PDA

View Full Version : LT-1 improvements?

tommcat
10-14-2005, 10:59 AM
i have a 97 205 with the LT1, i was wondering if there are any improvements or mods out there to pick up some more power? i notice the 98 motor had more power but cant seem to find out what the differences were and if i could make the changes to mine.
i'm considering a supercharger, anyone here done one yet?
thanks
tom

east tx skier
10-14-2005, 11:14 AM
Tom, what about those fancy new one-piece exhaust manifolds that they started using on the MCX last year? Have you checked to see if they would work with the LT1? That might get you a few horses.

What prop are you using?

tommcat
10-14-2005, 11:32 AM
Tom, what about those fancy new one-piece exhaust manifolds that they started using on the MCX last year? Have you checked to see if they would work with the LT1? That might get you a few horses.

What prop are you using?
i thought about those but cant seem to find any info as to what they'll do for an LT1. i contacted indmar but they didnt want to give out ANY info as far as mods, which i figured anyway.
prop is stock right now, i am going to put a different one on for next season but dont want to pick one out now and then change horsepower.

east tx skier
10-14-2005, 11:45 AM
On the new engines, I think it's 5% hp boost, 5% torque boost, 5% decrease in fuel consumption.

Give Vince a call at skidim. He'll talk mods with you. He was helpful with me when I wanted a little torque boost out of my 351 HO last winter.

Gofast
10-14-2005, 11:50 AM
Superchager would be cool, but do you want the whine of the charger?

I've always wanted to add Nitrous, but only so I could purge the system.

Imagine the face of your skier when you yell ready? and then purge the nitro.

Anyway, the charger will add noise so be prepared.

east tx skier
10-14-2005, 11:52 AM
Do you want more top end or more low end? I presume more low end unless you're looking to take it bass fishing. ;)

tommcat
10-14-2005, 01:05 PM
Do you want more top end or more low end? I presume more low end unless you're looking to take it bass fishing. ;)i just got the boat and havent even had it in the water yet so i dont really know what i need more of. it's an LT1 with the powerslot 1.5 trans, i dont know if it needs more top or bottom but i'd certainly like to get more all around.

tommcat
10-14-2005, 01:07 PM
Superchager would be cool, but do you want the whine of the charger?

I've always wanted to add Nitrous, but only so I could purge the system.

Imagine the face of your skier when you yell ready? and then purge the nitro.

Anyway, the charger will add noise so be prepared.the whine would be fine with me. i install them on cars and trucks all the time and love the noise. i have had several cars with nitrous and the biggest downside is that it always runs out, at least with a charger i dont have to refill anything........although i do love hitting the button with NOS :toast:

erkoehler
10-14-2005, 01:07 PM
What are you doing with the power? Pulling up multiple skiers = lower end. High speed barefooting = top end.

tommcat
10-14-2005, 01:28 PM
What are you doing with the power? Pulling up multiple skiers = lower end. High speed barefooting = top end.Mostly wakeboarding, i just like horsepower :dance:

erkoehler
10-14-2005, 01:33 PM
;) You would definetly want the low end!

Do you have PP that would also help alot at the wakeboard speeds maintaining the constant.

tommcat
10-14-2005, 01:36 PM
;) You would definetly want the low end!

Do you have PP that would also help alot at the wakeboard speeds maintaining the constant.not yet but i do want to install one

east tx skier
10-14-2005, 02:20 PM
With an LT-1 and a powerslot, I can't imagine any practical application that would require more low end. If it just tickles your fancy, then so be it. But it should be able to accomplish pretty much anything you want it to.

Have fun.

tommcat
10-14-2005, 02:38 PM
With an LT-1 and a powerslot, I can't imagine any practical application that would require more low end. If it just tickles your fancy, then so be it. But it should be able to accomplish pretty much anything you want it to.

Have fun.
i just got off the phone with MC of charlotte for some parts. the guy seemed kind of surprised that i had a powerslot with the LT1. is this kind of an odd combo? is it a bad combo?

AirJunky
10-14-2005, 02:40 PM
Mostly wakeboarding, i just like horsepower :dance:
Not to mention that if you weight the boat like some of these boarders do, you need the horsepower to get out of the hole in less than a week. No PP is going to help that. A better prop certainly will though.

Danimal
10-14-2005, 02:45 PM
Here ya go Tomcat,

Just bolt this on. Look at page 18 and you will see that there is an application for your motor. There is even a picture of a MC. They claim your 330hp motor will go to 490 after installation.

http://www.procharger.com/pdf/PC_Marine.pdf

tommcat
10-14-2005, 02:47 PM
Here ya go Tomcat,

Just bolt this on. Look at page 18 and you will see that there is an application for your motor. There is even a picture of a MC. They claim your 330hp motor will go to 490 after installation.

http://www.procharger.com/pdf/PC_Marine.pdf
hmmmmmm :headbang: :woohoo:

Danimal
10-14-2005, 02:55 PM
I'd hate to see your fuel bill next summer 8p

tommcat
10-14-2005, 03:03 PM
I'd hate to see your fuel bill next summer 8pcant be any worse than with the snowmobiles in the winter :rolleyes:

erkoehler
10-14-2005, 03:04 PM
I wonder if they have something like that for my engine???? :firejump:

Andyg
10-14-2005, 04:14 PM
I wouldn't mess with the LT-1/powerslot combo. On my 97 190 with this setup I had a top speed of 47 MPH. It also was able to pull a five man barefoot line with the average weight of the guys at about 190 lbs. It pulled all five guys up with everyone only having a single step off ski. That engine/tranny combo rocked. I would give anything to be able to get my 2003 197 up to 47 MPH and be able to pull a fiveman barefoot line.

tommcat
10-15-2005, 01:20 PM
I wouldn't mess with the LT-1/powerslot combo. On my 97 190 with this setup I had a top speed of 47 MPH. It also was able to pull a five man barefoot line with the average weight of the guys at about 190 lbs. It pulled all five guys up with everyone only having a single step off ski. That engine/tranny combo rocked. I would give anything to be able to get my 2003 197 up to 47 MPH and be able to pull a fiveman barefoot line.
Thats good to hear, i wasnt sure if it would be a good combo or not.

Jorski
10-22-2005, 04:21 PM
Thats good to hear, i wasnt sure if it would be a good combo or not.

I suspect that your guy was surprised about the combo as the LT-1 is powerful enough with the 1:1 transmission.

I have an LT-1 without the slot and I will tell you one thing...this engine is torque machine out of the hole; I weigh about 210 and it pops me out of the water with both feet in without punching it all the way... and I get a top end of 47mph...with the stock slot and the LT-1 I doubt anyone could hold on to it if the throttle was mashed all the way down.

Goodbluck with the project...make sure to post pictures!!

Farmer Ted
10-22-2005, 04:30 PM
i have a 97 205 with the LT1, i was wondering if there are any improvements or mods out there to pick up some more power? i notice the 98 motor had more power but cant seem to find out what the differences were and if i could make the changes to mine.
i'm considering a supercharger, anyone here done one yet?
thanks
tom

A dealer I spoke to one time mentioned something about tweaking the ECM on the LT1 to get it to run better or idle better, I don't remember which.

erkoehler
10-22-2005, 04:37 PM

What speed could you hold with the 5 man line? Were you at WOT while they were footin?

tommcat
10-22-2005, 05:23 PM
well after talking to a number of companies i did manage to find someone to help but i would have to drive the boat out to Indiana to get the computer calibration dialed. i am considering installing the LT4 cam from chevy performance and 1.6 rockers and possibly the LT4 heads also.
although a 7 psi charger is still being considered

Farmer Ted
10-22-2005, 11:26 PM
well after talking to a number of companies i did manage to find someone to help but i would have to drive the boat out to Indiana to get the computer calibration dialed. i am considering installing the LT4 cam from chevy performance and 1.6 rockers and possibly the LT4 heads also.
although a 7 psi charger is still being considered

What's the difference between LT1 and LT4 heads?

