PDA

View Full Version : slipping tranny?

Miss Rita
08-06-2013, 12:45 AM
My '92 with 1:1 Velvet Drive occasionally feels like the transmission is slipping. The first time it happened it made me think of prop ventilation, the engine over-revs then will catch again. It's most reproducible when making right turns, but not to the left. Occasionally it will happen during a hole shot. The fluid level seems to be OK.

any thoughts?

thatsmrmastercraft
08-06-2013, 12:54 AM
How does the fluid smell? Burned at all? Have you wiped the dip-stick on a clean paper-towel to see how it looks and if there are any chunks? I would be tempted to drain and fill, run it for a bit, then drain and fill again to see if it changes anything. Little expense in a couple fluid changes.

Tires doing OK so far?

Miss Rita
08-06-2013, 01:47 AM
I can do the drain and fill thing pretty easily.

The tires are great, absolutely no problems. I figure I have about 2000 miles on them so far.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-06-2013, 01:50 AM
I can do the drain and fill thing pretty easily.

The tires are great, absolutely no problems. I figure I have about 2000 miles on them so far.

Good luck with the trans. Could be approaching rebuild time.....

At your rate of wear, you will wear the tires out before they hit the 5 year replacement time. Thanks again for your business, I really appreciate it.

André
08-06-2013, 08:05 AM
Low oil level.
Check when hot immediately after shutting the engine!

CantRepeat
08-06-2013, 08:53 AM
Low oil level.
Check when hot immediately after shutting the engine!

Aren't you supposed to check that with the engine running? I read something about drain back.

etduc
08-06-2013, 10:36 AM
Aren't you supposed to check that with the engine running? I read something about drain back.

Nope. Run till warm, then immediately check. I just did a rebuild, on my 205. (Bad front seal.)

Rita your description, points to low fluid or wrong fluid, for what ever reason. Need to be right at the top mark, on our boats. Make sure your dipstick/plug is tight. That can effect, hydraulic pressure, in some trans. Check that 1st.

With a 20 year old boat, a rebuild is probably, in your future.

I carried a quart of transmission fluid, in the boat, last year...till I finally got the time to rebuild.

Miss Rita
08-06-2013, 11:15 AM
When I checked the level, it was about 1/8" below the full line. I'll change the fluid, make sure it's absolutely full.

Any comments on why it happens when I turn to the right, but not the left?

etduc
08-06-2013, 12:48 PM
When I checked the level, it was about 1/8" below the full line. I'll change the fluid, make sure it's absolutely full.

Any comments on why it happens when I turn to the right, but not the left?

My slipping was from a leak, low fluid level. (Bilge had trans fluid in it.) Worked fine on hole shot, fine to the left, slipped on right turn (when low of fluid). I assume fluid was moved away from pick-up, due to centrifugal forces.

There are some internal o-rings, that could cause loss of pressure (or pressure by-pass), but you wouldn't know till you tear it down. My friction and steel plates, where in great shape. I replaced the friction plates, and o-rings/input/output seals. Use old steel plates. Works like a champ. I had a couple of Borg-Warner pdf files, on maintenance, rebuild, pm if you would like them.

bsloop
08-06-2013, 01:42 PM
The boat naturally turns harder to the right than left.
When doing a full power turn; speed, cut throttle, full hard turn, back on throttle
I can break the prop loose turning right but not left.

From a hole shot though sounds like trans slip.
Level sounds good.
I suck and refill mine every season. You are only removing half to a third the total volume in the transmission when sucking out so I figure a partial every year keeps it fresh enough overall.
Dex III, nothing too fancy.

Kevin 89MC
08-07-2013, 05:08 PM
Sounds a lot like my trans issue a long time ago. Mine was just a bit low on fluid, turns out it was leaking out the hole where the shift linkage entered the trans. Was slipping same way yours was. Had the local MC shop repair it, put new clutch packs in, working great ever since.
Good luck,
Kevin