PDA

View Full Version : Starter 1994 prostar

canuckwest
08-05-2013, 03:01 PM
I have had intermittent issues with starter for some time. I've pulled the starter out twice. Once for rebuilt. Second time to have it checked and see if there was still a problem. The shop redid their work and I put it back in. Still getting the same problem...
It seems like there's a "flat spot" on the starter. When you're starting it and turn the key, it may hesitate and then engage and start properly. Seems to occur after engine is warmed up and we're out skiing. Starting first thing in the morning, there doesn't seem to be any delay. I've just cleaned the connections to the starter. Same for battery. And battery is charged full. Sill happened on the water this morning.
Any ideas for next step?

Jerseydave
08-05-2013, 03:35 PM
Check/clean your ground cable at the engine block. Also the mounting surface of the starter should be clean bare metal, no paint. Sometimes the rebuilder sprays too much paint on the starter. If it only acts up when engine is hot, it sounds like a high resistance issue. The starter may test fine on the bench when it's cold, but get it hot and it's a different story.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-05-2013, 04:29 PM
Black ground is always a likely spot for a problem (just cleaned mine yesterday). You could have a high resistance positive or ground cable. Could also have a bad spot on the armature on the starter.