PDA

View Full Version : 13 X30 v Nautique G23

DHPRO
08-03-2013, 06:55 PM
Test drove both today...Both very different rides and TOTALLY different wakes. X30 was significantly cheaper... Any opinions? I'd really like to hear what you guys know or have heard. This will be my first boat and focus will be on surfing as much as boarding.
Thnx!

MI_Corey
08-03-2013, 06:58 PM
If you have the budget to go after a G23 you should test drive a comparable MC and then decide.

DHPRO
08-03-2013, 07:01 PM
If you have the budget to go after a G23 you should test drive a comparable MC and then decide.

What's the comp? XStar?

tmacx2
08-03-2013, 07:06 PM
Xstar would be more comparable to G23 but would like to hear your thoughts on each boat.

FourFourty
08-03-2013, 07:24 PM
What's the comp? XStar?

Or X46.... Although, that will be cheaper than a G23 as well.

Mastercraft13
08-03-2013, 07:31 PM
In my opinion unless you are a hardcore wake boarder why spend the cash on a G23, x-30 has a fantastic surf wake as well as being a great all around boat. I'm sure the G23 does not have a ski wake. Save the cash and you can use the x30 for other activities as well.

DHPRO
08-03-2013, 07:39 PM
Xstar would be more comparable to G23 but would like to hear your thoughts on each boat.

Ill run thru all the diffs after getting everyone's opinions...I wanna hear what people think before influencing it with mine.

MI_Corey
08-03-2013, 07:51 PM
Yeah, I would say if you are a hardcore boarder and have the cash flow then compare a x46 or xstar to the g23. Other wise compare the new sn 210 or similar to the x30 for a more all around boat.

Ryan
08-03-2013, 07:57 PM
Can you share the price ranges you saw on the x30 & g23? Were they equally optioned?

DHPRO
08-03-2013, 08:09 PM
Yeah, I would say if you are a hardcore boarder and have the cash flow then compare a x46 or xstar to the g23. Other wise compare the new sn 210 or similar to the x30 for a more all around boat.

I was thinking maybe the 230 was a good comp to the X30,but they didn't have one to drive. Both boats I drove and played with we're demos with less than 20hrs, with meaningful diff in prices. G was better optioned, but most were came standard...230 is prob $20k less than the G

swatguy
08-03-2013, 08:14 PM
Here is a really great thread. Quite a bit of honest feedback with minimal hate.

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=798932

I have spent quite a bit of time in the G23. Few pulls behind a new Xstar. You can read my comments in the link and I will add these after more time in each. I think the X30 comparison is a fair one. Its more versatile than an XStar. The new Star is still wakeboard specific. It really is no where close to the G surf wise. The G with NSS is awesome. It surfs great with just stock ballast. The wakeboard wake is my personal preference and it goes to the G for cleanliness, consistancy, and pop. The G does not drive like the barge everyone claims it looks like. The Star does handle better for sure. Also the star still wins in the looks category. It still looks great in the water and on the trailer. The G on the trailer is scary and does kind of look odd with its current tower.

The 13 x30 I was behind wakeboarding was also a great wake. It was just a touch more rampy than the 03-11 Star and just lacked the kick that version Star had. The 30 wake was very very consistant and clean. I would rate it as a very similar wakeboard wake to the original 205v wake just with a longer transition. That 03-11 Star is my absolute favorite wake of all time this far, even after riding the G. It is perfect, consistant and clean, but the boat just does that. It's a one trick pony. The one trick it does do is maxed to perfection. My limited experience with the new 13 one has been inconsistent . Some good days , some not so good days in my 5 days behind two different ones.

The G is just so much more versatile than the Star IMO. That's why I think an X30 comparison fits the bill somewhat. I really think the G versatility sells people and the looks make some people run. I think the G looks turn more people off from the go, but if they actually drove it, it would change their opinion. Lets face it tho........looks sell a ton of boats. The Xstar's interior has so much attention to detail and is much more refined. There is a ton of exposed fiberglass in the G so the interior looks really plain where the Stars screams high end. Again tho if wakeboarding is the real only comparison it's tough call, but throw the versatility of the G in there it really shines. The fact that you don't need to fill all the storage with PWT sacs to get a large clean wake is nice as well.

swatguy
08-03-2013, 08:20 PM
The 230 really is no where near the new x30. The X30 is a hands down winner for boarding and surfing as well as overall looks and performance. The 230 is a bit of old technogy so to speak with the hull. I haven't surfed the X30 myself but being in both boats wakeboarding and hearung the sirect comments from people who actually own a 230 and were behin the X30 is was unanimous. The edge was all for the X30. Nautique is talking about revamping the the 230 anyways.

DHPRO
08-03-2013, 08:43 PM
I can tell u the G was more versatile at wake setup...X30 has less stock ballast, and was much more sensitive to passenger situational seating...the G was pretty much ambiguous to that last and the NSS was very impressive (goofy and regular)... U cud transition to heel side and jump the wake in fact! Also it was less about transferring ballast from one side to the other and more about the NSS, wave was easier to tune for ramp and pocket...the well at the platform was pretty deep tho, the boat ran a deeper and more hull pushing more water...going home it was noisier, porpoised more and felt more like we were drifting around corners. Generally I liked the X better for drive ability, interior, ride...the wake can def be made to be what's needed, but it's not as simple and requires lots more experimentation. There were no surf tabs this boat nor pro package, just the center tab...

rodltg2
08-03-2013, 08:43 PM
FYI, the new 230 is already out.

I can only comment on the G23 , as I have spent about 10 hours in one. The boat is simply amazing. I wouldn't want one as I am a skier. If I was really into wakeboarding and surfing with a large group of people, this boat is a winner. The boat looks like a tank , but it handles really well . The surf system works great, so if surfing is priority, this is the boat to get as MC does not have a comparable system. Price is high though, I personally could not justify spending 100k+ on any boat.I hope ski boats don't get there in my life time!

swatguy
08-03-2013, 09:01 PM
FYI, the new 230 is already out.

I can only comment on the G23 , as I have spent about 10 hours in one. The boat is simply amazing. I wouldn't want one as I am a skier. If I was really into wakeboarding and surfing with a large group of people, this boat is a winner. The boat looks like a tank , but it handles really well . The surf system works great, so if surfing is priority, this is the boat to get as MC does not have a comparable system. Price is high though, I personally could not justify spending 100k+ on any boat.I hope ski boats don't get there in my life time!

Huh guess with all the g series realeases I completely missed the '14 230. There u have it, it's in fact official. No months of teasers hype and gimmicks.

DHPRO
08-03-2013, 11:38 PM
2014 230 about $10-15k less than 13 G...

501s
08-04-2013, 12:36 AM
I have a 30, and have 1.5 years on the new hull. Surf wise, I have yet to surf anything better. Very very easy to setup on both sides and the more weight the bigger it keeps getting. We don't have surf tabs and although they are supposed to help, I have found the wave to be near perfect.

Wakeboard wise, the wake is very clean, even at low speeds and can get as big as you want. It doesn't have a lot of vertical lip like an older nautique but it can still launch you as big as you wanna go and just keeps getting bigger with weight.

The X-30 has the most storage of any MC made, has one of the best surf waves, has an excellent wakeboard wake, and a well thought out interior and seating, and handles like a 21 foot boat. Out of all the boats and brand to throw up head to head against a G (which costs a lot more) I think the 30 is a good comparison.

As always, a few wakeboard pics. If this wake isn't big enough for you, please upload a video of your riding ;)

mcLove
08-04-2013, 04:04 AM
Natique is way overpriced and looks like a giant bathtub.

AlbertaSurfer
08-04-2013, 04:23 AM
No offense, but this is a typical internet thread topic. There's no "answer" to the question, but there's a whole lot of opinion. Personally, I say EVERY Nautique wastes EVERY MasterCraft in EVERY aspect, especially looks... But that's my opinion. As equally as I hate the picklefork, others love it. In my opinion, Supra and Nautique did the super bow correctly, and MasterCraft blew it. G23 vs X-30? No contest, especially if you surf... GM Cobalt vs Ford Mustang? Dodge Avenger VS Nissan GT-R? The G series Nautiques are the best wakeboard/ wakesurf boats on the market, hands down. Like them or not, well that's you're opinion. Is Ford the "best" pickup? or is Nissan? or Dodge? Or are they all the same?

DHPRO
08-04-2013, 08:36 AM
As I am no expert at riding the wakes, I can only speak to the looks and structure at this point. The G definitely has the edge on tuneability, ease of set up, and overall structure of the wake. As I said before, the X seems capable of the same, it just takes more experimentation and effort to make that happen - some might even say that's part of the fun? X def had the edge on "go home" drive being smoother and Escalade like vs the Gs "pulling a trailer" feel.
All that aside, the G I drove was 50% more than the X and had no trailer. Equally priced or even within 10-15%, I might lift the G...but gonna wait on the build sheets for both and final pricing/goodies they throw in.
I took some vid of both wakes and Ill try and make time to post EM up.

DHPRO
08-04-2013, 11:02 AM
G23 port side wake (NSS at 5 & 3, full ballast - 2800lbs), then X30 Goofy (starboard and coffin ballast)....sorry didn't have same side for both

Kimper
08-04-2013, 11:10 AM
Here's an entertaining thread on your topic

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=797401

I also demoed both boats and had a very slight tussle with the decision.
Admittedly we surf 90% of the time so wakeboard wake was not of paramount importance. Also I did not get to weight the G23 on the demo the way I wanted and there was no NSS on the boat. (I could care less about NSS because I don't want to haul double the weight and we have no goofy riders).
Anyway, I think with proper weighting the G23 would have had a comparable surf wave to the properly weighted X30, and the G23 is a beautiful boat and I actually somewhat preferred its finish out and styling. However, it was no where close to 27k worth of better!

You can read through the above thread on wakeworld and see some more of my thoughts on the two.

In the end the X30 had a better surf wave and costs 27k less for comparably equipped boats in my market here in Texas.

As far as the 230. I haven't been behind one, but they aren't exactly know as great surfers, but who knows about a 2014. I would demo it for sure.

Here's X30 surf shot:
http://imageshack.us/a/img15/3126/t6o4.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img820/3379/dsc0038ph.jpg

Here is the G23 I demoed:
http://imageshack.us/a/img37/1926/dsc0002pw.jpg

Here is its stock ballast wave. Looks nice and clean, but with stock ballast had a really short pocket. I suspect pocket length would correct just dandy with proper weight:
http://imageshack.us/a/img803/3002/dsc0013sjb.jpg

DHPRO
08-04-2013, 11:19 AM
Wake board wakes...red is X30

TMC
08-04-2013, 11:23 AM
Test drove both today...Both very different rides and TOTALLY different wakes. X30 was significantly cheaper... Any opinions? I'd really like to hear what you guys know or have heard. This will be my first boat and focus will be on surfing as much as boarding.
Thnx!

DHPRO -

If there are any questions that we can answer for you, please let us know. For sure you have good taste to be looking at either a MasterCraft or G23. Of course, we are impartial here at MasterCraft :) but we think for good reason. If you want someone at MC to chat with you, please let me know and I will work to arrange that.

Kudos for doing your homework...

Jason

DHPRO
08-04-2013, 12:53 PM
One thing about the G that caught my eye was how tall the boat is...maybe better ocean boat, less chance of swamping?

KahunaCraft
08-04-2013, 03:01 PM
I put 200 hrs this year on my X30. I can give you my opinion but, I think you're doing exactly what I would do again.

