PDA

View Full Version : Best Fiberglass Restorer - Wax Type or Glass Coat?

PeteS
09-07-2004, 09:21 AM
I've heard mixed things, and I was just wondering what everyone's opinions were on these types of products? The easy-to-apply wipe on products that coat your boat with a glass-like film, or the waxes/rubbing compound products that you buff?

Obviously the wipe on products are easy to apply, but how do they look?

H20skeefreek
09-07-2004, 09:43 AM
I've heard mixed things, and I was just wondering what everyone's opinions were on these types of products? The easy-to-apply wipe on products that coat your boat with a glass-like film, or the waxes/rubbing compound products that you buff?

from my understanding, the glass-coat stuff looks great. then after a season or to, it starts to wear off, and it's impossible to remove to re-apply. DON'T DO IT!!!

go with a rubbing compound, the protect with a good wax.

PeteS
09-07-2004, 10:04 AM
That's what I was thinking, H2O. Looks like 3M has a few good products. Thanks for the advice.

dwe
09-07-2004, 10:07 AM
I called the factroy not too long ago and this was one of the things I asked. For a compound, they like 3m industrial marine grade buffing compound, and to seal it, they like 3m finesse it or meguires mirror glaze.

Diesel
09-07-2004, 10:50 AM
I am going to try this stuff this winter:

http://www.properautocare.com/gelcomakitfo1.html

This is suppose to be the finest sealer/wax for fiberglass gelcoats. It is designed specifically for boats. The guy I talked to said this same formula was used on the molds of most manufactures so you know its got to last.

I'll let you know what I think once I have a chance to use it.

BriEOD
02-20-2005, 08:43 PM
I am going to try this stuff this winter:

http://www.properautocare.com/gelcomakitfo1.html

This is suppose to be the finest sealer/wax for fiberglass gelcoats. It is designed specifically for boats. The guy I talked to said this same formula was used on the molds of most manufactures so you know its got to last.

I'll let you know what I think once I have a chance to use it.

I bought this kit in December along with an orbital buffer and got around to using it all this weekend. The kit comes with everything: 3 pads for compounding, 3 applicators, 3 terri cloths, a wire brush, cleaner for the pads, spray bottle, sealer and compound, plus detailed instructions. It was really easy to use and I thought it did a great job I highly recommend it. My boat sits outside and it's black so it is real easy for it to get chalky. I pulled off the pinstripes Friday and did the rest today. I also got an Ultra Metallic MC and WRSB decal for the stern. I think it contrasts really well with the black.

BriEOD
02-20-2005, 08:53 PM
Here is the new decal:

BriEOD
02-20-2005, 08:54 PM
Here is before I took off the striping and before the restoration kit.

BriEOD
02-20-2005, 08:56 PM
And After...

MarkP
02-20-2005, 09:08 PM
Nice job Brian. That looks great!! Sure worth doing when it turns out like that.:toast:

BriEOD
02-20-2005, 09:14 PM
Thanks Mark,

I spent the afternoon in the garage and drank a few beers, but it went well. I still have to put the new pinstripe on but that will have to wait for another day. That high speed orbital buffer makes the job a cake walk.

H20skeefreek
02-20-2005, 09:51 PM
looks great bri, I thought mine looked good, but you may have to come up and do mine??

budman
02-20-2005, 11:46 PM
I have the same boat and am doing the same thing.Got the stripes of and in the process of polishing good job I think I will try that product too! How much was the decal and what do you ask for.

east tx skier
02-20-2005, 11:50 PM
Nice job, Brian. Looks great.

NeilM
02-21-2005, 01:39 AM
Great job, Brian!

BrianM
02-21-2005, 07:50 AM
How are y'all getting the pinstripes off of your older boats? I am thinking of removing one of mine so I can replace it with new.

As for a restore I have had good luck with Meguires Color Restore. It is in a blue bottle and made for fiberglass. This has worked really well for minor oxidation. My dash is black and when I first bought the boat it was chalking pretty bad. I did a couple of hand rubbed applications of the color restore and it looks like new. If you have minor oxidation and don't want to get into a bigger project you might want to give this a try first.

