PDA

View Full Version : Rebuild carb

svxwilson
08-01-2013, 12:37 AM
I am going to rebuild my carb on my 351. It is a holly 4160 I believe, Although some help identifieng which one I have would be helpful. Never rebuilt a carb, but willing to give it a try. Looking for suggestions, links, or anything helpful.
Thank you in advance.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-01-2013, 12:45 AM
Go to the Holley site to look up the correct renew kit by using the carb number stamped on your carb. http://www.holley.com/types/Trick%20kit,%20Fast%20Kit,%20Renew%20&%20Rebuild%20Kits.asp

Search amazon for best pricing. Anything over $25 shipping from an amazon warehouse has free shipping.

catamount
08-01-2013, 08:36 AM
I rebuilt my carb earlier this year and made this thread which you might find useful.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=54417&highlight=holley

The main suggestion I have is to add the backfire prevention if your carb does not have it (it probably doesn't). The backfire prevention kit is about $15 at Amazon. Actually, I have a 2nd backfire kit I would sell you for $7 shipped if you wanted it. Shoot me a PM if so.

You may also want to pick up a clutch driver for removing your secondary metering plate. Anyway, it's all in the thread above. Good luck and I'll be happy to help with any questions you have once you begin.

Jeff_in_NY
08-01-2013, 09:56 AM
I rebuilt my carb earlier this year and made this thread which you might find useful.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=54417&highlight=holley

The main suggestion I have is to add the backfire prevention if your carb does not have it (it probably doesn't). The backfire prevention kit is about $15 at Amazon. Actually, I have a 2nd backfire kit I would sell you for $7 shipped if you wanted it. Shoot me a PM if so.

You may also want to pick up a clutch driver for removing your secondary metering plate. Anyway, it's all in the thread above. Good luck and I'll be happy to help with any questions you have once you begin.

I referred to Catamount's thread when I rebuilt mine. I bought the backfire kit on eBay for around $12 shipped. He's right about the clutch driver too; I got one at Sears. Get the parts washer that Catamount suggested at Harbor Freight too!
Take your time and make sure you have a clean environment. I thought it was a rewarding process.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-01-2013, 11:51 AM
Just a few random thoughts to pass along:

I would also watch a bunch of youtube videos to familiarize yourself with the process.
Be 100% sure to remove all gaskets and o-rings prior to soaking your carb. If you don't, some passages won't get the benefit of being cleaned.
Do not soak the throttle body. You can clean this sufficiently without and soaking will damage the shaft seals.
Do not remove the throttle or choke blades...it's not necessary unless you have serious wear problems.
Take lots of pictures as you go. You will likely need to rely on these for re-assembly.
The instructions are quite simple, but follow them to the letter. Read them thoroughly prior to starting your rebuild, and go through them while your parts are soaking.
Re-assemble in a clean environment where you can locate dropped parts.

This is a pretty easy project, but expect it to take longer than it should the first time. Once you have done this successfully, you will be able to do another in less than half the time. Take your time and be patient.