PDA

View Full Version : Extended warranty for a BMW, worth it?

Jerseydave
08-05-2013, 12:52 PM
We are approaching 50K miles on the wife's 2011 BMW X3.

To extend the warranty to 100K miles it will cost $4210
This includes all electronics including NAV, and all other components except for maintenance items such as brake pads, etc.

Do you think it's worth it? Most of the cars we've owned before don't see any need for major repairs until over 100K miles. I'm not a big believer in extended warrantees most of the time.
I would hope the germans build better components than some of the cheap Asian imports.

charleyc
08-05-2013, 12:54 PM
BMW..... Get it or trade it in for a new one. Dont want to have a "minor" repir. Belive me

TxsRiverRat
08-05-2013, 01:06 PM
4200? thats higher than giraffe nuts... but german car maintenance... $500 bucks to get a sensor light turned off... i'd get rid of the car and get a toyota... they're impossible to kill

GoneBoatN
08-05-2013, 01:33 PM

This includes all electronics including NAV, and all other components except for maintenance items such as brake pads, etc.

Do you think it's worth it? Most of the cars we've owned before don't see any need for major repairs until over 100K miles. I'm not a big believer in extended warrantees most of the time.
I would hope the germans build better components than some of the cheap Asian imports.

That seems awful high. However, they are less expensive when you get them at the time you purchase the car new. Is that quoted from a dealership? You may want to contact a local insurance (independent) agent to get a competing price. My neighbor who is an independent insurance agent says that he can quote them and that is why I mention it.

SP Maristar
08-05-2013, 01:49 PM
We have had a 98 528i from 26k to now 132k miles. Other than small things it has been bulletproof. At the current age of the car a dead transmission ($4500) is about he only major cost anticipated. I am a big fan of self insuring whenever possible. Now if the policy were $1200 and the car were a retractable hardtop, i would have a different take.

bdecker
08-05-2013, 01:52 PM
I'd skip it- but then I never buy extended warranties. My wife's 2011 335d has about 77k on it now. I think I'm just under $1k in. If something major goes you win with the warranty, but with my 04 it would have been a total waste of money. Everything went at 120k-135k. The CV boots/ joints were the biggest item. Luckily I had another source to install them.

100k, especially if it's mostly highway will come up pretty fast and isn't really high mileage in my opinion. 100k at a 10-20 mile per day clip is a totally different story and maybe the warranty makes more sense in that instance. If a big repair bill won't change your life dramatically for the worse, my advice is keep your $4k and there is a good chance you'll have $2k+ left over for 100-150k.

Ski-me
08-05-2013, 01:58 PM
We have had a 98 528i from 26k to now 132k miles. Other than small things it has been bulletproof. At the current age of the car a dead transmission ($4500) is about he only major cost anticipated. I am a big fan of self insuring whenever possible. Now if the policy were $1200 and the car were a retractable hardtop, i would have a different take.

We looked at the X5 and the major repairs we kept see on the history were the brakes. And if they are not covered (as I see they are NOT) there may be other fine print. It seems like a LOT of money for an extended warranty. If it was closer to $1500 to $2000, I may consider it.

I assume it's been reliable at this point? I'd honestly try and find a X3 forum and see if others have experience any major issues up to 100k. They are just building cars better these days and 100k is really nothing.

My Yukon XL is at 110k and our Lexus is also at 105k. Nothing in repairs close to $4k so I'd probably pass on it.

zsqure
08-05-2013, 02:06 PM
You are pretty much asking a wrong group of people. Go to a BMW forum, locate an Independent BMW shop for repairs. Stop paying the over inflated dealer prices. 2011 X3? It's made in S. Carolina. Parts should be readily available, at least until 2018 when the product gets redesigned. Get on the BMW forums, find out who is selling warranties for the right price. Those guys know.

Jerseydave
08-05-2013, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the replies so far. I use to be on the M3 forum, so now I'll have to search for an X3 forum. Electronics and turbos are the items that worry me the most, but so far the car has been problem free. (it does like to eat up brakes and tires)

The wife loves it, and so do I. Best driving small SUV (BMW calls it an SAV) that I've ever had the chance to drive. And really quick too!
36 more payments and we'll run it till 200K hopefully!

