PDA

View Full Version : X80 ballast pumps

Corey Graham
08-01-2013, 12:23 AM
Hello Team Talk,

I am new to the forum, as well as new to Mastercraft boats. We just purchased an X-80 equipped with twin Crusader 6.0's rated at 375hp each. We spent the last few days on the boat and I have realized my ballast system is inoperable. The boat has port and starboard hard tanks @ 500lbs each. I am new to tow boats and have no idea where to begin trouble shooting. Where are the tanks? Pumps? Relays? Sorry for so many newbie questions. On a plus side, we are in love with our boat. We are coming from a Formula 280ss with twin 5.7efis so the twin engine setup in the 80 is perfect for us!

snork
08-01-2013, 08:16 AM
if its a true X80 the tanks are below the floor
what about the system don't work
pumps turn on but don't fill
switch pumps on but don't hear pumps

Corey Graham
08-01-2013, 11:56 AM
The switch turns on, but there is no noise. I can hear a very faint hum for a second almost as if a valve is opening, then nothing. Thanks for any help. The boat has X80 in factory applied fashion on the side so I assume it's an X80. Don't know how else to tell.

tr6coug
08-01-2013, 03:10 PM
You should hear the pumps run pretty plainly. But, if the impellers are completely shot, then they will run for a few seconds and turn off. Do the red lights on the switches stay on or blink?

snork
08-01-2013, 05:06 PM
locate the pumps and remove the impeller cover replace the old impellers with the new green ones from wakemakers
X80 will have everything billet aluminum but SS will have Stainless windshield frame

Corey Graham
08-01-2013, 11:16 PM
The red lights on the switches stay on constant. I will try and find the pumps and see if I can check on the impellers. Thanks again.

uplander
08-01-2013, 11:41 PM
should look something like this, take the three screws out pull old impeller out and place new green one in. do not drop the screw in bilge, they are hard to find.

Stefan
08-02-2013, 02:02 AM
do not drop the screw in bilge, they are hard to find.

especially because they're brass, so you can't get them out with a magnet....

SJ.
08-02-2013, 09:04 AM
If the space allows it (and it probably does), just take out two of the screws very carefully.
Loosen the third one and then simply swivel the cover plate out of your way, leaving it attached to the pump. This makes it so there is less stuff to grab and one less screw per pump you might drop. Pull out the old impeller with some needle nose pliers and then fit the new green one in. I just did this on my boat, it's pretty easy to do.

Corey Graham
08-02-2013, 08:04 PM
I'm going to take a look at this tomorrow. Can someone advise me where the pumps may be located? I keep the boat on a hoist, so getting beneath the boat will be a challenge.

Thanks everyone.

snork
08-02-2013, 08:21 PM
I don't know much about the X80 but I'd start looking at behind the carpeted panel between the transom and motors
if you can hear them running you should be able to narrow it down

drbriney
07-21-2014, 02:05 PM
Hey Corey,
I have the same boat but a 2007. Just bought it a month ago and having same issues. Did this fix the problem? Also, I had a issue with the bilge pumps not coming on automatically, but still worked when switched to manual. Have you had any issues with that?
Jeff

CRAIG1212
09-18-2014, 08:03 PM
Hey Corey,
I have the same boat but a 2007. Just bought it a month ago and having same issues. Did this fix the problem? Also, I had a issue with the bilge pumps not coming on automatically, but still worked when switched to manual. Have you had any issues with that?
Jeff
dr I have the same 07. Boat has 3 bilge pumps and you have probably figured out the float has stuck, water in the hull pushes up the float and triggers it to come on. Remove all 3 and clean them out. I replaced 2, they are very inexpensive and easy to do yourself.