PDA

View Full Version : 2009 X-Star nice to me, Trailer hates truck!!

bjames
08-05-2013, 08:11 PM
OK... I cant be the first to have this happen..:mad:

First time came to a surpise and was able to remain positive, but now it happened again...Im pi$$ed :mad:

When backing up, the x star pickle fork prongs hit the back of my truck ... twice in the last month.

This was the first time. At the time it happended, I had no idea untill late that evening when unpacking the truck late at night. knowone saw it, heard it of felt the impact. BTW, the tuck tape is just to temporarily close the wound.

Then today, wham!! Happened to the other side. This time my wife told me the fork hit the truck. The trailer wasnt even what I consider jack knifed (comparing to my X-25's and the same geomotery backing in at home). It just so happened becuase of a car parked on the opposite side of the street - I couldnt swing the front of the truck out without hitting the car. BTW the damage looks worse in the photo due to the reflection. Nothing is warped as it looks in the photo - just weird reflection, just the dent (no body kinks or alike).

The truck is long (about 22') as its a F250 full Crew Cab with an 8 foot box.

IMO... Mastercraft Fu*ked this one up by putting a tounge section just 2" too short for this boat. My 2011 and 2012 X 25s had a much longer swing away toung than what I have.

I am seriously considering replacing the peice of crap 'too short' tounge with a longer one. This is absolutly crazy!!.

Photo of the nameplpate to show that it is a correctly match correct trailer from the mfg.

Has anyone else have the same experience????

Anyone care to guess how much it will cost to replace a tounge section..... and fix 2 corner dents.:o

2010Prostar197
08-05-2013, 08:27 PM
You will be changing that Reliable brand swing arm soon enough as they are no longer made.

The UFP swing arm retrofit is about 5 inches longer and the trailers you had before may have been UFP. Cost is between 400 to 500 plus painting.

The truck???

Hate to even ask the cost to fix.

On the plus side if your boat suffered no damage feel lucky.

bjames
08-05-2013, 08:30 PM
The boat is ok... first thing I checked. Only the wrap was blistered (very small, size of quarter), but no gel damage.

clrussell
08-05-2013, 10:00 PM
Same thing happened to me sort of on my ps190. My tailgate hits the winch when let down. Tailgate got left down for 3 miles of twists and turns. Roughed up the tailgate good and I had to get a new winch. I'm planning to extend my tongue on the trailer when I get a new coupler. It only hits the tailgate because my receiver hitch is moved forward about a foot because of my roll pan

mzimme
08-05-2013, 10:57 PM
bjames... I've said it before, and I'll say it again.... you just can't win, man! I'm sorry... at some point your misfortune has to end.

bikenskijerm
08-05-2013, 11:25 PM
Just a thought but would it be a lot easier to get an extension for the hitch? I've seen 2" adapters for the 1 1/8" hitch that add probably 6". I'm sure one could find the same for 2" to 2" and if not a decent metal fabricator could do the trick. Of course I am trying to get a guy who built the most bad@$$ replica boat I've ever seen to take a shortcut on his real boat....

Aric'sX15
08-06-2013, 01:14 AM
those extenders are rated for like 3500 pounds... would be way sketchy

sand2snow22
08-06-2013, 01:30 AM
Been there, done that. Have to be careful backing up..

dsword
08-06-2013, 02:33 AM
Our X2 used to come really close to the back corner of our Suburban but never hit. Our Xstar is on a Sportboat trailer and not a Mastercraft trailer and has a really long tongue. No chance of hitting.

David Sword

Jerseydave
08-06-2013, 04:54 AM
My X-star just touched the tail light on my F150 this sunday for the first time. I was turning way too tight in a new driveway I've never been in before. Luckily I stopped before it damaged anything.

You could either check into an extended ball mount (truck camper guys use them for pulling trailers to clear the overhang) just make sure it's heavy enough. Or perhaps Reese or Drawtite makes a long receiver for you truck and you can switch it out.