SP Maristar
08-05-2013, 02:26 PM
My mechanic says he loves the 335 turbo motor. HE loves them because when they go (and they do) they are big money to replace. I think a bit more research on that motor would be a good thing.

zsqure
08-05-2013, 03:44 PM
My mechanic says he loves the 335 turbo motor. HE loves them because when they go (and they do) they are big money to replace. I think a bit more research on that motor would be a good thing.

The 335 motor has been updated since the big fuel pump recall. That year x3 does not have the problem motor/ turbo set up. Turbos can go out in anything. It's the nature of the beast. Not too many vehicles can put as wide a smile on your face as one with the right motor.

Kweisner
08-05-2013, 04:06 PM
I have a 10 year old Z4 and didn't opt for any extended warranty. In the last four years, I have had to (a) fix an electrical gremlin and (b) have some exhaust work done to pass NC Smog inspection. The electrical was a $9 part then ended up costing a grand to diagnose. To be fair to BMW service, they really did put in a lot of labor and ended up taking pity on my and dialing back five hours from actual. The exhaust ended up being about a $700 repair at a non-dealer service facility I trust. Other than that, the car's been essentially flawless, but it's a fairly uncomplicated vehicle (comparatively speaking). Mine is low mileage (just under 69K miles). So unless something catastrophic should occur, I think I'm still pretty ahead of the extended warranty game, for what it's worth!

Andyg
08-05-2013, 08:25 PM
My wife has a 2008 4.8 X5 that we bought the extended warranty for. It covered a radiator replacement at 90,000 miles, but that it is. She now has 180,000 miles on it and we have only had the radiator issue, a wheel bearing replacement at 165,000 and the water pump bearing go out of it 2 weeks ago. Parts for the wheel bearing were like $300 and parts for the water pump was $500. I have a buddy that is my mechanic that I pay in Jack Daniels so I didn't pay labor. Replaced the brakes once at about 70,000 miles. It has been a real solid car for her. My opinion is you can do a lot of repairs even though it is a BMW for $4k. I wouldn't get it.

Andy

Andyg
08-05-2013, 08:31 PM
We didn't pay anywhere near $4k for our extended warranty. Our vehicle was a certfied pre-owned so the extended warranty came with the car. My guess is there was a cost to it, but it was rolled in to the price of the car. We bought her car with 7000 miles on it and I would say it has been pretty good for her so far.

Andy

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
08-05-2013, 08:54 PM

If buying an extended warranty only get a factory extended warranty, do not buy a third party warranty, I have seen way to many 3rd party warranty companies decline repairs that were legitimate concerns, also you can haggle the price on factory extended warranties.

I have a buddy that works at a BMW dealer I can have him look into a price for the platinum coverage warranty that would include the NAVI unit.

Quick
08-05-2013, 08:54 PM
I use to have a BM-trouble you and it was great until about 120k. Had to get rid of it due to the repair. they were more than any monthly payment would have been. It's a crap shoot but if it ends at 100k I probably wouldn't do it but I know nothing about that particular model.

east tx skier
08-06-2013, 10:18 AM
Look for an aftermarket service plan. You can get one that covers just as much as the one from BMW for half the price or less you were quoted. My friend got one up to 100k miles on his 545i and it definitely paid for itself. After my VW's head group was replaced under warranty after a stuck open injector unseated a ring, I refinanced and rolled a 5 yr/100k mile service plan into the loan. $17 per month for piece of mind is definitely worth it.

I never believed in extended warranties before. But I used to be a Honda owner. The VW is loads more fun to drive, but at a price.

Thrall
08-06-2013, 04:48 PM
If I was willing to be $4200 that I was going to have more than $4200 worth of repairs on a basically new car, I'd sell the piece of shat!

m5guy
08-07-2013, 04:22 PM
See if they can certify the X3, if not, 4k seems outrageous for a warranty. Can always sell and try and pick up a CPO X3.

Personally I don't keep any car a day/mile over the factory warranty period.