Try them both more with more ballast and surf them with the same board. I'd add the new 230 and X46 to the shopping cart.

I've been very happy with the surf wave and adjustability for various riders.

Some things we've done that I didn't expect:

1. Smaller kids like to boogie board and kneel on a surf board instead of surf. They end up roughly 25-40ft behind the boat based on their weight, skill and the board they use ...

2. Friends that are use to other wakes on other boats take about 3 - 4 runs to get use to the pocket. They start pumping and end up adjusting their feet to the back of the board. The push is like cheating and they don't expect it ... as another example, 100% of our riders let go of the rope, often within 2-3 tries.

3. Switching sides is managed by the ballasts. We don't have surf tabs and really haven't had trouble timing the draining while surfing and switching without losing more than a minute or two. I should admit that the super sacr and piggy back system help and I'm in the middle of adding two sac to sac transfer pumps.

4. The 30 doesn't need much or any ballast to surf. Get a few people to one side and you're golden. We add a lot of ballast because it just gets better and better with weight.

This is about 80% sac'd

Tuning would be faster with the G, but also keep the costs in mind... As I understand it the price delta is significant. The fuel consumption is also higher by a fair margin. I hear the handling isn't bad, but by comparison, the 30 does handle great.

The 30 was MC's first surf boat and I'd call it an instant success and would place it on the podium with any other vendor in the space (even with NSS and surf gate and ram fill and switch blades, later not used anymore) . Suspect that 2 yrs later, the 46 might have a leg up on it, but haven't tried one yet.

As for the G23 or 230 (new one) I'd understand the costs and depreciation a little more before buying.

Aric'sX15
08-04-2013, 05:41 PM
No offense, but this is a typical internet thread topic. There's no "answer" to the question, but there's a whole lot of opinion. Personally, I say EVERY Nautique wastes EVERY MasterCraft in EVERY aspect, especially looks... But that's my opinion. As equally as I hate the picklefork, others love it. In my opinion, Supra and Nautique did the super bow correctly, and MasterCraft blew it. G23 vs X-30? No contest, especially if you surf... GM Cobalt vs Ford Mustang? Dodge Avenger VS Nissan GT-R? The G series Nautiques are the best wakeboard/ wakesurf boats on the market, hands down. Like them or not, well that's you're opinion. Is Ford the "best" pickup? or is Nissan? or Dodge? Or are they all the same?

now i do think the 210 and 230s are great looking boats, but the 230s wake suck and wash out like crazy. supras SA bow is horrendous and literally sticks out like a sore thumb, and the G23 has the bow of old glastrons. now on to your comparisons that are completely wrong. does the x30 and g23 do the same thing? yes, but the G23 has more ballast and not as refined or luxurious as a 30, not to mention the interior sucks and lacks any attention to detail like that of any mastercraft for that matter. if I'm dropping 130k on a boat, it wont be ugly and have a plain jane squared off interior. I haven't ridden the new star, so i wont be a fanboy like most other people that try and run their mouths on the g23 vs star comparison. The 30-g23 is a relevant comparison due to their size and options, and comparing the dodge avenger to a 100k wake boat is just dumb.

AlbertaSurfer
08-04-2013, 06:34 PM
I was making a point of personal opinion. Saying I'm wrong that the G series bow is nicer is a false statement. My post was completely relevant in that Internet forums are always filled with opinion passed of as factual. If I was spending 130k on a boat, it wouldn't be an MC. If you would, that's cool and I'm sure MC thanks you for it. Do I like my XStar? Yeah, I've put so much into it, it's got everything I want. Would I be happier with a SAN? Yup...

chriscraftmatt1976
08-04-2013, 06:41 PM
Surfing is too easy. Just sayin... :)

rodltg2
08-05-2013, 11:33 AM
Plus a ridiculous amount if money to spend to surf behind a boat. Ill stick to my ski boat and take trips to the beach if I wanna surf ! Lol . I do wanna try it though.

chriscraftmatt1976
08-06-2013, 02:16 PM
Trips to the beach still don't often lead to surfing in mi! I do believe there's a group of hardcore lake mi guys that surf in this state, but the boat is a guaranteed endless wave. Anybody ever seen the documentary 'step into liquid'? If not, I highly suggest it. Awesome movie.

jbkriss
08-06-2013, 03:00 PM
Are the prices really that different between a new X30 and G23? Each new one I see of either is in the ballpark of $120-$130... I've read that the new SAN 210 and 230 are being built with fewer creature comforts- more of a no frills, value-type of attitude... leaving all the bling to the G23/25. With the addition of the G21 which is expected, it seems to make sense to keep the proven hulls of the 210 and 230 in production and position them as an economical alternative to the G series. Personally, I am looking forward to comparing the X25 with the upcoming G21.

501s
08-06-2013, 04:26 PM
The new 210 and 230's "lower" prices are basiclly the same as 2013. So their idea of a budget conscious boat is still $100k range, the prices just didnt go up.

And the X30 is a good $15-20k less than a G. Maybe more depending on dealer and market.

chriscraftmatt1976
08-06-2013, 04:44 PM
There's no way in hades I would drop that on a ski boat. If I get into something for over 100k, it's going to be way cooler than a ski boat...

501s
08-06-2013, 08:06 PM
Well if people didn't drop that kinda money on a "ski boat" there would be no MC around. Some people like a 1983 mustang, some like a 2013 porche 911, some like an 83 Stars and Stripes some like a 2014 Xstar. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

chriscraftmatt1976
08-06-2013, 10:07 PM
Well if people didn't drop that kinda money on a "ski boat" there would be no MC around. Some people like a 1983 mustang, some like a 2013 porche 911, some like an 83 Stars and Stripes some like a 2014 Xstar. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Agreed, I got no hate. I'm just a purist. I would love to someday own a v-drive wake machine, but until there's a csx stars n stripes, I'm waiting...

Kimper
08-06-2013, 11:07 PM
Are the prices really that different between a new X30 and G23? .

Yes, Best dealer quote here in Texas:
X-30 - 90k
G23 - 117k

Similar options

DHPRO
08-07-2013, 11:10 AM
Havent seen the exact quote and build sheet yet from the MC dealer yet and both are freshwater setups...X no pro package, G fully loaded. Fact is the G just isn't worth 50% more for me - options or no - maybe 10%?
X-30 - 80k
G23 - 121k

Yes, Best dealer quote here in Texas:
X-30 - 90k
G23 - 117k

Similar options

Tommy1005
08-07-2013, 11:44 AM
with the 6.2 in the X30 and the ZR450 in the G23 I was quoted $100K and $127K respectively. Not sure it's worth 30% increase in cost, plus the extra gas to tow it and the extra gas for the boat since it seems to like to burn through the gas.

501s
08-07-2013, 12:19 PM
41k difference? That's huge. That's a new truck! Not worth it in my eyes.

scott023
08-07-2013, 12:35 PM
41k difference? That's huge. That's a new truck! Not worth it in my eyes.

No doubt. That's an insane difference.

DHPRO
08-07-2013, 12:45 PM
I'm equating this to Cadillac vs Audi/BMW...euro handling, American power, but more a users machine that takes some tuning to get what you want. Just different, not overall hands down better or worse...each has better and price will determine my purchase once I find exactly what I want...color will matter (no offense but pls no more baby blue), power will matter (bigger is always better��) and it must be SS, ...oh and and newer is better!

Tri4X2
08-08-2013, 12:45 PM
Best Price I have seen in Tx

X-30 with Pro Package 90k out the door
G-23 with similar 122k OTD

Tri4X2
08-08-2013, 12:47 PM
I was also told by the dealer that if I was looking at the G series... it's = would be the Star.

G-25 = XStar/X46
G-23 = X35

This is just what the dealer told me. BTW I have mad respect for the Nauti dealer here in Austin. These guys have always treated me very well. The prices on the X30 came from Texas Ski Ranch that is no longer in the MC Business.

mcLove
08-08-2013, 03:22 PM
Id you want SS you need to be looking at an x35, not the x30.

mcLove
08-08-2013, 03:22 PM

If. My mistake.

DHPRO
08-08-2013, 03:43 PM

Why 35 v 30?

mcLove
08-08-2013, 09:11 PM
The 35 has a way deeper hull that will cut through chop better and is high like the g23. Price will be a little more than the 30 but will still be less than the g23. Its a lot like the 55 just shorter.

DHPRO
08-09-2013, 09:26 AM
The 35 has a way deeper hull that will cut through chop better and is high like the g23. Price will be a little more than the 30 but will still be less than the g23. Its a lot like the 55 just shorter.

Ill do some homework...I do like the higher side walls, but not the pickle fork bow.

texasjet
08-09-2013, 12:45 PM
Would also suggest driving an x35. While they are supposed to be great in rough water, my understanding is they don't drive very well. I think the exact words i was told were "drives like a bus".

mcLove
08-09-2013, 03:04 PM
Would also suggest driving an x35. While they are supposed to be great in rough water, my understanding is they don't drive very well. I think the exact words i was told were "drives like a bus".
Well the g23 isn't known to drive that great either.

chriscraftmatt1976
08-09-2013, 09:16 PM

Wake boats are supposed to go straight and throw a giant wake. That's all. Most the big boys that I've driven don't handle too amazingly.

texasjet
08-09-2013, 11:24 PM

But the point is the OP was looking to compare an X30 and a G23. And then an X35 got introduced. So the point of comparing the original 2 boats and then the newly introduced x35 boat raises the question.

Anyway, IMO would have to be a REALLY BIG set of circumstances to pay lots of $$$$ for a great mastercraft boat and have it drive like a bus. Also, the X30 can loft a darn big wakeboard wake. So unless you really should be looking at an Xstar all loaded up with ballast the x30 is a very good option with very handling.

DHPRO
08-10-2013, 09:42 AM
Agreed...I have spoken with some Fla guys though and they tell me the 35 is a better coastal boat due to the taller sidewalls...

Tri4X2
08-10-2013, 12:50 PM
35 is a deeper V with more free board... Surfs just fine... 30 is easier to set up and play

DHPRO
08-10-2013, 02:18 PM
Hehe...when I started shopping early July, my budget wa $40k...then a week later I was willing to consider $70k...now I can't believe I'm actually thinking about a new boat! My first house wasn't much more, and it wasn't worth 20% less out the door...man I really wish leasing was available from MC.

thamax
08-10-2013, 03:53 PM
I hear that the all the G-23/25 are horrible on fuel consumption?? at worst my star is 11 gals an hour that's stacked out 3,000 lbs surfing. wakeboarding 7-9 gals an hour depending on the weight setup but at least 7-8 hrs out of tank. TT and wake world they say 16+ gals an hour that means I could be out in 4-5 hours on a tank! I would upset having to drop $200 at noon to keep riding guess you would have to tie up with the party boats to get a day out of tank. but you guys that went on demos what did you observe??

501s
08-10-2013, 07:44 PM
I am averaging about 6 gallons per hour split between 3200 lbs wakeboarding and 2200 surfing on my 2013 X30 with the 6.0 and I thought that was pretty high. My friend with a Moomba Mojo with about 3k is averaging about 4 gallons per hour. I call it a Wake Prius.

11 gallons is crazy!

thamax
08-10-2013, 08:31 PM
Wow u get some crazy good mileage cause I don't never have but the mcx doesn't get the best mileage. I've been on a mojo and at my elevation never could run over 2500 lbs in boat wouldn't get up to speed. He claims 5-8 gals an hour surfing he doesn't wakeboard.

