PDA

View Full Version : Surf fins

AlbertaSurfer
08-03-2013, 12:32 AM
Hokay...

This is an open call to all wake surfers out there... maybe more specific to the surfers out there who play behind boats between ocean sessions because you're as landlocked as I am.

What are you using for fins?

I'm an FCS guy, and run FCS fins on all 3 of my ocean boards (7' mini mal to 5'11" Shortboard) and I surf behind boats on surf skates. Right now, I'm using a Catch Surf 'The Super One' which is FCS as well, but previous to that I was on a EPX Placebo surfskate that wore Futures. Future had these crazy fins called Vector Foils that actually created speed down the line, (do wakes have a "line"?). This thing was fast! I even played with it the ocean once and it was faster than my regular groveller.

My question is... is there anyone out there running FCS fins on a wake surfer that are faster than the junk fins that boards are shipped with? I find most of these fins to slow for the ocean waves I surf, but wakes are much mushier and haven't found anything in FCS yet that help with speed.

Here's a pic of the vectors... note the deflection in the outside fins

kalamalka
08-03-2013, 01:04 AM
Yep, I run them on my 5-4 board. Dual set up ads speed, just like the ocean. I like them for Ollie's ect.

Stefan
08-03-2013, 03:39 AM
We like the Futures on our bias boards (http://www.bias-wakesurf.com/), dual fins, new HS3 (http://www.futuresfins.com/fin-detail.php?id=233&largeimg=vectors_haydensmall_full.jpg) on a 4'5", she loves them, and F4 (http://www.futuresfins.com/fin-detail.php?id=116&largeimg=blackstix_f4_full.jpg) on a 4'10"

Traxx822
08-03-2013, 08:29 AM
Alberta I'm using futures glass F4 on a bigger board and it is nice.

I have the new stretch quad fins with 400 rears and those are super nice. You would only order the fronts and ride with 2 fins.

Fcs has nice fins. so does futures. I have Fcs on my ocean board too.

I'm not partial one way or the other.

Go to surfboard wharehouse and sign up for their Finatic program and try out as many dif fins as you like.

What do you want. Loose or tight with a lot of drive?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

AlbertaSurfer
08-03-2013, 08:48 AM
Tight and quick. I like to be able to catch up when I need to.

Traxx822
08-03-2013, 09:06 AM
Try out the F series for futures. Either the F4 or the F6.

http://www.thesurfboardwarehouse.com/p-1489-future-fins-f6-brthruster-quad-5-finbr-white-composite.aspx

These are more traditional. I have this set in F4's but would recommend the F6 after trying the F4 myself. Either go with the composite or the white composite. I think the glass ones might hold a little too tight.

As for recovery that is going to have to do with the shape of your board more than the fins. Although a stiffer fin will straighten you out and hold better thus giving you more time to recover.

A longer and flatter board would be faster than a shorter board with a lot of nose rocker.

AlbertaSurfer
08-03-2013, 11:51 AM
We like the Futures on our bias boards (http://www.bias-wakesurf.com/), dual fins, new HS3 (http://www.futuresfins.com/fin-detail.php?id=233&largeimg=vectors_haydensmall_full.jpg) on a 4'5", she loves them, and F4 (http://www.futuresfins.com/fin-detail.php?id=116&largeimg=blackstix_f4_full.jpg) on a 4'10"

Man, those Bias boards are nice! Pretty pricey, considering shipping to Canada, but I'd like to try one of those some day.

AlbertaSurfer
08-03-2013, 11:55 AM
Traxx

That finatic program is such an awesome idea, but not available to us Canadians. I'm just gonna get a hold of a shop and see if they have demos or something. I'd like to try a bunch of different stuff.

Stefan
08-03-2013, 04:59 PM
Man, those Bias boards are nice! Pretty pricey, considering shipping to Canada, but I'd like to try one of those some day.

Yeah they run great, my girl doesn't want to let go of her 4'5"
...the shaper/developer 'Reto' a recent european wakesurf champion usually has a set of test boards with him when on major wakesurf competitions like wakesurf tour stops in Europe or Chill&Ride, no idea about a chance to test one in canada though 😐

uplander
08-03-2013, 10:56 PM
I had no idea fins would make a difference, would these work on Inland Surfer boards

AlbertaSurfer
08-04-2013, 02:57 AM
I had no idea fins would make a difference, would these work on Inland Surfer boards

No, Inland Surfer has their own fins.

FCS and Future are the fins used on 90+% of ocean surfboards. There are a few wakesurf companies that have adapted these fin systems in their line, but most make their own. With wake surfing, there aren't many options in fins, or even boards for that matter, but Ocean Surfing is a different story. Board dimensions and fin setups are night and day different from each other, and are dependent on wave type as well. Wakesurf waves are always the same... mushy and slow. Fun mind you... but slow.

Fins can create speed in surfing. You can use the force of the wave to push on the fins and create speed down the line. There is of course a fine line between creating speed, and creating drag, especially in wakesurfing. A wakesurf wave doesn't have the same wave energy as a wave coming from miles off the coast, meeting the slope of the shore. In the ocean, the wave is pushing you, in the lake, you're riding in the green to follow the boat, and have to create your own speed. Having a single fin to keep you straight works fine here, but having proper shaped fins, in a quad or thruster type setup. (quad would be ideal for Ocean waves of the same mushy, small size as a wake), will actually create speed.

Hey... some people on this forum have an OCD about red gatorade or bright bathing suits in their boats... I have a surf gear one ;)

AlbertaSurfer
08-04-2013, 02:58 AM
Yeah they run great, my girl doesn't want to let go of her 4'5"
...the shaper/developer 'Reto' a recent european wakesurf champion usually has a set of test boards with him when on major wakesurf competitions like wakesurf tour stops in Europe or Chill&Ride, no idea about a chance to test one in canada though 😐

Well, if you ever get bored of yours and want to move it... I'm interested!

