PDA

View Full Version : Blower box under dash at helm

bowtie guy
08-04-2013, 03:53 PM
Hi, brand new here, I hope I can find an answer to this. I just bought a 1990 Tristar 220, there is a box beneath the dash of the helm that appears to be some kind of a blower, turns on with the auxiliary switch. What exactly is that? Probably a dumb question, but I'm just not sure.

Cloaked
08-04-2013, 04:05 PM
Hi, brand new here, I hope I can find an answer to this. I just bought a 1990 Tristar 220, there is a box beneath the dash of the helm that appears to be some kind of a blower, turns on with the auxiliary switch. What exactly is that? Probably a dumb question, but I'm just not sure.It is a dumb question... :D however even dumber if you didn't ask and not put the blower in service. Use it liberally (no pun intended for nor cal.) before start-up on most occasions.

That is one of your best safety features on the boat as well as required by law....

It serves to keep potential flammable and volatile off-gases from gasoline, vented away from accumulating in confined (unventilated) spaces.

Put some new hoses on the system if they look worn, tattered, or have holes in the vent hoses... it's a cheap and easy fix.

Not a dumb question at all. :)

bowtie guy
08-04-2013, 04:44 PM
OK, thanks. Second dumb question...there's a white "inline" blower in the bilge, one end (aft) has a hose going under engine, the other is exposed. It's wired but doesn't work with the "blower" dash panel switch (nor does anything else). Missing a hose going toward the bow? Bad blower or switch? Supposed to have two blowers?

catamount
08-04-2013, 04:48 PM
Something is definitely "off" with your setup.

The Accessory switch should power your heater blower (if equipped).
The Blower switch should power your fresh air blower.

It sounds like maybe your previous owner added a 2nd blower? Maybe he was a real OCD type guy, or had already blown up once in a previous life.

Do you see a heater core under your bow as well?

bowtie guy
08-04-2013, 04:53 PM
Geeez, wish I was at home to take a pic....the box mounted under the dash is metal, probably 12"x12"x6"(ish), has 3 or 4 hose in-or-outlets. One has no hose, two hoses head to the open bow area, and one goes under the floor...hope that helps.

catamount
08-04-2013, 05:02 PM
Oh, okay.. that's your heater. There is a valve on your engine, and when open it routes warm water through that box and the fan blows it on you and your passengers. It's nice on cool mornings or cool evenings.

Now, what you really need to do is figure out why the "fume blower" isn't working. That's a critical part of owning an inboard. You MUST run that blower for several minutes before running the boat, and many people run it at slow speeds as well.

Your blower may be in/around the engine or mine is tucked into the stern above the gas tank. Get your test light and figure out why it isn't working -- before using the boat again.

bowtie guy
08-04-2013, 05:04 PM
AHHH ok a heater. Yes I'll get the blower working asap. Thanks so much catamount and everyone else on here that helps us out!

jafo9
08-04-2013, 05:43 PM
its pretty common for the heater core to develop a leak. the "typical" fix is to bypass or plug the water lines and stop using the heater. it will still blow air, just not hot air. check the routing of the lines. there should be 1 where water leaves the block and another where water return to the block after circulating through the radiator part of the heater. the other much larger and less sturdy lines are the actual air vents. you can have a local radiator shop plug a leak or you can usually replace the core from someplace like skidim.com.

bowtie guy
08-04-2013, 11:44 PM
ok thanks!

ricford
08-05-2013, 10:07 PM
As a follow up, the blower does not need a hose on the intake. It sucks air from the bilge and blows out, through the hose on the back, to a vent usually above the transom.

maristardd
08-05-2013, 11:22 PM
On my 94 maristar, 'ACC-1' is for the heater/fan mounted under the dash like yours, and 'ACC-2' for the motor that powers the shower.

Traxx822
08-05-2013, 11:25 PM
On my 94 maristar, 'ACC-1' is for the heater/fan mounted under the dash like yours, and 'ACC-2' for the motor that powers the shower.

I have a series of hoses under my dash and observer seat that seem to go to no where, and an acc1 switch that is finicky. Maybe because it's trying to run a heater blower I don't know exists.

I will be investigating this tomorrow

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2