501s
08-10-2013, 09:08 PM
My fiend with the mojo has 1100s in the rear and 450 up front plus 400 lead plus a 400 bag and it gets on plane no problem actually. The wake however washes a little at slower speeds (22 ish) with all that weight. Fuel exeoy is amazon though. Without a lot of ballast he had gotten almost 15 hours on a single tank and it was still at 1/4.

I just ordered the new Acme 15x12 prop for my 30 so I will be posting up a comparison between the two for RPMs, fuel economy and time to plane within the week or so.

thamax
08-12-2013, 03:16 PM
keep us posted on the results. what prop are you running right now?

501s
08-12-2013, 07:18 PM
Right now I am running the factory High Alt prop, a OJ #470, 4 Blade 14.25" x 14". Its pretty good, but we are usually loading it up and I needed a spare anyways, so I thought I'd order the more aggressive prop. With the new prop, we are than going to try some "X-star/G23 weight (like 4-5k)". I will report back on that as well.

atthelake
08-16-2013, 12:26 PM
http://www.wizardlakemarine.com/new-boats/NAUTIQUE/G-series-super-air/list01/2013-nautique-super-air-g23-purple-metallic

I know when I showed the wife a pic of this boat, she couldn't get the smile off her face. Not too hard to figure out her favorite color...

ttu
08-16-2013, 12:36 PM
i don't care how great of a wake the g23 produces it has to be the ugliest boat on the water. we have two of them on our lake and i just don't care for them at all.

Nordicron
08-16-2013, 01:56 PM
i don't care how great of a wake the g23 produces it has to be the ugliest boat on the water. we have two of them on our lake and i just don't care for them at all.

What a statement! So for you wakeboarding is about having a super cool looking boat but the wake isn't real important to you? Forget about the other on the water ergonomics as well so long as people tell you that your boat is cool looking.

WC205
08-16-2013, 02:01 PM
What a statement! So for you wakeboarding is about having a super cool looking boat but the wake isn't real important to you? Forget about the other on the water ergonomics as well so long as people tell you that your boat is cool looking.

I'm all for having a great wake but if I'm spending that type of money on a boat, I better like the looks of it as well.

chriscraftmatt1976
08-16-2013, 03:51 PM
http://www.wizardlakemarine.com/new-boats/NAUTIQUE/G-series-super-air/list01/2013-nautique-super-air-g23-purple-metallic

I know when I showed the wife a pic of this boat, she couldn't get the smile off her face. Not too hard to figure out her favorite color...

Uuuuuugly...

ttu
08-16-2013, 03:55 PM
I'm all for having a great wake but if I'm spending that type of money on a boat, I better like the looks of it as well.

^^^that is what i was referring to. again it's freaking ugly but thows a mean wake.

chriscraftmatt1976
08-16-2013, 04:01 PM
Never been behind one, but all the other nauti wake boats I've been behind sure do! I used to skate behind a buddy's 210, full factory ballast and bags everywhere we have old fit um, and that wake could scare ya. HUGE

Tri4X2
08-16-2013, 05:32 PM

I'll save 40k and buy a 30.... IMHO it looks better and for my riding style throws a better wake for me and my family.

Nick911
08-16-2013, 07:51 PM
I'll save 40k and buy a 30.... IMHO it looks better and for my riding style throws a better wake for me and my family.

40K difference? 20 here in Canada.

Tri4X2
08-16-2013, 08:00 PM
Seems prices are all over the place

scott023
08-16-2013, 11:23 PM

Wake is great, but handling licks and fuel consumption is brutal. Combined with the looks of it, its not for me either.

texasjet
08-16-2013, 11:46 PM

What has anyone experienced with the rubber matting on the inside ?

I will say one of the hottest things on our 2013 x30 is the matting on the platform and the side rails. Like very, very hot in the Texas sun.

At least on the platform and side rails you can throw some water on them, but all over the boat!! Yikes my feet are scared at the thought 🔥🔥🔥

teamcanada
08-17-2013, 12:51 AM
501s, what engine are you running? I gotta get a spare prop too and was thinking of trying that prop. I have the 6.2.

501s
08-17-2013, 12:56 AM
I have the 6.0. I am finding while heavily weighted wakeboarding my RPMs at 22.2mph is like 4100-4200. I hope the new prop will lower this and maintain the speed a little better.

Nick911
08-17-2013, 01:14 AM
Get the ACME 2241.

mcLove
08-17-2013, 01:34 AM
What has anyone experienced with the rubber matting on the inside ?

I will say one of the hottest things on our 2013 x30 is the matting on the platform and the side rails. Like very, very hot in the Texas sun.

At least on the platform and side rails you can throw some water on them, but all over the boat!! Yikes my feet are scared at the thought 🔥🔥🔥

Went to look at one in AZ. Same floor, wasn't bad at all. What is bad is the black tower. If you're arm rubs it it burns, fortunately most of the racks are white.

501s
08-17-2013, 02:18 AM
The Acme 2241 is a 15" diameter and a 14.25 pitch. The Prop I ordered is a 15" diameter and a 12" pitch. This is what Nettles props recommended but he said if it doesn't work I can exchange it. I will post results when I get it.

bcd
08-17-2013, 09:27 AM
I have the 2241 on my X-2. While I think the prop is way better than stock (I get an improved holeshot and didn't really lose any top end), I don't know that it's the best prop option to run 5K of ballast. You're going to want to sacrifice some top end for even better holeshot with that much weight.

Nick911
08-17-2013, 11:52 AM
Oh didn't know you were running 5K. The 2241 was recommended for 3K. Holds tight within .1mph ZeroOff and revs around 3600 I believe at 22mph (I'll confirm that today). A 12 degree pitch wow....wouldn't that make you rev higher at wakeboard speed?

DHPRO
08-17-2013, 01:03 PM
At this point it's looking ever more like Ill be ordering a 2014 X30 in order to get what I want. Taking my time though and hit up couple of boat shows this fall first and order it for spring. No Salt Series boats available really and what I've found new and used have 5.7 or 6.0 and really want the biggest possible. Ill keep watching for a good used boat until then. Thnx for all the help and replys guys.

thamax
08-20-2013, 03:42 PM
best thing to do is get the 7.4 or 6.2 and be happy cause you know its all about how well a boat can accelerate and perform.

jbkriss
08-20-2013, 05:40 PM
Between a new X25 and a new X30, what is the more expensive boat? Seems the consensus for a new X30 is somewhere between 85-90,000 OTD. Anybody know what it is for the X25? Since it's a shorter boat, it makes me think it would be slightly less expensive. Anybody know if that is the case?

scott023
08-20-2013, 05:55 PM
Between a new X25 and a new X30, what is the more expensive boat? Seems the consensus for a new X30 is somewhere between 85-90,000 OTD. Anybody know what it is for the X25? Since it's a shorter boat, it makes me think it would be slightly less expensive. Anybody know if that is the case?

I think the base MSRP is quite similar, but it completely depends how they are optioned.

Tommy1005
08-21-2013, 11:08 AM
most I've seen are in the same ballpark price wise......X10 should be $5000 less optioned the same.

FourFourty
08-21-2013, 12:53 PM
I think the base MSRP is quite similar, but it completely depends how they are optioned.

Base MSRP on the X25 is 5k higher than the X30. Not really sure why.... All option prices are identical for the two.

scott023
08-21-2013, 02:01 PM
Base MSRP on the X25 is 5k higher than the X30. Not really sure why.... All option prices are identical for the two.

What the deuce? That makes no sense, and doesn't jive with the numbers I've seen. The 30 is a newer hull, so why is it less than a boat that is slightly smaller?

Nick911
08-21-2013, 02:07 PM
My quote for a X25 was 3K more than for the X30 same options.

N

FourFourty
08-21-2013, 02:18 PM
What the deuce? That makes no sense, and doesn't jive with the numbers I've seen. The 30 is a newer hull, so why is it less than a boat that is slightly smaller?

No idea. It makes no sense to me either. My dealer had a list of the base MSRPs, and the X25 listed 5k higher. If I remember right, it went as follows- X10 75k, X30 80k, x25 85k..... or something right in that neighborhood.

Aric'sX15
08-21-2013, 02:20 PM
I got a quote for a 13 30 woth the 4 inch screen, no sub or amp, no tower speakers, zft4 and underwater lights for 89k. Had the reversible seat too.

Nordicron
08-21-2013, 02:23 PM
My dealer said that the x-25 is the most popular x series in their lineup so maybe that's why it costs more! But maybe it does require more labor and material to put together than does a 30???

scott023
08-21-2013, 03:04 PM
No idea. It makes no sense to me either. My dealer had a list of the base MSRPs, and the X25 listed 5k higher. If I remember right, it went as follows- X10 75k, X30 80k, x25 85k..... or something right in that neighborhood.

Very interesting. Can't be anything to do with the pickle fork, can it? ;):D

chriscraftmatt1976
08-21-2013, 03:15 PM
Very interesting. Can't be anything to do with the pickle fork, can it? ;):D

Extra fiberglass. At least it doesn't look like a deck boat with a converse logo on the side though...

DHPRO
08-21-2013, 04:48 PM
I got a quote for a 13 30 woth the 4 inch screen, no sub or amp, no tower speakers, zft4 and underwater lights for 89k. Had the reversible seat too.

I drove a new/demo 2013 X30 with <20hrs, sub, amp, heaters, 4" screen, zft4, rev seat, trailer and extra ballast that can be had closer to $80k

ironj32
08-22-2013, 09:59 AM
Thnx!

I can't offer any opinion on the X30, as I've never been in one...can say that they are a sharp looking boat, though. I've owned a G23 for the past 2 seasons. I had the ZR450 last year and now the XS550 engine (undecided on what I'll get next year, as the changed the 450 to a 2:1 tranny with a 17" prop). I won't go too in depth as this is an MC site. All I will say that the wakeboard wake is amazing and, in my opinion, they drive much better than many people lead on. If you have any specific questions about them let me know, either on here or via private message. Regardless of your choice, both are great companies, so it's a win win situation!

scott023
08-22-2013, 03:11 PM
Extra fiberglass. At least it doesn't look like a deck boat with a converse logo on the side though...

LMBO. That's an awesome observation. I hadn't noticed that before.

Aric'sX15
08-22-2013, 03:24 PM
Finally a g23 owner with something rather than speculation. Thank you for not brand bashing!

chriscraftmatt1976
08-22-2013, 04:01 PM
Finally a g23 owner with something rather than speculation. Thank you for not brand bashing!

Agreed. I hate brand bashers. Lots of nice boats out there.

thamax
08-22-2013, 04:14 PM
I can't offer any opinion on the X30, as I've never been in one...can say that they are a sharp looking boat, though. I've owned a G23 for the past 2 seasons. I had the ZR450 last year and now the XS550 engine (undecided on what I'll get next year, as the changed the 450 to a 2:1 tranny with a 17" prop). I won't go too in depth as this is an MC site. All I will say that the wakeboard wake is amazing and, in my opinion, they drive much better than many people lead on. If you have any specific questions about them let me know, either on here or via private message. Regardless of your choice, both are great companies, so it's a win win situation!

Can say how much fuel your g23 burns per an hour? you had both pcm motors and Would be great to hear and difference between surf and wakeboarding gph? all we have seen is rumors i've been around most boats except the G series.

ironj32
08-23-2013, 09:59 AM
Can say how much fuel your g23 burns per an hour? you had both pcm motors and Would be great to hear and difference between surf and wakeboarding gph? all we have seen is rumors i've been around most boats except the G series.

