PDA

View Full Version : Help! Need machine screw for water pump cover!

psbudz
08-01-2013, 02:18 PM
Well,

I went and did a stupid thing and broke the head off of one of the screws when putting the cover back on for the water pump.

It's a brass 5/16' hex head w/ slot, fine thread, 5/16" long.

Where in Columbus, OH can I find these? And yes I've already been to Home Depot. This is a boat, not a house.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-01-2013, 02:24 PM
You need to find a real hardware store.

psbudz
08-01-2013, 02:28 PM
Never mind. Called Discount Inboard Marine. About $2 each. Be nice if it gets here by Saturday.

Real hardware stores? Didn't they go the way of record shops?

lukedeuce
08-01-2013, 02:31 PM
You need to find a real hardware store.

Yep, go find ace hardware, true value, or do it best. Have a whole aisle dedicated to screws, bolts, fasteners.

If that's too far of a drive, head to a Fastenal, white cap, or a construction supply shop. The will certainly have what you need

lukedeuce
08-01-2013, 02:32 PM
A hardware store will be pennies on the dollar compared to ski dim. And u can pick it up today

blakehardesty
08-01-2013, 03:02 PM
A hardware store will be pennies on the dollar compared to ski dim. And u can pick it up today

x2. Pennies on the dollar is right!!

JRW160
08-01-2013, 03:13 PM
I've had good luck at fastenal. Sometimes the people working there don't know how to find stuff, but if you can find a part number online, they can usually get it for you pretty quickly.

76S&S
08-01-2013, 04:28 PM
I've had good luck at fastenal. Sometimes the people working there don't know how to find stuff, but if you can find a part number online, they can usually get it for you pretty quickly.

We deal with Fastenal a bunch where I work and have had great service. Just be careful if they have to order onsies or twosies for you. I needed two specialty stainless bolts that together cost just under $6. They told me that the bolts would be in the next morning. Total bill $22 - they charged me $16 to get them there overnight, which I didn't ask for.:mad:

gweaver
08-02-2013, 05:31 PM
I replaced the brass screws with socket head stainless cap screws. Easy to find and they won't rust.
G