PDA

View Full Version : Oil-bath wheel bearings

ejkjell
08-01-2013, 08:24 PM
How often does the fluid in the oil-bath wheel bearing assembly need to be flushed or replaced?

I've moved my 2004 Prostar 197 boat and trailer cross country 4 times and I haven't had any issues and the fluid has remained at a constant level since I bought it. Love this trailer!

vogelm1
08-01-2013, 09:30 PM
Annually would be a reasonable change interval, just in case the oil is contaminated with water. If there is a significant amount of water in the hub, the oil will become milky in color.

93Prostar190
08-01-2013, 10:44 PM
Annually ?

Yikes got to go !

uplander
08-01-2013, 11:36 PM
pretty simple to drain, I have one giving me trouble so I actually drained and refilled minutes before leaving for vacation. make sure you find out the proper weight of oil to use for your hubs. mine takes straight 50W motor oil.

If using trailer considerable miles I would do annually

bturner2
08-02-2013, 11:23 AM
I didn't do mine for the first 5 years but I only trailer about 5 times a year. If the oil is clear (not milky) you're probably OK. Annually is probably MCOCD unless you're putting some serious miles on or you're getting water in the hubs in which case you have another problem that needs to be addressed. That being said changing it annually certainly isn't going to hurt anything either. Personally I've gone to flushing the brake fluid annually (which is probably MCOCD) and pulling apart the calipers and changing the hub oil every other season.