You bet. With the amount of ballast I run (factory plus a lot more) with the XS550 it's about 16 gallons per hour. Just factory ballast your looking at about 12 gph. The ZR450 had pretty similar numbers. It's hard to give an apples to apples comparison though, because I run an extra 1000 pounds more ballast in the 550 than I was able to in the 450.

Another thing to consider is that the only time the boat is moving, is if there is someone riding behind it...most of the time that someone is me, and I fall A LOT, so the boat spends a lot of time accellerating from 0-24 mph. Those who are able to ride without falling too much will definitely see better gas mileage.

Those numbers are all for wakeboarding. We don't do much surfing, and have never surfed without there being a few wakeboard sets mixed in during the day.

Nick911
08-23-2013, 11:46 AM
You bet. With the amount of ballast I run (factory plus a lot more) with the XS550 it's about 16 gallons per hour. Just factory ballast your looking at about 12 gph. The ZR450 had pretty similar numbers. It's hard to give an apples to apples comparison though, because I run an extra 1000 pounds more ballast in the 550 than I was able to in the 450.

Another thing to consider is that the only time the boat is moving, is if there is someone riding behind it...most of the time that someone is me, and I fall A LOT, so the boat spends a lot of time accellerating from 0-24 mph. Those who are able to ride without falling too much will definitely see better gas mileage.

Those numbers are all for wakeboarding. We don't do much surfing, and have never surfed without there being a few wakeboard sets mixed in during the day.

What do you think the total weight of your G23 is with trailer and all? Like a realistic all-in weight? I tow with a GMC Yukon Denali now but I'm assuming I'd need something bigger. I've also heard the 550 HP is a must? Did you need to reprop yours?

ironj32
08-23-2013, 11:59 AM
What do you think the total weight of your G23 is with trailer and all? Like a realistic all-in weight? I tow with a GMC Yukon Denali now but I'm assuming I'd need something bigger. I've also heard the 550 HP is a must? Did you need to reprop yours?

I took mine onto the trucker scales and calculated it to be at about 8200 pounds, with a 100% full gas tank. I have about 400 pounds in gear (lead, anchors, etc.). I was towing with a Chevy 1500 Crew Cab 6.2L with Max Tow package last year (same engine as your Denali). It had plenty of power to tow it(rated for 10700 pounds), it just sucked gas down and shifted constantly. My buddy was towing his G23 with a Yukon XL, but hated the capability of the 5.3L. He just switched into a Yukon XL Denali, and is much happier.

For me, I wanted something that weighed almost as much as what I was towing, and didn't want to have it shift every 30 seconds, so I moved into a Chevy HD Duramax.

If you are running stock ballast and will have less than a total of 2000 pounds extra in your boat, the 450 is just fine. Anything more than that and you'll want to 550. HOWEVER, for 2014 they using a 2:1 tranny and 17" prop with the 450, so I'd anticipate it to perform much better than the 2013's. I reproped my 450 with the Acme 2315. With the 550, I'm just using the stock Acme 2247.

thamax
08-23-2013, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the honest answers and real life experience! I was looking at the 2014 6.2 in the new sierra and like to get one for a run around town truck what mpg u get towing G23? I get 13-14 towing with my Duramax

ironj32
08-23-2013, 04:54 PM
With my 6.2L I was getting 6-7 mpg towing the G. With my 2013 Duramax I'm getting between 10-12. I drive fairly fast (typically 75-79 mph), and am pretty sure if I slowed to 65-69, I think I'd probably see 12-13 mpg. Also, the engine only has 4000 miles on it and supposedly you'll start to see a little improvement in gas milage once you get to around 10k miles.

It looks like the 2014 6.2L is going to be up around 450 lb-ft of torque and will also have active fuel management. Should be a pretty slick setup.

DHPRO
08-23-2013, 05:39 PM
With my 6.2L I was getting 6-7 mpg towing the G. With my 2013 Duramax I'm getting between 10-12. I drive fairly fast (typically 75-79 mph), and am pretty sure if I slowed to 65-69, I think I'd probably see 12-13 mpg. Also, the engine only has 4000 miles on it and supposedly you'll start to see a little improvement in gas milage once you get to around 10k miles.

It looks like the 2014 6.2L is going to be up around 450 lb-ft of torque and will also have active fuel management. Should be a pretty slick setup.

If you put a blower on top of that you'll get another 1-2mpg...same goes for 5.7 or 6.0.

Aric'sX15
08-23-2013, 05:46 PM
Looks like everyone here is jumping ship to the g23...

Nick911
08-23-2013, 07:27 PM
Looks like everyone here is jumping ship to the g23...

I don't think it's a better boat than MC but for me I want a surf system so I can switch sides on the fly. Only options that leaves me are Malibu or Nautique. I might look at the new SAN 230's though with NSS as I'd have to buy a new vehicle just to tow the G. I love my X25 but I don't love switching ballast all the time.

