PDA

View Full Version : Boating Accident

CC2MC
08-05-2013, 04:48 PM
My buddy shot me a text the other day telling me that he had just witnessed a boating accident between a 20' Sea Ray and an older pontoon. Apparently, the guy driving the Sea Ray somehow did not see the pontoon and ran into his port side bow like a ramp, tearing up all the seating on the left side of the boat. Thankfully, there was not anyone sitting on that side of the boat and nobody was hurt. The guy driving the pontoon was understandably upset, while the guy driving the Sea Ray just shrugged it off and said I have insurance, so don't worry. Not sure if alcohol was a factor or what, but my guess is the guy was simply not paying attention. It is just scary when I see people like this on the water. It almost makes me think twice about wanting to teach my wife to drive the boat as I would not want her to ever be caught on either end of a situation like that.

I explained this to my dad who also has a pontoon, used to be in the navy and drove an aircraft carrier, so needless to say he knows the rules of the water. He is the one that has taught me through the years. He came back with this story from his ride this past weekend.

"We went for a ride Saturday and a “kid” in an older MC (?) kept bearing down on us coming from my left. I finally had to cut the throttle. As he passed close across my bow, I threw up my hands to him. Mom shook her fist. I told her not to do that; that he was just being stupid and that I think I had already made my point. But he actually looked like he didn't have a clue and didn't even realize he had done something wrong. I really believe that had I kept on the throttle, he wouldn't have responded correctly and we would have been hit really hard. Not the way I want to trade up. Thinking back on it, I wish I had hit him with my air horn as he crossed my bow."

I hope that "kid" was not any of you. Add to that the waverunner they saw pulling a huge tube with five people on it... Unfortunately there are probably more of those types of boat drivers out there than those that know any better. Please stay safe out on the water.

Redstorm
08-05-2013, 05:00 PM
The other day we saw 2 Seadoos racing each other Pulling tubes, 2people each, no spotter, wearing street clothes weaving in and out boats! Oblivious to the the effen world!!!! Still pissed ...I'm stuttering!

dsword
08-05-2013, 05:01 PM
In California you cannot have any more people on the tube than you can put on the waverunner in case the tube sinks or someone gets hurt. Since you also need a spotter that means only one person on the tube. That also means you need at least three person waverunner to do any towing.

David Sword

Redstorm
08-05-2013, 05:14 PM
Yup! Wanted to slap the $&it outta them!

TxsRiverRat
08-05-2013, 05:15 PM
The other day we saw 2 Seadoos racing each other Pulling tubes, 2people each, no spotter, wearing street clothes weaving in and out boats! Oblivious to the the effen world!!!! Still pissed ...I'm stuttering!

Man, that is badarse - redneck tube racing.... I'd like to see this in person :D

Maybe USAWS can sanction a new event/sport with this

JimN
08-05-2013, 05:40 PM
My buddy shot me a text the other day telling me that he had just witnessed a boating accident between a 20' Sea Ray and an older pontoon. Apparently, the guy driving the Sea Ray somehow did not see the pontoon and ran into his port side bow like a ramp, tearing up all the seating on the left side of the boat. Thankfully, there was not anyone sitting on that side of the boat and nobody was hurt. The guy driving the pontoon was understandably upset, while the guy driving the Sea Ray just shrugged it off and said I have insurance, so don't worry. Not sure if alcohol was a factor or what, but my guess is the guy was simply not paying attention. It is just scary when I see people like this on the water. It almost makes me think twice about wanting to teach my wife to drive the boat as I would not want her to ever be caught on either end of a situation like that.

I explained this to my dad who also has a pontoon, used to be in the navy and drove an aircraft carrier, so needless to say he knows the rules of the water. He is the one that has taught me through the years. He came back with this story from his ride this past weekend.

"We went for a ride Saturday and a “kid” in an older MC (?) kept bearing down on us coming from my left. I finally had to cut the throttle. As he passed close across my bow, I threw up my hands to him. Mom shook her fist. I told her not to do that; that he was just being stupid and that I think I had already made my point. But he actually looked like he didn't have a clue and didn't even realize he had done something wrong. I really believe that had I kept on the throttle, he wouldn't have responded correctly and we would have been hit really hard. Not the way I want to trade up. Thinking back on it, I wish I had hit him with my air horn as he crossed my bow."

I hope that "kid" was not any of you. Add to that the waverunner they saw pulling a huge tube with five people on it... Unfortunately there are probably more of those types of boat drivers out there than those that know any better. Please stay safe out on the water.

IIRC, a boater that's overtaking another is supposed to use their horn to alert the other. The kid needs a lot of things- a boater safety course and a boot in the arse, among them.

