PDA

View Full Version : Vacation

stevo137
10-13-2005, 08:59 PM
We really enjoyed Cancun in February. Went there twice this year and I even skied behind an MC at Waterski Cancun.
This was StevoJr. enjoying that beautiful beach...
The kids really enjoyed it and would rather go there instead of a theme park...
Any others have a great vacation place to share?

east tx skier
10-13-2005, 09:00 PM
!Viva Mexico! Looks fantastico!

MarkP
10-13-2005, 09:03 PM
Boy, I love that blue water!

LakePirate
10-13-2005, 09:07 PM
Stevo - I am headed to Cancun in a week. How was WaterSki Cancun? Any places you recommend?

erkoehler
10-13-2005, 09:11 PM
I enjoy going up to our cabins in Northern WI just as much as I do going someplace else. I avoid going to theme parks, water parks, places like that and would rather save the day and go North.

stevo137
10-13-2005, 09:20 PM
Stevo - I am headed to Cancun in a week. How was WaterSki Cancun? Any places you recommend?
Waterski Cancun was very nice. They have a few slalom courses in the lagoon and you can always find good water.
Our most memorable time was snorkeling and the jungle tour but we enjoyed downtown as well.
If you have time, I would highly recommend taking the trip to Cozumel to snorkel or dive. (We didn't go there). My brother in law has been diving there for many years and it is one of the best diving spots in the world. If you don't have time, the Cancun snorkeling was fine. (Take at least two waterproof Fuji cameras).
Tell me where you are staying and what you like to do. Snorkel, dive, golf, tour the ruins, dining, shopping?

LakePirate
10-13-2005, 09:29 PM
We are staying at the Marriott Casa Grande, we have 2 (count them) 2 weddings to go to while down there. Not taking the golf clubs. The wife wants to see the ruins and we are always looking for a good place to dine. I am going to try and drink all of the tecate in Mexico while sitting on the beach, but if it is not too much money I will pack up the ski and snag a bouy or two while I am down there.

stevo137
10-13-2005, 09:29 PM
Here is another activity for you.
Parasailing!
This was our view from the Cancun Palace.

stevo137
10-13-2005, 09:52 PM
We are staying at the Marriott Casa Grande, we have 2 (count them) 2 weddings to go to while down there. Not taking the golf clubs. The wife wants to see the ruins and we are always looking for a good place to dine. I am going to try and drink all of the tecate in Mexico while sitting on the beach, but if it is not too much money I will pack up the ski and snag a bouy or two while I am down there.
Here is a good site for the ruins.
http://www.locogringo.com/research/ruins.html
Keep in mind that Tulum is the best quick ruin trip from Cancun.
Chichen Itza is the one to see but you will leave early in the morning and return late at night. It is about 4 hours each way by bus...
As far as the skiing goes, you won't need to drag your ski along. Scott has good ski that you can use as long as you don't mind double boot.
Here is the link. Just send an email and tell him the day that you would like to ski and he will give you a cell number to call to secure the time.
http://waterskicancun.com/

LakePirate
10-13-2005, 09:55 PM
Sweet deal. We are renting a jeep. (can't stand to be without transportation) Will have to check out Tulum. Been rocking the double boots for years.

Thanks for the info Stevo.

stevo137
10-13-2005, 09:59 PM
Sweet deal. We are renting a jeep. (can't stand to be without transportation) Will have to check out Tulum. Been rocking the double boots for years.

I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND RENTING ANY VEHICLE IN CANCUN!!! :noface:
Take the buses which run all day and night for about a buck or take taxis which cost quite a bit more.
If you choose to do so anyway, good luck and don't say that you were not warned!

LakePirate
10-13-2005, 10:01 PM
Why not? It couldn't much worse than the jeep they tried to give me in Aruba that had 4 different tires in a variety of sizes on it.

stevo137
10-13-2005, 10:14 PM
Why not? It couldn't much worse than the jeep they tried to give me in Aruba that had 4 different tires in a variety of sizes on it.
Here ya go Amigo!
Your choice but don't say that you haven't been warned!
http://www.cancunsouth.com/get_drive_cops.html

LakePirate
10-13-2005, 10:21 PM
Holy Crap.

parks_jr_55
10-13-2005, 10:27 PM
Cancun is FUN.

We stayed at the Sun Palace on year and the Moon Palace the other year.
Spring Break is pretty wild. But defiantly a good time. I am looking forward to going back.

bigmac
10-13-2005, 10:33 PM
Cozumel is excellent for diving, but since they started docking cruise ships there a few years ago it's otherwise pretty much gone downhill, just a big tourist trap. North side of the island is where the clothing-optional beaches and resorts are. Playa del Carmen is nice, and there are some nice places to stay on Isla Mujeres (also a very relaxed dress code). Take a day trip out there one day.

Xcaret is also pretty interesting - bus trip south of Playa del Carmen.

stevo137
10-13-2005, 10:34 PM
Cancun is FUN.

