PDA

View Full Version : Mastercraft In Virginia

Boarded boys
08-02-2013, 02:53 PM
Interesting news from the mastercraft service representative for Virginia today. He confirmed that as of now, Virginia has only one Mastercraft dealer. That dealer and service center is located in Smith Mountain Lake. Eons from the rivers and lakes east of I-81. I have an 2011 X45 that has a starting issue and is still under warranty. I have been told it needs to go to a Mastercraft dealer so that Illmore will step up with their warranty. Beware all!!!!! That means I have to drive 4+ hours to have my boat serviced-each way!!!!!!. I was considering purchasing a new XStar, but how can I even consider it when Mastercraft can't find a dealer in the central /Eastern areas of the state? My boat has been out and down for 3 weeks while the Chesapeake dealer where I purchased the boat is closing it doors, and Matsercraft can't help with an alternative. A nightmare!!!!:mad:

Kweisner
08-02-2013, 04:02 PM
Given that you bought in good faith that service would be reasonably available under warranty, I think you could make a case to MCHQ for taking it to a mechanic/dealer that's mutually agreeable/closer. They would perform the warranty work and then MC would reimburse them, just as they would a dealer. Perhaps there are other boat brands that also use Ilmor powerplants--if so, maybe one of their dealers would be closer. Otherwise, I'd certainly be asking for some compensation for having to haul the boat that for for warranty service. Their situation changed. . . not yours. Seems like you shouldn't be penalized for that.

ryfly161
08-02-2013, 07:53 PM
Ski boats unlimited is closing? That was a pretty big dealership and some good guys they fixed my boat multiple times while I was stationed up there.

Jerseydave
08-02-2013, 10:45 PM
If a dealer closes its doors, it may not be MC's fault or Illmor's fault either. But you need warranty work and both MC and Illmor should provide that for you. I believe marine engine companies for larger boats have dockside service personel (Cummins, CAT, etc.) that come to you mostly because the boats are just too big to transport. Perhaps Illmor has that type of service too? You should check into that.

gotjag941
08-02-2013, 10:56 PM
As Dave said most manufactures have a service tech in the field for out of the out of the ordinary situations not sure on Ilmor or MC as I'm a dealer for neither but call MCHQ get your territory sales rep name tell him your issue he will have a resolution whether its covering your time to bring it or meeting halfway they won't want to lose your business etc but things happen in business as we all know

d2jp
08-03-2013, 12:02 AM
Interesting news from the mastercraft service representative for Virginia today. He confirmed that as of now, Virginia has only one Mastercraft dealer. That dealer and service center is located in Smith Mountain Lake. Eons from the rivers and lakes east of I-81. I have an 2011 X45 that has a starting issue and is still under warranty. I have been told it needs to go to a Mastercraft dealer so that Illmore will step up with their warranty. Beware all!!!!! That means I have to drive 4+ hours to have my boat serviced-each way!!!!!!. I was considering purchasing a new XStar, but how can I even consider it when Mastercraft can't find a dealer in the central /Eastern areas of the state? My boat has been out and down for 3 weeks while the Chesapeake dealer where I purchased the boat is closing it doors, and Matsercraft can't help with an alternative. A nightmare!!!!:mad:

If you are in Richmond, SML is not 4+ hours away. Maybe 2.5~3 at the most. Granted, that might not be as convenient as something located in Richmond but if they could provide a loaner boat for the day, and/or accomadations for a night, SML is a beautiful lake.

Boarded boys
08-03-2013, 08:06 AM
I have spoken at length with Mastercraft. I believe the issue relates to the fact that the dealership is up in the air, and the dealer who is now the owner of the former dealership in Chesapeake wants MC. They haven't come to terms yet.

Boarded boys
08-03-2013, 08:09 AM
Actually the mapquest gives me 3.2 hours. I know the highways from here to there. Many lights and small towns. No way I do it with this monster behind me in less than four hours. I know it is a beautiful spot. When I contacted them they were very nice. Offered to get it in and checked out right away. I am just hoping for another solution.

Boarded boys
08-03-2013, 08:10 AM
No response from the Illmor guys other than they think it is a Mastercfrat wiring issue.

willg
08-03-2013, 07:33 PM
I live in the dc area and go to wye river watersports in queenstown md (on the eastern shore). It might not be as far as SML, and I haven't found any other dealers closer.

d2jp
08-03-2013, 07:35 PM
Actually the mapquest gives me 3.2 hours. I know the highways from here to there. Many lights and small towns. No way I do it with this monster behind me in less than four hours. I know it is a beautiful spot. When I contacted them they were very nice. Offered to get it in and checked out right away. I am just hoping for another solution.

I thought the dealer was on the Lynchburg/Bedford side of the lake, which it's not. Good to hear they were at least nice to deal with though.

aswile
08-04-2013, 10:52 AM
I didn't think that Wye River watersports had service, only sales at this point. I live in Delaware and now I have no viable option for a Mastercraft dealer period- I have Indmar so I can go to the Malibu dealer in Chestertown, MD for service if I have to.

AFX-15
08-04-2013, 11:37 PM
I have used the dealer at Smith Mtn Lake. They are my local dealer and pretty good. I have only had to use them for some minor issues (replace dashboard switch and the door latch on the walkway door) but they were prompt and courteous.

Boarded boys
08-05-2013, 07:17 AM
It is official. I got a ride for the X45 to the Charlotte Mastercraft dealer. Long way to go to get a starter and kill switch installed. I hope the ignition issue will be resolved too. At least the Illmor work will be done. It will cost me $1,000 round trip.!!!! not exactly what Mastercraft and the dealer at Ski Boats Unlimited said would be the "easy" warranty coverage and service work, when I purchased the boat. I hope Mastercraft will get a new dealership up and running somewhere closer to Richmond. It will be too late to help me with this, but I think the boat is the best on the market and I am not willing to change brands. Big lesson learned.Mastercraft is in the boat selling business-not the happy boat owner business. I appreciate the messages from those of you who work differently. Wish you were here in Richmond.