Redstorm
08-05-2013, 06:00 PM
Man, that is badarse - redneck tube racing.... I'd like to see this in person :D

Maybe USAWS can sanction a new event/sport with this

Actually...no $#it! All padded out trying to knock off the other tuber prior to the finish line.

73blue
08-05-2013, 06:08 PM
In California you cannot have any more people on the tube than you can put on the waverunner in case the tube sinks or someone gets hurt. Since you also need a spotter that means only one person on the tube. That also means you need at least three person waverunner to do any towing.

David Sword

I think thats true in most places. The problem is, laws are only as good as the enforcement. I know on our lake, the officers are stretched way too thin (despite the gripes many have with them). Until there's an incident, or an officer happens to see something, people can break all the laws they want and about all a safe, knowledgeable boater can do is throw up their hands

Mastercraft13
08-05-2013, 08:38 PM
I'm glad we have two lakes by us that prohibit jet skis and pulling tubes. It is so nice to be able to go out on the weekend and its just the true boaters (MC and CC boats mostly) who for the most part know what they are doing. Now the other lake by us, that is a whole mother story. I have been a boater my whole life and we went on a Sunday afternoon early this summer and I was afraid of someone running into us let alone put someone in the water.

kevkan
08-05-2013, 09:00 PM
A couple of weeks ago I was out on Eldorado lake, which is pretty close to Wichita and gets a fair amount of traffic on the weekends. My son was getting ready to wakeboard, and was standing on the swim deck. Boat off, ski flag up. Some gal driving a runabout came by us real close, and real fast. She then proceeds to make a turn around us. I was giving her my best stink eye stare, when I realized she was pulling an empty tube that was not going to make the corner, it was going to hit us.

My son jumped back in the boat, and I yelled (she was definitely in shouting range) "your gonna hit my f&$%ing boat!" She shut it down, but the tube hit the back of my boat, sending a large wall of water over the stern. That's when I let loose with a bunch of "f" bombs. Her friend told me I didn't have to be such a d*&@ about it. I told her they almost hurt my kid and I got a boat full of water, and they should go pick up their rider before someone hits him. The rider was an adult male, who I assume owned the boat. I expected him to come over for some words, but they packed it in and left.

If I had seen them at the launch, I probably would have apologized for the language, but told them a very crowded lake, right by the dam, is not a good place to learn to drive. And you might just consider shutting down when someone falls, and slowly turning around. Closest I've come to a bad accident.

Redstorm
08-05-2013, 10:12 PM
A couple of weeks ago I was out on Eldorado lake, which is pretty close to Wichita and gets a fair amount of traffic on the weekends. My son was getting ready to wakeboard, and was standing on the swim deck. Boat off, ski flag up. Some gal driving a runabout came by us real close, and real fast. She then proceeds to make a turn around us. I was giving her my best stink eye stare, when I realized she was pulling an empty tube that was not going to make the corner, it was going to hit us.

My son jumped back in the boat, and I yelled (she was definitely in shouting range) "your gonna hit my f&$%ing boat!" She shut it down, but the tube hit the back of my boat, sending a large wall of water over the stern. That's when I let loose with a bunch of "f" bombs. Her friend told me I didn't have to be such a d*&@ about it. I told her they almost hurt my kid and I got a boat full of water, and they should go pick up their rider before someone hits him. The rider was an adult male, who I assume owned the boat. I expected him to come over for some words, but they packed it in and left.

If I had seen them at the launch, I probably would have apologized for the language, but told them a very crowded lake, right by the dam, is not a good place to learn to drive. And you might just consider shutting down when someone falls, and slowly turning around. Closest I've come to a bad accident.

They are responsible for any damage what so ever!

I don't get It at all. Some people do the most dangerous crap imaginable. Tubing/wakeboarding in a high traffic area, cruising just off plane in a no wake zone causing all kinds of damage unaware of their wake!! And they are thinking they're lookin all cool, again completely oblivious! This crap should be a mandatory 30 days in jail.....felony stupidity!!!

It's worse than giving a 5150 a loaded gun!!

Saw a T shirt the other day. "I SEE STUPID PEOPLE!"

jakethebt
08-05-2013, 11:35 PM
We went out on Saturday. It was cloudy so there was almost no lake traffic. This idiot on a wave runner, towing a tube starts coming up behind me on the knee board apparently getting closer and closer. I did not see him until the wife finally stops the boat and is flipping mad. I realize what is going on. The dude is clueless, like what is going on. Just to make sure he knows we are mad, I give him a one finger salute. The entire reason I was riding the knee board was just to get to the shallow area so my youngest son could take his first knee board ride. I'm glad he was not on there. Later, when we were anchoring, the wave runner dude comes up to our boat to "explain". Two of my sons and I were in the water. I was afraid he was going to hit us or my boat as he was only 3 feet away. Now I'm super pissed! I said get away from my boat. Don't come near it the rest of the day. There are only 6 boats out here there is no reason to come near us again. He was pissed that I would not hear his explanation. I could have taken time to explain some stuff to him, but if he was too stupid to read up on it or figure it out, there was no way I was going to explain it while still angry. The worst part, not 30 seconds later, 100 feet from the yelling, the po po pulled a different wave runner over, one that. We had never seen all day. Go figure.