We stayed at the Sun Palace on year and the Moon Palace the other year.
Spring Break is pretty wild. But defiantly a good time. I am looking forward to going back.
Waterski Cancun is directly across the street from the Sun Palace.
I'm starting to feel like a travel agent! :rolleyes:

bigmac
10-13-2005, 10:41 PM

If you know the ropes and speak spanish, driving the countryside to the south is relatively safe. If you don't, you're asking for trouble. Local police and even the federales have a particular genius for spotting norteamericano newbie tourists.

Generally, renting a vehicle is pointless in Cancun...there's no place to go, no place to park, and the busses are a couple of pesos and one comes by every couple of minutes. And there are daily excursions to every conceivable point of interest within driving distance.

parks_jr_55
10-13-2005, 10:41 PM
Waterski Cancun is directly across the street from the Sun Palace.
I'm starting to feel like a travel agent! :rolleyes:

I think i said this in another thread but I wanted to check it out, but i figured that their definition of waterskiing would be quite different and I was living the swimsuit thread by the pool.

stevo137
10-13-2005, 10:42 PM
Cozumel is excellent for diving, but since they started docking cruise ships there a few years ago it's otherwise pretty much gone downhill, just a big tourist trap. North side of the island is where the clothing-optional beaches and resorts are. Playa del Carmen is nice, and there are some nice places to stay on Isla Mujeres (also a very relaxed dress code). Take a day trip out there one day.

Xcaret is also pretty interesting - bus trip south of Playa del Carmen.
Mac, isn't Playa del Carmen where you take the ferry to Cozumel?

erkoehler
10-13-2005, 10:44 PM

Yes, there is a ferry there. It took almost an hour when i was there, that was a couple of years ago.

bigmac
10-13-2005, 10:47 PM

Yes. It's kind of a fun little town to shop in. A friend of mine bought a Rolex watch there. It came in a plastic bag The guy started at $300 and my buddy ended up paying him $80. I swear, when he showed it to me I looked it over meticulously. It was beautiful, and I was certain it was a real Rolex...right up until the day the winding stem fell out.

shepherd
10-13-2005, 11:38 PM
Each time we've been to Cozumel, we've always rented a car or scooter to escape the cruise ship crowds and go to the other side of the island...

Yes, we came on a cruise ship each time. :o

I like cruises because I just enjoy being out at sea and watching the waves go by from my bedroom.

Cloaked
10-14-2005, 07:28 AM
Stevo - I am headed to Cancun in a week. How was WaterSki Cancun? Any places you recommend?Just be sure and take an extended bus ride with the city transportation... It's an experience within itself.. I like Cancun. Snorkling is a must...

SteveO
10-14-2005, 07:42 AM
You guys are getting me stoked about my upcoming trip to Canun. We leave the 2nd of November and are staying at the Riu Palace. Going down for the big 40 with the better half and some friends. One of my goals for some time was to ski on my birthday, so it sounds like that is not going to be difficult. The rates at Waterski Cancun look good for getting in a few sets. Stevo137, did you make reservations or just show up? http://waterskicancun.com/

stevo137
10-14-2005, 08:10 AM
You guys are getting me stoked about my upcoming trip to Canun. We leave the 2nd of November and are staying at the Riu Palace. Going down for the big 40 with the better half and some friends. One of my goals for some time was to ski on my birthday, so it sounds like that is not going to be difficult. The rates at Waterski Cancun look good for getting in a few sets. Stevo137, did you make reservations or just show up? http://waterskicancun.com/
SteveO,
Just send an email requesting the day or days that you want to ski.
I would do it now.
They are pretty flexible as to when you can ski as long as they are not busy. Scott will reply back and give you his cell number so that you can call if anything changes in your schedule.
Just take the bus and ask the driver to stop at the Sun Palace that is directly across the street. It's about 6 or 7 pesos or they will take a US dollar.
There is a course in the cove that is very close to where they keep the boats.
This is a pic phone shot that I took. He has two Barefoot 190's and a Supra Launch.
Enjoy! Get some pics! ;)

stevo137
10-22-2005, 12:12 PM
SteveO,
It doesn't look good.
There might not be much left of Cancun or Cozumel after Wilma... :noface:

erkoehler
10-22-2005, 12:56 PM
SteveO,
Just send an email requesting the day or days that you want to ski.
I would do it now.
They are pretty flexible as to when you can ski as long as they are not busy. Scott will reply back and give you his cell number so that you can call if anything changes in your schedule.
Just take the bus and ask the driver to stop at the Sun Palace that is directly across the street. It's about 6 or 7 pesos or they will take a US dollar.
There is a course in the cove that is very close to where they keep the boats.
This is a pic phone shot that I took. He has two Barefoot 190's and a Supra Launch.
Enjoy! Get some pics! ;)
Those barefoot 190's have only 150hp on them :noface:

I hope cancun survives this hurricane.... :eek: