to work fine but I plan to clean this boat up and sell to upgrade. Is there any safe way to straighten this? For the gouges: they are deep enough to be through the gel coat but they don't seem leaking at all. When I fix these over the winter should I lay in some glass or can I simply patch?

madcityskier
08-06-2013, 07:48 AM
I'd try to get to the patches sooner rather than later. The glass should be covered. Is the plyon bent, or maybe just crooked and needs to have the mounting bolts loosened, adjust, and retightened?

Zad
08-06-2013, 09:04 AM
See, I am so new to mc ownership I don't even know how the pylon is fixed in there. I wil open it and see if it needs readjusting. Thanks.

Ski-me
08-06-2013, 10:09 AM
First of all, don't write off the 94 boat so quickly. It's a GREAT ski boat and actually better than the 96+ 205's. It's a very desirable boat and I'd prefer skiing behind my 94' over my friends 2000. My wake is just better.

Congrats on the new purchase!

Zad
08-06-2013, 10:39 AM
It just needed adjustment. I bet the person who plumbed it last plumbed it did so with the trailer not level...just like I did on the first crack at it....duh!

Zad
08-06-2013, 10:41 AM
Thanks Jeff. Ya, I bought the 94 because of it's good rep and my plan to upgrade was only to get into a nicer 92 to 95 prostar 205. I bought this one for $10k with 400 hours on it however I feel like Don Johnson in Miami Vice with the pink and green colour scheme. Plus, no tower. So, do I live with it, add a tower, paint and redo the interior or just get another one. I plan to give it good once over this winter and we will see from there.

Ski-me
08-06-2013, 11:01 AM
$10k is a decent price depending on the condition but with the lower hours, that helps.

Yea, the pink (or Raspberry) as we like to call it here, is a little trendy but the performance outweighs the color schemes.

When you mention tower, I assume you may be more intersted in Wakeboarding than skiing....if so, the 96+ will be a little bit better for that need. So if you are tying to flip, keep that in mind. And if you have the standard engine, it would be the 275hp GM 350 engine.....not the carb Ford 351.

Zad
08-06-2013, 11:20 AM
I do way more slalom skiing than wakeboarding but with family, friends and some equipment the boat gets packed really fast and I wanted the tower for storage. I do have the standard GM 350 EFI. Are there other practical options for storage? Thanks for the engine info as I didn't know the hp of the GM 350.

Ski-me
08-06-2013, 11:47 AM
I do way more slalom skiing than wakeboarding but with family, friends and some equipment the boat gets packed really fast and I wanted the tower for storage. I do have the standard GM 350 EFI. Are there other practical options for storage? Thanks for the engine info as I didn't know the hp of the GM 350.

No, not a ton of storage other than your idea (tower). I've contemplated it as well but can't justify the added expense for storage. I generally keep it either on the dock or behind the driver's seat. Certainly the newer boats have more walkable room but storage is always at a premium.

There is an overall concensus that the New Dimension towers look the best on our boats....but they are spendy. You'll hear some debate but the ND follows the contours of your windshield and look more "factory".

The first pic on the 197 from Taylor shows the ND tower. Yours would be similar to these lines:

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=8007&page=211

I have the LT1 engine with a little more HP. I opted for this because our house in Colorado is at 6500'. When I go up to N Idaho each summer (2300'), it's like I have a whole other boat! It is just plain fast and snappy at that elevation. I'm assuming you are in that general elevation (or sea level), depending on where you live in the NW. I'm sure your boat's power is more than adequate.

A nice prop change from either OJ or ACME will help you out as well. A little better hole shot and also a touch top end speed. A nice addition if you still have the original 13x13 prop.

Double D
08-06-2013, 12:09 PM

ZAD, I have the same boat and engine as you except the color scheme. (I also have the raspberry). I also agree that the best looking tower for that boat is the ND if its in your budget. When I installed my MT my budget was small. Over the years I have added all the other stuff to it.

Let me know if you have any questions as well since I have spent 13 years on this boat.

Also, post up some pics or it aint true!! :) Below is mine..

etduc
08-06-2013, 01:28 PM
I like the raspberry stripe, wouldn't be a deal breaker on buying an older boat. Get the gel coat fixed. A tower will definitely open up floor space. A Monster or similar, will be a $1000.00 less, but ND does look better and is stiffer. I have a DIY tower, with a Monster hard cargo bimini (kinda of a pain in the arse, if you trailer alot). Ski and board racks. No speakers. It does ok.

I put boat bumpers and the anchor, in ski locker, also trash bag, or anything you don't mind getting wet. Big ice chest behind driver, little ice chest under dash by driver's feet.

TxsRiverRat
08-06-2013, 02:03 PM
I feel like Don Johnson in Miami Vice with the pink and green colour scheme.

Yea, the pink (or Raspberry) as we like to call it here, is a little trendy but the performance outweighs the color schemes.

(I also have the raspberry)..

I love my teal and pink color scheme... Just sayin :)

http://s12.postimg.org/mmjnokc2l/uphol_01.jpg

Zad
08-06-2013, 05:17 PM
I live just North of the Idaho/Montana border in Southern BC and was just down in Sandpoint and Couer d'Alene a few days ago. Is that the area you go to Jeff? If so, very beautiful. So, raspberry is the colour eh? Isn't that being a tad generous? Where do I get the "I dig the 90's colour scheme pill" cuz I need that something fierce. Maybe it is just because I can't get the image of Miami Vice out of my head every time I look at it.

I picked up a few 10/32" screws today to add to the dash cluster and tighten it up, hopefully straightened out the steering wheel, picked up a bunch of vinyl cleaner, polish, wax, teak oil and ordered a white gel coat patch kit from Spectrum Color (Oyster). I'll get this baby tuned up and then decide if I keep or not.

The boat also needs new MC stickers. I see a guy sells them on Ebay, are they any good? Also, how do you get the old ratty stickers off?

Also have to send a shout out to the duramax as a tow vehicle. I drove 18 hours round trip to pick this boat up (there is not one '92-'95 prostar 205 advertised online in Canada) and that truck made the trip so sweet. Was tired by the end of the day but in less of a puller I would have utterly exhausted. Thanks for all the feedback folks, we are heading to the lake after work today and I will take and post a few photos.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-06-2013, 05:28 PM
Decals come of with a little heat from a hair dryer or cautious use of a heat gun and a little peeling. Go slow and keep the heat on as you peel.

Contact Jim at Bay Area Watersports for all your MC decal needs.

http://www.bayareawatersports.com/

Ski-me
08-06-2013, 05:44 PM
I live just North of the Idaho/Montana border in Southern BC and was just down in Sandpoint and Couer d'Alene a few days ago. Is that the area you go to Jeff? If so, very beautiful. So, raspberry is the colour eh? Isn't that being a tad generous? Where do I get the "I dig the 90's colour scheme pill" cuz I need that something fierce. Maybe it is just because I can't get the image of Miami Vice out of my head every time I look at it.

I picked up a few 10/32" screws today to add to the dash cluster and tighten it up, hopefully straightened out the steering wheel, picked up a bunch of vinyl cleaner, polish, wax, teak oil and ordered a white gel coat patch kit from Spectrum Color (Oyster). I'll get this baby tuned up and then decide if I keep or not.

The boat also needs new MC stickers. I see a guy sells them on Ebay, are they any good? Also, how do you get the old ratty stickers off?

Also have to send a shout out to the duramax as a tow vehicle. I drove 18 hours round trip to pick this boat up (there is not one '92-'95 prostar 205 advertised online in Canada) and that truck made the trip so sweet. Was tired by the end of the day but in less of a puller I would have utterly exhausted. Thanks for all the feedback folks, we are heading to the lake after work today and I will take and post a few photos.

Yea, same area. I'm on Hayden Lake (between Sandpoint and CDA). I'm actually going to head back there in a few weeks for my mom's wedding.....no boat though. :(

mikeg205
08-06-2013, 05:44 PM
YOu can also have your local Vinyl guy make them up for you with art at this link.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/o91j4vsfromgu2x/r0N1CR5VtR

that'smc is right - hair dryer and a wooden spatula works best.

Ski-me
08-06-2013, 05:45 PM
I love my teal and pink color scheme... Just sayin :)

http://s12.postimg.org/mmjnokc2l/uphol_01.jpg

That's not even fair.......:steering:

Zad
08-06-2013, 06:31 PM
Jeff, we usually spend a week or two on Hayden each year. Great lake for skiing, not too busy, warm enough and close to town. Love it. We plan to be there next year with boat.