Astepatatime
08-06-2013, 10:15 AM
We went out on Saturday. It was cloudy so there was almost no lake traffic. This idiot on a wave runner, towing a tube starts coming up behind me on the knee board apparently getting closer and closer. I did not see him until the wife finally stops the boat and is flipping mad. I realize what is going on. The dude is clueless, like what is going on. Just to make sure he knows we are mad, I give him a one finger salute. The entire reason I was riding the knee board was just to get to the shallow area so my youngest son could take his first knee board ride. I'm glad he was not on there. Later, when we were anchoring, the wave runner dude comes up to our boat to "explain". Two of my sons and I were in the water. I was afraid he was going to hit us or my boat as he was only 3 feet away. Now I'm super pissed! I said get away from my boat. Don't come near it the rest of the day. There are only 6 boats out here there is no reason to come near us again. He was pissed that I would not hear his explanation. I could have taken time to explain some stuff to him, but if he was too stupid to read up on it or figure it out, there was no way I was going to explain it while still angry. The worst part, not 30 seconds later, 100 feet from the yelling, the po po pulled a different wave runner over, one that. We had never seen all day. Go figure.

I imagine somewhere on some waverunner message board, there's a post like this:

"My kids have been bugging me to tow them on a tube on my new waverunner. I've been hesitant because I'm still getting the hang of it and the lake is pretty busy. But Saturday was cloudy. Figured there wouldn't be much traffic so I decided I'd give it a try. Didn't go so well. I was so focused on the tube (yeah I now know I should have had a spotter) that I didn't give my full attention to driving. I came up kind of close to a guy on a kneeboard. Man, was he pissed. Fliipped me off and they yelled at me. I felt really bad. Later on I saw them anchored I wanted to go over and apologize. That wasn't happening. The guy was so pissed he just screamed at me. What a horrible lesson for my kids. Wanted to show that I was wrong, that you should apologize when so, and show them you never stop learning. There's a right way to do everything. But this guy wanted to act like an 8 year old."

Now it probably didn't go down that way, but the old adage goes...there are 2 sides...and you didn't even give a chance for the other side.

This thread is about safety - having common sense and having priorities in the right place. It's also about knowledge, experience and judgement. And you only get knowledge and experience through...well, experience. I'm still a relatively new driver - second year and have about 100 hours on the water so far. I'm still learning a lot. And any time I have an experienced driver around, I pepper them with questions so I can learn more and the "right" way to do things. Otherwise I'm just guessing at what is right.

Thankfully, those experienced drivers are patient, willing to share their knowledge, and not be judgmental. Otherwise I might get a 30 day jail sentence.

JimN
08-06-2013, 11:47 AM
This thread is about safety - having common sense and having priorities in the right place. It's also about knowledge, experience and judgement. And you only get knowledge and experience through...well, experience. I'm still a relatively new driver - second year and have about 100 hours on the water so far. I'm still learning a lot. And any time I have an experienced driver around, I pepper them with questions so I can learn more and the "right" way to do things. Otherwise I'm just guessing at what is right.

Thankfully, those experienced drivers are patient, willing to share their knowledge, and not be judgmental. Otherwise I might get a 30 day jail sentence.

I suspect your reaction to something like this would be far different from kind and good-natured. Put your kid on a kneeboard and have someone drive almost on top of them and THEN think about how you would deal with it.

Have you taken a safe boating course? It's highly recommended. I was on Milwaukee River and inside of the breakwater on Sunday and idiot boaters were all over. Going too fast in No Wake zones (posted), driving on the river like ball bearings on a beach ball, reversing unexpectedly and without looking while they were in the middle of the lanes, crossing in front of others without waiting for an opening, slowing to a crawl without looking for other boats, etc. It was ridiculous and very annoying. The fact that it wasn't safe seems to have been lost on them.

People in small boats need to understand that larger boats don't handle as easily at low speeds. It's not that they own the water, but it's harder to control them, especially on a river with a lot of underwater objects that are causing weird currents.

Anyone who drive ANYTHING and isn't aware of what's around them is an accident waiting to happen. The more they know, the safer everyone is. People who rent boats are far more likely to hit something or someone and the rental places need to drill safety into their heads.

