PDA

View Full Version : Ignition issues

Boarded boys
08-02-2013, 08:10 AM
I have a 2011 X45. It has been in the shop for three weeks. The tech says that the starter is shot. I told him replace it. He said the lanyard kill switch is faulty. I told him replace it. He says it appears there is an issue with the wiring harness for the engine. He is not an Illmor shop, and Illmor is not responding to his requests for information and a possible diagnosis-still under warranty.
I am wondering if anyone out there has had an engine wiring harness issue, or relay issue for this boat. I am trying to trouble shoot this. Also, if the wiring harness on the engine needs to be replaced- how much is part and labor to do this. Not sure if it is an Illmor warranty item or not. At this point it doesn't matter.

jafo9
08-02-2013, 11:42 AM
Seems like a "young" boat to have an issue with the harness. What are your symptoms?

JimN
08-02-2013, 12:22 PM
I have a 2011 X45. It has been in the shop for three weeks. The tech says that the starter is shot. I told him replace it. He said the lanyard kill switch is faulty. I told him replace it. He says it appears there is an issue with the wiring harness for the engine. He is not an Illmor shop, and Illmor is not responding to his requests for information and a possible diagnosis-still under warranty.
I am wondering if anyone out there has had an engine wiring harness issue, or relay issue for this boat. I am trying to trouble shoot this. Also, if the wiring harness on the engine needs to be replaced- how much is part and labor to do this. Not sure if it is an Illmor warranty item or not. At this point it doesn't matter.

Under warranty? In the words of Moe Sizlak, "Not no mo', it ain't!". Manufacturers don't allow non-authorized shops to work on their products and lack of knowledge is the reason. Where is your dealer?

I seriously doubt the kill switch is bad after only a couple of years unless the battery voltage was really low and someone kept trying to start the engine. This didn't happen, right?

Engine harnesses don't go bad this fast and you need to find a shop that knows what they're doing. This shouldn't be very different from working on a regular boat or car engine and the biggest thing I have seen that gives mechanics fits is their lack of electrical knowledge and experience. This is easy to spot- they replace a lot of parts before they find the problems and it takes forever.

Boarded boys
08-02-2013, 03:44 PM
Looks like when they installed a starter and the lanyard switch bypass, the starter would turn, and all of the other electronics are operable, but the ignition is not even trying to fire the engine.

Rossterman
08-02-2013, 05:11 PM
If it's still under warranty why haven't you taken it to M/C shop? Are you meaning engine only is under warranty from ilmore? In either case you will get zero reimbursement if you haven't got a work authorization from ilmor or M/C before you started.

Jibber
08-03-2013, 02:21 PM
I have an similar problem. I have a 2012 x2 with the Ilmor 6.0l. Since the beginning i have the boat it has starting issues. From 10 starts a day, 2 or 3 i only get an clicking sound and the motor doesn´t fire up. I thought maybe the batterie is bad and replaced it with an stronger one. But same problem. But i´m thinking, everytime i try starting in the combined position of the baterrie switch i have no problem and it always starts. What problem could it be? Maybe a bad connection with the wire from the starting-batterie? Anyting else where i can look at?