PDA

View Full Version : Need a little history on the TriStar 190

Bouyhead
08-03-2013, 02:24 PM
Anyone care to share a little knowledge about the TriStar? The boat in the pic is the one I have for sale in the market place. I know they made an open bow, and that crazy looking one with 1/2 a windshield & wrap around seating. I've also seen boats with the passenger seat like a captains chair. So, what was the purpose of the TriStar? Was it a three event boat back in the day? And specifically what was the purpose of the forward mounted fuel tank? Went for a two hour shakedown yesterday and was pretty impressed with the way it road in rough water. I was also pretty impressed with the wake,( visually anyway) as I did not ski. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
08-03-2013, 07:32 PM
The tristar is definitely underrated by mastercraft purist's. It was targeted for families-size groups that still wanted a great wake. I figure the gas tank was under the floor was because of the integrated swim platform, no room aft unlike the prostar. The ski wake is not quite as good as a ps190 but better that a ps205, as far as I know this hull was never AWSA certified. Yes it still can be a rough ride in choppy weather but bc it's wider and has a deeper V it is a better ride than a ps190. The "sport" was a closed bow with prostar style seating, the open bow or walk-thru had 2 captains chairs up front.

Miss Rita
08-04-2013, 12:37 PM
Having just sold an '89 TriStar, and just bought a '92 PS 205, I can comment.
The TriStar was MC's first attempt at a family boat, a nice attempt. The problem is that even with the open bow it has very little storage (unless you find a TriStar 220). If you put any bigger people up front they're going to get wet, the TriStar is bow heavy, probably because of the forward-mounted gas tank. The integrated platform is a styling feature, a product of the '80's, quickly dropped in place of the add-on platforms used since then. It take up a lot of space, since it is an "inboard" design feature.

The TriStar was made for three years, then replaced by the PS 205 in 1992.

My '92 PS 205 has a nicer wake then the TriStar, and is just a tick down from the PS 190. The later versions of the 205 veered further and further away from a dedicated slalom boat, got bigger and more family-orientd. Wake quality suffered as a consequence.

wheelerd
08-05-2013, 02:58 AM
My first MC was a 91 TriStar.

The TriStar was produced from 1987 - 1991 in both the 190 and 220 versions. The 190 was available in both the open-bow and closed bow Sport versions. The Barefoot 190 was a Sport TriStar with a Chevy 454 and little "feet" decals added to the side rear name. (I've attached a brochure.)

The 220 was available in both the regular walk-thru open bow as well as the odd-looking wrap around open bow. (Not sure which of the production years this option was available)

The standard engine was the Ford 351 Windsor mated to a Borg-Warner Velvet Drive tranny. The Chevy 454 big block was an option -- it seems that some boats with this option had the regular 454 and some had the HO 454.

SkiDog
08-05-2013, 01:47 PM
The Tri-Star 220 Walk-around will do a powerturn like NO other boat in history!:D:D:D

TxsRiverRat
08-05-2013, 02:04 PM
The Tri-Star 220 Walk-around will do a powerturn like NO other boat in history!:D:D:D

Not better than an 81 sea ray :D

chriscraftmatt1976
08-05-2013, 02:15 PM

Really? That's kinda cool...

I've never been a big tri star fan. They're ok, but I don't think I'd buy one. They just seem cheaply made to me in comparison to other mc boats.

drschemel
08-05-2013, 03:01 PM
"I've never been a big tri star fan. They're ok, but I don't think I'd buy one. They just seem cheaply made to me in comparison to other mc boats."

Not sure where that idea came from. The finish and fit is idenitcal to a Prostar of the same era. Main diference visually is the integrated ski platform vs the attatched ski deck. I agree that the integrated one takes up too much room from the cockpit but the extra 10" of beam means you can get 2 people comfortably on the observer's seat.
I've enjoyed my Tristar. If I were buying now, I would probably get a v-drive but if entry price is a major concern, you wont do better for under $10k than a well maintained Tristar.

SkiDog
08-05-2013, 03:48 PM
Not better than an 81 sea ray :D

Never been in one of those, but i have spun a 220. It will definitely get your attention!

chriscraftmatt1976
08-05-2013, 04:10 PM
"I've never been a big tri star fan. They're ok, but I don't think I'd buy one. They just seem cheaply made to me in comparison to other mc boats."

Not sure where that idea came from. The finish and fit is idenitcal to a Prostar of the same era. Main diference visually is the integrated ski platform vs the attatched ski deck. I agree that the integrated one takes up too much room from the cockpit but the extra 10" of beam means you can get 2 people comfortably on the observer's seat.
I've enjoyed my Tristar. If I were buying now, I would probably get a v-drive but if entry price is a major concern, you wont do better for under $10k than a well maintained Tristar.

Lol, yeah, the late 80's Prostars weren't so great quality wise either Imo. They look great, I love the hull and windshield, but the fabric didn't last, gauge clusters don't generally age well, and I've not seen many without the back seat all saggy...

chriscraftmatt1976
08-05-2013, 04:11 PM
Never been in one of those, but i have spun a 220. It will definitely get your attention!

Those opens r the only tri stars I ever liked. strange, like me! :)

Traxx822
08-05-2013, 04:41 PM

Be careful with those powerturns, they can blow a head gasket :D :D :D

chriscraftmatt1976
08-05-2013, 05:12 PM
Be careful with those powerturns, they can blow a head gasket :D :D :D

Huh? If that were true our dad's boat would've needed head gaskets constantly!

Or do you mean the wife's head gasket?

Traxx822
08-05-2013, 09:18 PM
Huh? If that were true our dad's boat would've needed head gaskets constantly!

Or do you mean the wife's head gasket?

No, I blew my head gasket couple weeks ago doing powerturns. Soooooo, no more powerturns for me :D

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
08-05-2013, 09:42 PM

Not sure where you got that idea from but on a ts and a ps both have near identical cockpit room, the ts has the swim platform impeding on space and the fuel cell aft on a ps impedes the room take a look at the brochure there are identical, the ts has more side to side room because it's wider 10" wider.

d2jp
08-05-2013, 09:54 PM
Lol, yeah, the late 80's Prostars weren't so great quality wise either Imo. They look great, I love the hull and windshield, but the fabric didn't last, gauge clusters don't generally age well, and I've not seen many without the back seat all saggy...

I going to say that's a pretty broad statement, most of which IMO is incorrect. Fabric didn't last? What exactly are you referring to with 'fabric'? Do you mean 'vinyl'? I would say the quality of vinyl and carpet used by MC in the late 80's was equal to, or better quality than any other boat on the market. 'Gauge Clusters don't generally age well'? Again, compared to what other boat? Even a 1990 is now 24 years old, most MC's I've seen of this era have fully functioning gauges equal to, or better than any other boat of that era. Back seat all saggy? Again, youngest boat is 24 years old and while the back seat isn't too comfortable I will again say they hold up as well as can be expected and better than most anything else.
FWIW, I think late 80s MCs are some of the best quality that MC produced. For weaknesses I'd say that late 80s Prostars are cramped, the narrow beam doesn't afford much extra space. The ride is horrible in rough water...but those are the two negatives I can say about these boats - they excellent quality boats and a great value today. My .02 cents but I think others here will agree with me......

wheelerd
08-06-2013, 12:20 AM
I going to say that's a pretty broad statement, most of which IMO is incorrect. Fabric didn't last? What exactly are you referring to with 'fabric'? Do you mean 'vinyl'? I would say the quality of vinyl and carpet used by MC in the late 80's was equal to, or better quality than any other boat on the market. 'Gauge Clusters don't generally age well'? Again, compared to what other boat? Even a 1990 is now 24 years old, most MC's I've seen of this era have fully functioning gauges equal to, or better than any other boat of that era. Back seat all saggy? Again, youngest boat is 24 years old and while the back seat isn't too comfortable I will again say they hold up as well as can be expected and better than most anything else.
FWIW, I think late 80s MCs are some of the best quality that MC produced. For weaknesses I'd say that late 80s Prostars are cramped, the narrow beam doesn't afford much extra space. The ride is horrible in rough water...but those are the two negatives I can say about these boats - they excellent quality boats and a great value today. My .02 cents but I think others here will agree with me......

True dat.

TxsRiverRat
08-06-2013, 12:22 AM
yall read the fine print? :D

*hot chicks not included for base price

thatsmrmastercraft
08-06-2013, 12:34 AM
yall read the fine print? :D

*hot chicks not included for base price

:rant::rant::rant:

chriscraftmatt1976
08-06-2013, 08:48 AM

Sorry, didn't mean to hate.

Like I said, Imo, that's all. And I'm not comparing to other boats on the market, but other MasterCraft boats, which I've seen a lot of over the years. Any mc or nautique, even the bad years (and they both have some), will still be stand out boats compared to 'any other boat on the market'.

My brother warned me I'd take some heat over that opinion! I'll pipe down now...

:)

chriscraftmatt1976
08-06-2013, 12:22 PM
No, I blew my head gasket couple weeks ago doing powerturns. Soooooo, no more powerturns for me :D

I've never tried to power turn a v drive... Does it come around as well?

wheelerd
08-06-2013, 12:30 PM
In a word . . . NO. Too stern-heavy.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-06-2013, 12:35 PM
In a word . . . NO. Too stern-heavy.

Not to mention the deep v hull doesn't slide like a flat bottom slalom boat.

chriscraftmatt1976
08-06-2013, 02:12 PM
Not to mention the deep v hull doesn't slide like a flat bottom slalom boat.

Man, my 93 does um like a champ. My brothers 85 does um real well, too, but mine just sliiiiides on around.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-06-2013, 04:16 PM
Man, my 93 does um like a champ. My brothers 85 does um real well, too, but mine just sliiiiides on around.