Astepatatime
08-06-2013, 12:39 PM
Have you taken a safe boating course? It's highly recommended.

Yep, absolutely. Both my wife and I did before we ever set foot in a boot.

People in small boats need to understand that larger boats don't handle as easily at low speeds. It's not that they own the water, but it's harder to control them, especially on a river with a lot of underwater objects that are causing weird currents.

Anyone who drive ANYTHING and isn't aware of what's around them is an accident waiting to happen. The more they know, the safer everyone is. People who rent boats are far more likely to hit something or someone and the rental places need to drill safety into their heads.

We agree here too, and it makes the point I was trying to make. People do need to understand things (like big boats vs small, etc), but people don't inherently know that. It comes through education (theory) and time on the water (practice).

While I have gotten annoyed at how some others handle their watercraft, I generally give others the benefit of the doubt - that they're ignorant, not idiots. There are a tremendous number of very experienced boaters on this forum and I appreciate getting to learn from them. Maybe it's just been a long long time since they were at that stage when they were still learning and they've forgotten what it was like when they didn't know everything. And who knows, were maybe even idiots themselves for a while.

Redstorm
08-06-2013, 01:19 PM
Yep, absolutely. Both my wife and I did before we ever set foot in a boot.

We agree here too, and it makes the point I was trying to make. People do need to understand things (like big boats vs small, etc), but people don't inherently know that. It comes through education (theory) and time on the water (practice).

While I have gotten annoyed at how some others handle their watercraft, I generally give others the benefit of the doubt - that they're ignorant, not idiots. There are a tremendous number of very experienced boaters on this forum and I appreciate getting to learn from them. Maybe it's just been a long long time since they were at that stage when they were still learning and they've forgotten what it was like when they didn't know everything. And who knows, were maybe even idiots themselves for a while.

Souds like you are starting out to be a good boater!! I have been boating most my life but fairly new to mastercraft. I am learning as well. Found out in reverse the v drive, DD, only turns one way no matter which way u turn the wheel. A lot is common sense and experience, not just reading a book. You are asking questions and listening where most beginners jump in and go. You really need to be aware of your SUROUNDINGS at ALL TIMES. In and out of the boat. Always assume the other boat can't see you or does not know what they are doing. Especially when you have someone in the water. Don't ever go tubing / wake boarding in a high traffic area. Have other people in the boat looking out as well. And be aware of your wake! You are ultimately responsible for any damage you cause. Back in the day when there were a lot of flat bottom jet boats, they often would get swamped by other boats wakes. They are very low in the water. Good luck and welcome to boating! Your on the right track!

Redstorm
08-06-2013, 01:35 PM
Like JimN says ...bigger boats are not as maneuverable as smaller boats. I owned a 36' Aft Cabin SeaRay with DD, twin engines. At standstill I can spin this boat on a dime but underway it is difficult to impossible to abruptly turn or stop. We had jet skis sworm us like flies due to our wake. They would cut 5' off our bow. Pissed me off to no end! If one fell it would be all over! My wake was so large we could wipe out a marina if not paying attention. Wakes travel a long way as well.

Again I am still learning my MC. Every boat has its own personality!

dsword
08-06-2013, 04:17 PM
I tell my sons that when they are on the personal watercraft they need to be the ones that are constantly watching out for other boats and giving way if necessary, even if they have the right of way. It is like being on a motorcycle. You are faster and more maneuverable but you are also smaller and will most likely be the one hurt if there is a collision. There have been many time that they have been cut off by boaters who either don't see them or do not care that they have the right of way. The right of way laws for boating can get complicated because they are affected by which boat is most burdened to give way and not just who is where or going what direction in relation to the other boat. It depends on which boat is most maneuverable, is the boat towing something, is the boat under sail. I read an article recently where a class of small sailboats demanded the right of way over an eighty foot tug that was towing a barge because the sailors had been told that a boat under sail always has the right of way over a boat under power. That is true much of the time if the boat under power is a regular power boat just cruising around. But a tug towing a barge is actually more burdened in its ability to give way and the sailboats should have stayed out of its way.

David Sword

P-hat_in_Cincy
08-06-2013, 05:08 PM
...cruising just off plane in a no wake zone..."

At the local lake (which I hate going to BC of the yahoos), I saw this multiple times. A guy was even cruising on plane in the no-wake swim area... which is in sight of the launch ramp... where we saw a DNR guy. I was thinking he needs to be out here enforcing the no-wake and swimming areas instead of safety checking people at the ramp. He happened to be putting in while I was waiting for the trailer to come down and as soon as he gets away from the ramp, he jumps on plane...in the no wake zone. WTH???