What rockers does the LT1 have on it now?

What kind of increase in HP can you get from doing these mods?

Farmer Ted
10-23-2005, 12:00 AM
Well all the gearheads at LS1LT1.com seem to think the LT4 conversion is "a waste of money"

"dont waste your money on the lt4 conversion. get your lt1 heads ported and and cam to match...youll see bigger hp gains doing this and less money spent. check out lloyd elliot or advance induction...their ported heads and cam will get you much better gains"

http://www.ls1lt1.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1477

So how much does it cost to get your heads ported and a new cam?

tommcat
10-23-2005, 11:03 AM
What's the difference between LT1 and LT4 heads?

What rockers does the LT1 have on it now?

What kind of increase in HP can you get from doing these mods?
here's a good link for LT4 info..... http://www.grandsportregistry.com/lt1vslt4.htm

my 97 LT1 has 1.5 rockers, for 98 they put in the 1.6 ratio.

if i could get the engine calibration done the HP gains are supposed to be significant. 25-30 horse from what i can tell

Andyg
10-23-2005, 12:43 PM
What speed could you hold with the 5 man line? Were you at WOT while they were footin?

I think it was 36 MPH. Which isn't bad for pulling just under 1000 lbs on barefeet.

Thrall
10-31-2005, 01:11 PM
i just got the boat and havent even had it in the water yet so i dont really know what i need more of. it's an LT1 with the powerslot 1.5 trans, i dont know if it needs more top or bottom but i'd certainly like to get more all around.

I'd drive it first before you think aboot where you're going to dump money into the engine. My LT-1 stock prop, 1:1 get's out of the water real quick, especially at low altitude. W/ the 'slot and a good prop, I'd think it'd be about as quick as you need.

darkbrown
11-10-2005, 10:38 PM
here's a good link for LT4 info..... http://www.grandsportregistry.com/lt1vslt4.htm

my 97 LT1 has 1.5 rockers, for 98 they put in the 1.6 ratio.

if i could get the engine calibration done the HP gains are supposed to be significant. 25-30 horse from what i can tell

I've been considering a set of 1.6 roller rockers (prolly crane) to take some of the laziness out of the cam amd let the heads breath a a little better (more lift, marginal duration change), and i think i can git 1 or 1.5 degrees more advance before the 'puter notices. We'r about 2,000 about sea level here and it is definately not as crisp as it is in the salt.
Opinions on necessity of recalibration of the box?

tommcat
11-11-2005, 11:15 AM
I've been considering a set of 1.6 roller rockers (prolly crane) to take some of the laziness out of the cam amd let the heads breath a a little better (more lift, marginal duration change), and i think i can git 1 or 1.5 degrees more advance before the 'puter notices. We'r about 2,000 about sea level here and it is definately not as crisp as it is in the salt.
Opinions on necessity of recalibration of the box?i havent had a chance to get mine out and read the plugs yet. when summer rols around i will so i know if i can do some minor mods and be safe. i dont know how much of a safety factor they build into the calibration.
at your elevation you probably have a little more room for error than i do at 200 feet.

Storm861triple
11-24-2005, 04:09 PM
Boost your fuel presure if you're worried. On an engine w/a low a specific output as that one, you needn't worry about "safety" though. It's not a snowmobile, and it's makeing not even remotely close to the ~175 hp/liter that a decent 2 stoke makes. You could run that LT1 lean all day long and have no issues.

I think building high RPM hp is not that useful in a DD ski boat. So the head porting/cam type mods aren't appealing to me. Boost would give you increadible all-RPM torque increase, but I'd be worried about the stock trans and drive shaft holding 490 hp and 450+ lb-ft of torque.

If it were my boat, I'd probably do exhast manifolds, 1.6 Roller rockers, aftermarket cam w/more lift but similar duration (LT4 cam has more duration which will hurt low end punch), and mufflers -either eliminate them or find better flowing ones. And throw in an "X" pipe, to mellow the sound and build midrange.