PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Pass install help.

Traxx822
08-03-2013, 10:20 AM
Alright so I have hit a snag installing my perfect pass.

In the photo below read step 3. It clearly says to remove my rpm gauge and not my speedometer gauge. I only have one speedo stock and a tach. Not like a prostar with 2 speedo gauges.

I had always thought I had seen people remove the old speedo and in place use the perfect pass. But here the instructions say not to.

What are the benefits and draw backs to not following this direction.

IE: will PP no longer read rpm's? or what is the deal. I don't want to have 2 speedo's where my analoge one never works right and is basically a filler gauge at this point.

Other draw back to removing tach like the book says is that I lose my hours meter (PP has one that starts at 0)

Thanks for the help guys.

Traxx822
08-03-2013, 10:21 AM
Let me straighten that out there :D

Rossterman
08-03-2013, 10:31 AM
I'd remove the speedo(i did this on my prostar since it had 2 speedos) as having the hour meter is important and the PP always give the speed (and i usually look at this instead of the speedo. The PP guage can display rpm ( none of the guage functions are rendered inoperable by installing the PP btw). Many boats have separate hour meters (including early M/Cs) so they probably reccomend taking out the tach in most cases

André
08-03-2013, 10:44 AM
Yep,i would remove speedo and keep the tach.

Traxx822
08-03-2013, 10:45 AM
I would too but the directions say otherwise. I'd just like to hear from someone who has done it.

Rossterman, does your PP still read out RPM's. Andre' is that how yours is done?

André
08-03-2013, 10:57 AM
Perfect Pass ALWAYS read rpm even when not in control and so is my tach.
Mine is a Prostar so i had 2 speedos.I installed PP on the right speedo location.
IMO,i would never remove factory tach...Lose the speedo!
Any other problems with your install:confused:

Traxx822
08-03-2013, 11:05 AM
No everything works great but my installer followed the directions to the letter and pulled the tach. I complained and then he showed me the book. I mean, can't argue with that.

LaRue
08-03-2013, 11:22 AM
Exact same thing happened to me. I put tach back in and removed speedo. Works like a charm. I want hour meter in boat and PP actually taps into tach. Not exactly sure why directions read that way but be assured, speedo out, tach in.

Traxx822
08-03-2013, 11:23 AM
Exact same thing happened to me. I put tach back in and removed speedo. Works like a charm. I want hour meter in boat and PP actually taps into tach. Not exactly sure why directions read that way but be assured, speedo out, tach in.

Cool, thanks for the reassurance. I will be changing it out. Till then, a few free hours on the boat :D

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

bturner2
08-04-2013, 07:59 PM
Removing the tach is nuts. Agree with everyone else lose the speedo and get your tach back.

Did you go with StarGazer? Best speedo you'll ever own if you did.....

Traxx822
08-04-2013, 08:14 PM
Removing the tach is nuts. Agree with everyone else lose the speedo and get your tach back.

Did you go with StarGazer? Best speedo you'll ever own if you did.....

Yes I did. StarGazer wakeboarding edition.

I love it so far. My favorite upgrade to date

Ski-me
08-05-2013, 11:12 AM
Definitely keep your tach! I've never seen one in place of tach with 2 speedos....I've always seen one of the speedo's replaced.

My sister-in-law had PP installed in her cobalt last year by a dealer and he also just replaced the speedo. So even the installer knew not to remove the tach. Strange.....

Whalenjf
08-05-2013, 12:28 PM
I just did this install in my Maristar 225VRS Friday night. We removed the speedo as well since it only worked about 10% of the time. I agree about best investment to date!

cwarndahl
08-05-2013, 01:57 PM
HAte to thread jack, but how hard is the install? other then the confusion of the tach speedo? i have a 01 x-10 one speedo, and tach of course. is it really a do it yourself install or is there some tricky next level stuff involved. i consider my self a modest repair person, mainly tune up, plugs wires, oil changes, fix random stuff. anything major and im off to the shop? thanks

98Prostar205
08-05-2013, 02:29 PM
HAte to thread jack, but how hard is the install? other then the confusion of the tach speedo? i have a 01 x-10 one speedo, and tach of course. is it really a do it yourself install or is there some tricky next level stuff involved. i consider my self a modest repair person, mainly tune up, plugs wires, oil changes, fix random stuff. anything major and im off to the shop? thanks

It really isn't difficult at all. I did this over the winter on my 205. The hardest part was routing the cable from the module to the motor. I had a fish tape that I used for this and it went pretty smoothly. Shouldn't be much different for a v-drive.

Traxx822
08-05-2013, 02:32 PM

No worries. My need for the thread is over.

It seemed really easy. My installer said everything was real easy and took him less than an hour.

He said only tougher thing was getting the throttle cable adjusted correctly. But he said it wasn't too difficult.

Ski-me
08-05-2013, 02:52 PM

I installed it myself too. It was really pretty easy. The only difficult thing is finding a good place to locate the servo motor and throttle cable so everything is smooth without too much of a bend for easy operation.

Mine is RPM base only (waterski) so I did not drill a hole in my hull for the paddlewheel (6.5ng version).

If you go with stargazer, I think you don't even have to drill a hole anymore but I could be wrong. The paddlewheel function is for slow speed readings (aka wakeboarding).

I'm no expert but it was the BEST upgrade on our boat. It just takes one large unknown out of the equation (driver speed adjustments).

TOO-TALL
08-05-2013, 08:54 PM
Traxx.... glad you got it figured out..
I installed PP ON my last I/O.Hardest part for me was drilling into the hull measure 5x drill once.

Traxx822
08-05-2013, 08:58 PM
Traxx.... glad you got it figured out..
I installed PP ON my last I/O.Hardest part for me was drilling into the hull measure 5x drill once.

Yeah, still haven't switched it yet. Lol. It's where the tact was for now. Have that wake the world event tomorrow and will really need it. I'll switch it after.

Also I got the new stargazer. Garmin receiver on the dash. No drilling required :D

AZDave
08-05-2013, 09:57 PM
If you hit any more snags call Perfect Pass, they helped me on mine.