BriEOD
02-21-2005, 07:59 AM
I have the same boat and am doing the same thing.Got the stripes of and in the process of polishing good job I think I will try that product too! How much was the decal and what do you ask for.

I looked all over the internet for a place that could make me an ultra metallic silver decal. This place has the pin stripe and can make the decals. I want to say I paid like $115 for the decal though. The ultra metallic silver stuff is expensive.

http://new.far-from-normal.com/index.html

Email her and tell her you need:
1" ultra metallic silver pin stripe 50 ft
1/4" red pin stripe 50 ft x2
MC (I think it's 3" measure it) Hemi Head 426 is the font
http://www.1001fonts.com/font_details.html?font_id=2161
As for the Comp Ski Boat or whatever you want, I believe it's 2" (measure) and it is Eurostyle Bold Extended font. However, I could not find this font for free anywhere. It's like $30 to download it and she doesn't have it. I tried to get something close and it ended up being longer than what I wanted, I guess I wasn't clear. But, I already paid for it so I'm going to use it.

Let me know if you need anything else.

BriEOD
02-21-2005, 08:02 AM
How are y'all getting the pinstripes off of your older boats? I am thinking of removing one of mine so I can replace it with new.

As for a restore I have had good luck with Meguires Color Restore. It is in a blue bottle and made for fiberglass. This has worked really well for minor oxidation. My dash is black and when I first bought the boat it was chalking pretty bad. I did a couple of hand rubbed applications of the color restore and it looks like new. If you have minor oxidation and don't want to get into a bigger project you might want to give this a try first.

B,

I used a propane blow torch ($20 at Home Depot) held it about 2 feet from the stripe and went back and forth over a section for about 20 seconds. Than I just used my thumbnail to start peeling it back and it would come off in about a 2-3 foot section. The little 1/4" stripes come off very easy it's that big 1" stripe that is the bear.

B

BriEOD
02-21-2005, 08:04 AM
Great job, Brian!

Neil-- :wavey:

Long time no see!

PeteS
02-21-2005, 08:08 AM
Looking great, BriEOD! I finished up mine this weekend using a 3M Combo product, it's a rubbing compound plus a wax in one. Does a great job on oxidation, and then if you finish up with a coat of wax the boat is very reflective!

BriEOD
02-21-2005, 08:13 AM
Sounds great Pete! Yes, it is nice to have that gloss back.

SteveO
02-21-2005, 08:43 AM
Brian,

Looks great. You have me motivated to do mine this weekend.

BriEOD
02-21-2005, 08:51 AM
Go for it.

budman
02-21-2005, 11:46 PM
how much do you have in the decal? I have the same boat with the same issue,looks good !

BriEOD
02-22-2005, 07:00 AM
About $115 I think.

phecksel
02-22-2005, 11:17 AM
B,

I used a propane blow torch ($20 at Home Depot) held it about 2 feet from the stripe and went back and forth over a section for about 20 seconds. B

Toolman giving you advice? I wouldn't go anywhere near my hull with a torch.

BriEOD
02-22-2005, 09:44 PM
No actually I think Thrall made the suggestion. It worked very well and I didn't have any issues. What, no faith in your abilities...parkinsons?
Us bomb techs have very steady hands. EOmfD

milkmania
03-01-2005, 12:28 AM
I'm wondering how everyone is compounding and buffing their boats on the trailer...
I see it being difficult getting between the trailer fenders and the boat's hull.

Also, I'm needing new decals and pinstrip for mine...should I compound and wax before I install new graphics or after?

the people that did my registration numbers will probably be the ones doing the graphics, but what about the large medallions with the star & boat (on the rear sides)....how and where did you get yours?
Should I get measurements from my old decals before I start peeling mine off, or just photos?

mine are simple white/black graphics on a Red/White 1991 PS190

I've got a local paint & body guy that's going to get me started with the buffer, pads, and 3M products

also, BriEOD, the boat looks great!