Traxx822
08-04-2013, 08:32 AM
No, Inland Surfer has their own fins.

FCS and Future are the fins used on 90+% of ocean surfboards. There are a few wakesurf companies that have adapted these fin systems in their line, but most make their own. With wake surfing, there aren't many options in fins, or even boards for that matter, but Ocean Surfing is a different story. Board dimensions and fin setups are night and day different from each other, and are dependent on wave type as well. Wakesurf waves are always the same... mushy and slow. Fun mind you... but slow.

Fins can create speed in surfing. You can use the force of the wave to push on the fins and create speed down the line. There is of course a fine line between creating speed, and creating drag, especially in wakesurfing. A wakesurf wave doesn't have the same wave energy as a wave coming from miles off the coast, meeting the slope of the shore. In the ocean, the wave is pushing you, in the lake, you're riding in the green to follow the boat, and have to create your own speed. Having a single fin to keep you straight works fine here, but having proper shaped fins, in a quad or thruster type setup. (quad would be ideal for Ocean waves of the same mushy, small size as a wake), will actually create speed.

Hey... some people on this forum have an OCD about red gatorade or bright bathing suits in their boats... I have a surf gear one ;)

I like everything your saying buddy, except that the wave pushes. It does not push at all. The wave lifts you.

AlbertaSurfer
08-04-2013, 08:43 AM
I dunno buddy, in Hawaii they tend to push right on the back of my head until I fall off my board and get held under for two or three waves ;)

But yeah, lift is a better descriptive word for sure.

Traxx822
08-04-2013, 11:10 AM
I dunno buddy, in Hawaii they tend to push right on the back of my head until I fall off my board and get held under for two or three waves ;)

But yeah, lift is a better descriptive word for sure.

I was held under for about 10 minutes once. Barely grabbing a gasp of air every couple minutes. Thought I was going to die.

I sure felt pushed around that time :)

uplander
08-04-2013, 11:19 PM
thanks for info on the fins, I would love to try the Ocean at some point.

AlbertaSurfer
08-05-2013, 08:01 PM
I was held under for about 10 minutes once. Barely grabbing a gasp of air every couple minutes. Thought I was going to die.

I sure felt pushed around that time :)

Yep, been there.

I went over once, at a spot called Gas Chambers, about 200yds up the beach from Pipeline. Got caught on the inside of some 8-10 footers that came up behind us and went with one. Buddy was on the beach with his camera and I'm gone for close to 45 seconds on the video. If I ever get stuck in a washing machine, I'll know what to do... Rip was so strong it took me a half hour to paddle back in, getting rocked the whole way. Never been so exhausted in my life! Kept it pretty mellow the rest of that trip.

Where do you surf at, being land locked like I am?

Traxx822
08-05-2013, 08:13 PM
Yep, been there.

I went over once, at a spot called Gas Chambers, about 200yds up the beach from Pipeline. Got caught on the inside of some 8-10 footers that came up behind us and went with one. Buddy was on the beach with his camera and I'm gone for close to 45 seconds on the video. If I ever get stuck in a washing machine, I'll know what to do... Rip was so strong it took me a half hour to paddle back in, getting rocked the whole way. Never been so exhausted in my life! Kept it pretty mellow the rest of that trip.

Where do you surf at, being land locked like I am?

I'm a traveling surfer. I live in Chicago but have clients in Texas, San Francisco and my brother in Norfolk not far from Ocean City MD. I bought my first board at secret spot in kitty hawk NC. Rode my first waves there.

The swell in TX is hit or miss. But usually around Galveston or surf side.

Santa Cruz is probably my favorite but dam you have to be careful of the cliffs and rocks on shore. That's where I got stuffed was there. Thought I was a dead man.

Never surfed Hawaii. I want to go to the north shore so bad. Hit pipeline, sunset beach all that. Just never been yet.

I heard the locals are kinda tough on the tourists. Is that true?

AlbertaSurfer
08-05-2013, 08:39 PM
I'm a traveling surfer. I live in Chicago but have clients in Texas, San Francisco and my brother in Norfolk not far from Ocean City MD. I bought my first board at secret spot in kitty hawk NC. Rode my first waves there.

The swell in TX is hit or miss. But usually around Galveston or surf side.

Santa Cruz is probably my favorite but dam you have to be careful of the cliffs and rocks on shore. That's where I got stuffed was there. Thought I was a dead man.

Never surfed Hawaii. I want to go to the north shore so bad. Hit pipeline, sunset beach all that. Just never been yet.

I heard the locals are kinda tough on the tourists. Is that true?

Yeah, it can be bad.

The people causing problems on the North Shore are from mostly outside the surf world. There's a lot of drugs and crime, and they jump on the "no tourism" bandwagon. You even get vibed at the grocery store. Honolulu is different, but staying in Haleiwa or anywhere near the North Shore is different. People don't like seeing you. Pipe is Pipe, and you aren't welcome there. There are strict rules in the water. Locals go first/ get good sets. Haole locals can get scraps. Pro's like Bruce Irons, Jamie O'Brien and John John can take whatever they want, as long as any of the Rothman's aren't in the water... But it's heavy, really heavy. I've been to Oahu twice, and never nutted up to it. I stared at it, and just walked up the beach. It's terrifying, yet awesome. I love Hawaii, but if you go, plan to spend a few days on Oahu, then move to Maui or Kauai, it's much nicer.

Australia is great, and South America, and the people are much nicer there. Hawaii is best for fishing :)