Aric'sX15
08-23-2013, 08:02 PM
I'd take the new 230 for sure!!!

thamax
08-23-2013, 08:19 PM
I got 40,000 miles on 2012 dmax! the mileage will suck for the first 10-15k miles. I get 10-12 towing a 9k trailer so we are not far off mileage wise. My star is around 7k on the trailer you will see ur empty mpg up some but you have to drive like a white person

DHPRO
08-24-2013, 09:42 PM
I got 40,000 miles on 2012 dmax! the mileage will suck for the first 10-15k miles but I get 10-12 towing a 9k trailer so we are not far off mileage i my star is around 7k on the trailer u will see ur empty mpg up some but u have drive like a white person

I've had a Tundra for 5yrs now and botit after I hotrodded my Avv (don't ask it's an addiction for power)...I can tell u I bot the Tundra cause its basically a 2500, slightly underpowered...it tows 10k, mph same/better, and similar payload...we'll see now how it does on longer haul with 5-6k lbs. I do 4-5k miles sledding every winter and its amazing, but that's only 2k lbs

Aric'sX15
08-24-2013, 10:51 PM
tundras do not get the same as diesels!! they get like 10 and diesels get at least 15

DHPRO
08-25-2013, 03:57 PM
tundras do not get the same as diesels!! they get like 10 and diesels get at least 15

Agreed, diesels will always get better mpg, but only 1-2 mpg max for my current driving. I wasnt actually making a statement as much as relating my experience. It costs an extra $6k at least for the engine option, fuel cost generally more or at least as much per gallon...how long will it take to break even on that trade even if it is 30% mpg improvement? (~5yrs assuming u drive 12k miles a yr and pay $4/gal using rough math) Now I haven't consistently towed 6000lbs, so you may end up right....

ironj32
08-26-2013, 08:43 AM
I would think you'd make up the extra costs for the diesel on resale. For me the fuel costs the same, as the 6.2L likes to run on premium.

thamax
08-26-2013, 03:53 PM
you are doing really good if u get 10 mpg out of tundra towing that heavy. better divide the miles driven by gallons u pump back in for a real world # your on board mpg display might be off but anything is possible these day. i tow with diesels and run around with gassers cause they just don't have the torque to climb the roads out west. You can never justify buying a diesel from option cost to overall ownership and $4 diesel never will pen out on paper you own one cause you want to

DHPRO
09-24-2013, 02:58 PM
so...what do you guys think I should be paying for 2014 X30 SS with ZFT4, J&l cans, pro & surf package, heater, fresh wash down, 6.2L, rumble seat & billet windshield?
So far new G23 Coastal loaded is ~$123k (w 450hp), or 2013 with <15hrs for $110 - both with trailer...

dvsone79
09-24-2013, 06:33 PM
I finally got the chance to ride behind a G23, and the wake is phenomenal. I don't love the looks, but for that wake, I would learn to. I'm sure they'd grow on me eventually. Surf wake is also great. No listing, no worrying about packing everyone on one side of the boat, switch sides while riding... Yeah. If only I had the money!

DHPRO
09-25-2013, 11:03 AM
Well...prices arent so far apart frankly...less than 10% so far, and the looks have grown on me as well as the 2800lbs of internal ballast and ability to surf both sides of wake at once! Only thing I dont like about the G is their salt boats only come with 3yr warranty vs MC 5yr. MC "feels" better built, but I just dont have enough real world experience with either to say for sure...

Nick911
09-25-2013, 09:46 PM
You should look at the new 230's.

Aric'sX15
09-25-2013, 10:01 PM
New 230s are slick. But ive only seen wake reviews of the new 210s.
Nick it seems you are jumping ship?

Nick911
09-25-2013, 10:40 PM
New 230s are slick. But ive only seen wake reviews of the new 210s.
Nick it seems you are jumping ship?

Keeping my options open I really want a surf system hoping MC brings one to the table.

I'm still an MC guy through and through though.

erkoehler
09-26-2013, 12:48 AM
G23 port side wake (NSS at 5 & 3, full ballast - 2800lbs), then X30 Goofy (starboard and coffin ballast)....sorry didn't have same side for both

NSS Should be at "0" for fully deployed....if you had it at 5 then it was barely out.

kalamalka
09-26-2013, 12:58 AM
the 210 surf wave was sick.

erkoehler
09-26-2013, 01:06 AM
I've had a g23 demo all summer and I really don't understand the handling complaints. I have not experienced anything like that and frankly I'm impressed as it will power turn!

Fuel usage isn't bad. We do a lot of cruising and surfing and I don't feel its anything out of the norm.

I'm open to answer any questions, but don't want to get in trouble on here either. Also, anybody in Chicago is more than welcome to setup side by side demos with a similar MC. I'd be happy to get on the water.

mikeg205
09-26-2013, 01:13 AM
I've had a g23 demo all summer and I really don't understand the handling complaints. I have not experienced anything like that and frankly I'm impressed as it will power turn!

Fuel usage isn't bad. We do a lot of cruising and surfing and I don't feel its anything out of the norm.

I'm open to answer any questions, but don't want to get in trouble on here either. Also, anybody in Chicago is more than welcome to setup side by side demos with a similar MC. I'd be happy to get on the water.

But you wouldn't come out at 7:00am last week ;) ---

scott023
09-26-2013, 01:18 AM
Erk, how does the winter forecast look? You going to be busy with snow?

mikeg205
09-26-2013, 01:22 AM
We don't get that much snow over the last few years down here.. we wind up having annoyingly chilly winters with nothing to do. Even the sledders have to head north to get good trails and good snow. A dome over Lake Manona in Madison would be cool.. ;)

scott023
09-26-2013, 09:10 AM
Well, that's not a good thing when you're running a snow clearing business.

DHPRO
09-26-2013, 09:11 AM
You should look at the new 230's.

Nice boats, but not what I prefer for the Ocean...looks like Im long a 2014 X30...shud be finalized today if goes to plan.

erkoehler
09-26-2013, 09:25 AM
Well, that's not a good thing when you're running a snow clearing business.

We're setting up to come back bigger and stronger this season. Hopefully the weather cooperates!

scott023
09-26-2013, 12:15 PM
We're setting up to come back bigger and stronger this season. Hopefully the weather cooperates!

That's good to hear Eric. I hope you get as much as you can handle.

erkoehler
09-28-2013, 02:23 PM
Took the boat out and went surfing last night!

DHPRO
09-28-2013, 03:08 PM
Oh man...can't wait!

scott023
09-28-2013, 05:50 PM
Took the boat out and went surfing last night!

Looks sweet Eric.