BriEOD
03-01-2005, 06:44 AM
I'm wondering how everyone is compounding and buffing their boats on the trailer...
I see it being difficult getting between the trailer fenders and the boat's hull.

Also, I'm needing new decals and pinstrip for mine...should I compound and wax before I install new graphics or after?

the people that did my registration numbers will probably be the ones doing the graphics, but what about the large medallions with the star & boat (on the rear sides)....how and where did you get yours?
Should I get measurements from my old decals before I start peeling mine off, or just photos?

mine are simple white/black graphics on a Red/White 1991 PS190

I've got a local paint & body guy that's going to get me started with the buffer, pads, and 3M products

also, BriEOD, the boat looks great!

You just do the best you can around the trailer wheel wells, boat buddy, and underneath. I didn't replace the PS 190 decals or the big MC decals on the sides, they were fine. I did compound and wax mine while all of the pinstripe and stern decal was off. I haven't yet put the pinstripe back on. Before you spend your money with that shop at least check out this site. They send you a kit that literally has everything you need including instructions. http://www.properautocare.com/gelcomakitfo1.html

T Scott
03-01-2005, 07:52 AM
B,

I used a propane blow torch ($20 at Home Depot) held it about 2 feet from the stripe and went back and forth over a section for about 20 seconds. Than I just used my thumbnail to start peeling it back and it would come off in about a 2-3 foot section. The little 1/4" stripes come off very easy it's that big 1" stripe that is the bear.

B

If you use a blow torch, be very careful. I have had success removing decals using the wifes hair dryer. It may take a little longer, but there is no risk of melting your boat!

:twocents:

jayderwin1
03-03-2005, 12:58 PM
can you buff and wax on the decals or do you have to work around them?

BriEOD
03-03-2005, 01:06 PM
You can buff on them just don't apply as much pressure.

jayderwin1
03-03-2005, 01:15 PM
thanks. i am think about doing mine this weekend i am dreading it.

BriEOD
03-03-2005, 02:01 PM
A a few hours and a few beers and you'll be glad you did it.

jayderwin1
03-03-2005, 03:05 PM
what kind of buffing compound should i use, i fine of grit?

BriEOD
03-06-2005, 10:26 AM
Their are some specific compounds, restoration type products for gel coat. I'd go with that.

BriEOD
03-06-2005, 08:29 PM
Ok, I got the all three pin stripes back on today and it was fairly easy. If you just take your time. I didn't need any soap/water, etc. I applied it right where I took it off (you could see a difference in color) and then went over it with my wife's hair dryer. It looks really good. Sorry no photos.

PeteS
03-07-2005, 08:26 AM
What does everyone like for wax? As a good amount of us have chosen 303 Aerospace Protectant for our interiors, are there any "hands-down" favorites for wax?

I've been simply using a tub of Turtle Wax that I picked up from the local hardware store. The only reason for that was there were about 15 different products to choose from on the shelf, none of which I had any experience with.

Thrall
03-07-2005, 11:28 AM

Pete, I'm not a good "linker" of threads, so I brought up to the top a good discussion here in Appearance about gelcoat restoration, and also one in the General Discussion under the title " Painting my MC".
Hope it helps.

Koup's Craft
03-09-2005, 01:15 AM
Where di you get the deacls from? They look nice.

PeteS
03-09-2005, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the reply, Thrall. I ended up going with the 3M Fibeglass Restorer & Wax, and it worked very well. I'd reccomend the product.

I curious now as to what everyone's favorite wax is. You seem to be a reputable "appearance" person on the site, what have your experiences been and which product is your favorite? Thanks!

Thrall
03-09-2005, 05:22 PM
Pete, I haven't owned the boat very long, only a year. I use Nu Finish, primarily because it was what was sitting on my shelf when it came time to wax the boat. It seems to last pretty long. W/ the ugly waterspots from AZ lakes, I had to wipe the boat down w/ vinegar and water after every time out. The Nu Finish would last for about a half dozen outings before water wouldn't bead on it.