All the pros call it the "X-star dent" because they all learned the hard way not to make tight turns while pulling a star.

CumberlandXstar
08-06-2013, 09:47 AM
I am pretty sure the pickle fork corners on the X-Star are slightly wider than the X-25. That could be a reason why it hit on this boat and not your previous.

snobinge
08-06-2013, 10:28 AM
My X-star just touched the tail light on my F150 this sunday for the first time. I was turning way too tight in a new driveway I've never been in before. Luckily I stopped before it damaged anything.

You could either check into an extended ball mount (truck camper guys use them for pulling trailers to clear the overhang) just make sure it's heavy enough. Or perhaps Reese or Drawtite makes a long receiver for you truck and you can switch it out.

All the pros call it the "X-star dent" because they all learned the hard way not to make tight turns while pulling a star.

My Buddy also uses an extension when towing a trailer behind his on-bed camper. We also have to use it when traveling 22hrs out west with Sled Deck and Enclosed Inline trailer. This would be a simple fix and cost effective solution. Best place to find one is probably at a Camper/Trailer Dealer or online.

bjames
08-06-2013, 12:36 PM

Hmmm.. :D like to hear from anyone who got the Xstar dent on their truck.

I thought about extending the hitch. But I just paid over $100 for the one I have now. Its a solid receiver that is rated for like 15K lbs with a 10K lbs 2" ball from a hitch store. All the 2" ball/receivers you get from local auto stores are only rated for 6000lbs. Thats not quite enough for a fueled up Xstar on a trailer.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-06-2013, 12:37 PM
Sounds like you need someone to extend the length of the tongue.Do you have any pics with the boat hooked up to the truck?

bjames
08-06-2013, 12:49 PM
Sounds like you need someone to extend the length of the tongue.Do you have any pics with the boat hooked up to the truck?

This is the best I have.

TxsRiverRat
08-06-2013, 01:11 PM
On my PS205, I do know if I am not straight i run the risk of a tailgate or SUV hatch hitting the boat... No tight turns for me.... I learned early by dumb luck, thank god

willyt
08-06-2013, 01:31 PM
i lightly touched the back of the tahoe with the forks last season... i was turning pretty tightly though. there's a super small dent in the truck but you can only see it if you're looking for it.

I have to have a 6in drop hitch on the tahoe because my receiver is so high. I'd estimate the drop has about a 3-4 horizontal distance to it, which is probably why i've never had a problem with it. sorry for your troubles

bjames
08-06-2013, 02:39 PM
OK.. just got a quote to fix it.

$2650 to repair the dents and paint /clearcoat both fenders (8foot)

To replace the fenders im looking at approx $6,000

My local MC dealer thinks they may have stock of the MasterCraft UFP conversion for the Reliable swing tongue. Anyone know how long the 4" retrofit version is?

2010Prostar197
08-06-2013, 02:47 PM
23 inches from the center of the bolt/pin to the center of the ball with the inner member fully extended

Reliable 20 inches for same scenario

thatsmrmastercraft
08-06-2013, 03:29 PM
This is the best I have.
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=98943&d=1375804165

Looks close but I wouldn't expect that much damage.

bjames
08-06-2013, 04:22 PM
23 inches from the center of the bolt/pin to the center of the ball with the inner member fully extended

Reliable 20 inches for same scenario

Here is whats on the trailer right now. Appears to be 23' from far end of bracket to out edge of ball.

Jerseydave
08-06-2013, 04:34 PM
Get this mount

http://www.reeseprod.com/content/products.aspx?lvl=3&parentid=1100&catID=1165&part=38186

http://www.reeseprod.com/content/prodphoto/38186.jpg

With this combo pintle hook. Entire length should be around 17" long overall. Much longer than your typical ball mount. (I might look into this myself)

http://www.reeseprod.com/content/prodphoto/63011.jpg

2010Prostar197
08-06-2013, 06:02 PM
I measured from the center of the bolt and or pin to the center of where the ball would be....20 inches. Same thing but measured from different points 😄

bjames
08-07-2013, 12:15 AM
I measured from the center of the bolt and or pin to the center of where the ball would be....20 inches. Same thing but measured from different points ��

Thats what i was afraid of...