You guys and your "new" boats. http://www.fresh-hope.com/forums/images/smilies/tapping%20foot.gif

chriscraftmatt1976
08-06-2013, 04:36 PM
You guys and your "new" boats. http://www.fresh-hope.com/forums/images/smilies/tapping%20foot.gif

That's new for us... My other inboard is a 1955 so.... :)

thatsmrmastercraft
08-06-2013, 05:53 PM
That's new for us... My other inboard is a 1955 so.... :)

I guess I should have said "new Mastercrafts".....http://www.fresh-hope.com/forums/images/smilies/tapping%20foot.gif

chriscraftmatt1976
08-06-2013, 10:10 PM
Hey baby, there would be no MasterCraft, nautique, or anything without Chris craft, Garwood, lyman, etc...

It's where it all began. Nothing like the purr of a Chris craft str8 6...

mikeg205
08-06-2013, 11:50 PM
Hey baby, there would be no MasterCraft, nautique, or anything without Chris craft, Garwood, lyman, etc...

It's where it all began. Nothing like the purr of a Chris craft str8 6...

You mean this thang?! ;)

lol...

thatsmrmastercraft
08-07-2013, 12:15 AM
You mean this thang?! ;)
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=98989&stc=1&d=1375843822
lol...

http://www.7thgenhonda.com/forum/images/smilies/gtfoslap.gif

sp00ky
08-07-2013, 12:28 AM

You are supposed to let off the gas mid turn which is what spins you around 180.

Traxx822
08-07-2013, 12:30 AM
I've never tried to power turn a v drive... Does it come around as well?

Not as well as a direct drive. It sure can whip em good though. My model also has no kegs or scags or tracking fins whatever people call them so it will slide a bit like a jet ski would.

Not sure about newer models.

Redstorm
08-07-2013, 12:44 AM
Not as well as a direct drive. It sure can whip em good though. My model also has no kegs or scags or tracking fins whatever people call them so it will slide a bit like a jet ski would.

Not sure about newer models.

Can it harm the boat in anyway? Besides blowin a head gasket. I believe his head gasket was ready go with or with out the power turn. I see some people doing it over and over and over again.

mikeg205
08-07-2013, 12:54 AM
my 95 makes a sweet slide even with skegs... takes a little drift action and and then power - otherwise she rides likes she's she's on a rail.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-07-2013, 01:01 AM
Can it harm the boat in anyway? Besides blowin a head gasket. I believe his head gasket was ready go with or with out the power turn. I see some people doing it over and over and over again.

The resort I vacation at in Northern WI had a no start with their Tige. No cranking, but some battery function. I started asking questions about the last time it was out. Said he had done some "vicious" power-turns. Found the negative battery cable pulled out of the terminal. Couldn't tell by looking at it, but as soon as I touched it I knew what had happened. Battery wasn't completely secure and was pulling on the cable. Insulation was intact but the cable was almost disconnected. That explains some battery function but not crank.

mikeg205
08-07-2013, 01:10 AM
The resort I vacation at in Northern WI had a no start with their Tige. No cranking, but some battery function. I started asking questions about the last time it was out. Said he had done some "vicious" power-turns. Found the negative battery cable pulled out of the terminal. Couldn't tell by looking at it, but as soon as I touched it I knew what had happened. Battery wasn't completely secure and was pulling on the cable. Insulation was intact but the cable was almost disconnected. That explains some battery function but not crank.

Peter swoops into save the day...

thatsmrmastercraft
08-07-2013, 01:28 AM
Peter swoops into save the day...

It wasn't like I leaped over a building in a single bound or anything.http://www.7thgenhonda.com/forum/images/smilies/dunno.gif

mzimme
08-07-2013, 01:43 AM
I've got skegs on my v-drive. Never drive power turns though, they mess up my glass for surfin ;)

wheelerd
08-07-2013, 01:52 AM
I've got skegs on my v-drive.

Your sig says you have an 83 S & S. :confused: Or do you have two boats?

madcityskier
08-07-2013, 07:35 AM
I've seen rudders snapped off, mostly on Supras, but not exclusively.

Traxx822
08-07-2013, 11:42 AM

I think there are lots of ways it can hurt it. Maybe my head gasket was on it's way out. But maybe it would have been fine for another few hundred hours. Doing a powerturn or powerslide whatever it's called puts a ton of stress on the boat.

Probably in more places than we can think of. All I know is I made the turn and watched my rpms drop really fast. I knew it watching the tach that I had lost compression. MadCity also mentioned rudder damage. These turns could also be why my rudder needs fixed too and MrMC mentioned battery cable damages. So it can do damage.

wheelerd
08-07-2013, 12:14 PM
While powerturns may be cool to show off to the beach crowd -- yes, I did them back in my S&S days -- I wouldn't do them now. It seems that anything puts added stress on the boat, and the running gear in particular, just isn't smart.

If I remember my HS physics, force increases as the square of the speed. Rudders and tracking fins may be small, but when slammed sideways that sure puts a great deal of strain on the attachment points.

maxpower220
08-07-2013, 04:04 PM
I got to have someone make a new rudder box housing for me after doing power turns. Though the boat was down for a while, it was a neat stainless steel unit custom made. Too bad no one could see it.