PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Repair Advice

Kweisner
08-05-2013, 11:44 AM
After towing to the launch, I noticed my spare tire was no longer sitting up vertically and then realized that the entire carrier had broken where it meets the trailer frame. As you can see in the pix below, the arm is broken at the top and bottom welds, and is "hanging by the proverbial thread" having torn the metal in the frame itself. Obviously, the result of some corrosion. My plan is to have some of the weakened metal cut out, and then superimpose with a nice fresh piece of heaver steel as a reinforcing plate. Anybody have the same or similar issues with their trailer, and if so, any advice?

drschemel
08-05-2013, 12:16 PM
looks like some serious corrosion on that trailer frame. To fix the tire bracket, you would probably weld a "C" plate on the frame and then weld the bracket to the plate. You probably need to get a good assessment of the rest of your trailer. Is it just bad in this location due to the welds or is the integrety of the entire trailer in question. Was it ever used in salt water?

Jerseydave
08-05-2013, 12:16 PM
Wow, 2007 trailer? No salt water use? I wonder how strong the rest of the trailer frame is?
They always rust from the inside.

Looks like a welding shop is your best bet. I would assume they will cut out the bad section and weld a 1/4" steel plate to the frame, then weld the spare bracket to the plate.

mikeg205
08-05-2013, 01:01 PM
I would have that trailer inspected - if that joint is bad - I would be suspect of the other joints. I regularly inspect trailer joints since the trailer is 18 years old.

Kweisner
08-05-2013, 01:03 PM
looks like some serious corrosion on that trailer frame. Is it just bad in this location due to the welds or is the integrety of the entire trailer in question. Was it ever used in salt water?

Definitely good advice. It does appear to be somewhat limited to this area. Where I can peer in, the frame rails seem to be in decent shape. . .some surface rust but no real corrosion. What I can't quite grasp is why the corrosion would be limited to this area specifically--maybe the weight of the spare somehow accelerated the rusting in this area? Doesn't seem plausible to me, but I'm no metallurgist.

Wow, 2007 trailer? No salt water use?

Here's the thing about the trailer. . .I'm pretty sure it was [B]not sold originally with the boat. Even though the boat was always freshwater, I think the trailer might have been acquired separately so could have been subject to different conditions. Hope to drop it at the welder next Monday and see if they can fix me up and possibly inspect the rest of the frame rails too.