I am currently researching different hitch options...

...otherwise I will just have to be carefull from now on. Its disapointing since will all my other boats, never had to worry about hitting the truck with the boat.:confused:

If I was a MC designer, I would make sure an interference check was completed to ensure the boat does not contact the back of a truck and if it does, provide a longer tongue. I assumed that would have been done. i remember my brother in law asking about the clearence, but I told him that they design it to not hit... I was basing my assumtion off the X25. Boy.. I was wrong:o

2010Prostar197
08-07-2013, 12:55 AM
You gain 3 inches by converting to the UFP setup which one of these days you might have to do when the master cylinder starts to leak.

Does 3 inches buy you enough clearance??

Never owned an X Star but it sounds like a common problem which you would think could easily be remedied by making the trailer a few inches longer and then test with various tow vehicles. Hummmmm

Jerseydave
08-07-2013, 05:01 AM
Oops, I showed a link to a 3" mount by mistake, this is the 2" mount that should be long enough to gain a bit of clearance. 12K capacity. This with the pintle hook combo would be a solution I believe. Have to get a measurement from ball to mounting pin.

http://www.reeseprod.com/content/products.aspx?lvl=3&parentid=1100&catID=1165&part=63059

bjames
08-07-2013, 07:30 PM
Hmmm, I have seen those hitches, arnt they like $300 just for the adjustable hitch that bolts onto the receiver? Price may be getting close to the cost of a new tungue.

clrussell
08-07-2013, 08:47 PM
Just bring it down here to Missouri and drop it off for a couple weeks and I'll make the tongue longer as needed :)

wheeler
08-07-2013, 09:59 PM
I'm thinking I need an extended tongue........ :noface:

wakecumberland
08-08-2013, 11:57 AM
Call Boatmate about the UFP hitch. A friend of mine just picked up an unpainted one from them after his got mangled in an accident for $180. You'll need whatever it takes for the conversion too. Dont know how much that costs.

bjames
08-08-2013, 05:40 PM
Call Boatmate about the UFP hitch. A friend of mine just picked up an unpainted one from them after his got mangled in an accident for $180. You'll need whatever it takes for the conversion too. Dont know how much that costs.

I didnt think the boatmate was compatible with the MC trailer.

CottagerGreg
08-08-2013, 07:56 PM
I don't think MC should be testing their trailers with potential owner tow vehicles.. think of how many options they would have to go through??

I think having the right hitch/ball combo is key for height and distance from the back of the vehicle.

Our VW tows like a champ...

wakecumberland
08-13-2013, 02:41 PM
Boatmate uses the same tounge that Mastercraft is using on thier new trailers - UFP. Your trailer doesnt have the UFP tounge but I believe I read there is a converion available to do it.

bjames
08-13-2013, 07:54 PM
Boatmate uses the same tounge that Mastercraft is using on thier new trailers - UFP. Your trailer doesnt have the UFP tounge but I believe I read there is a converion available to do it.

Yeah.. I look at one that is in stock at my dealer. Its only 1 inch longer than what i have.

I may end up getting an adjustable hitch after I do a few test to see much much more distance I need. I am now thinking that the surge brake (when compressed all the way in) is the culprit. When driving forward and jack knifing the trailer, there appears to be suffcient clearence, its ONLY when im backing up. The compression of the surge brake may be just enough for the boat to kiss the truck. I may start carrying a screw driver to lock out the surge tougne :)

Kell
08-29-2013, 01:01 AM
One more victim to add to this thread. Was backing up into my driveway like I have for the past 4 years, but we added a portable BBall hoop for my son in the driveway. Didn't want to hit the new hoop and cut more than I should have. Argh! 😡 Next time ill just hit the hoop. Taking to shop for an estimate tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad 2 3G using Tapatalk