PDA

View Full Version : Tower speaker options

KxCorky
07-31-2013, 06:37 PM
Need opinions on tower speakers..

I have a set of JL Audio speakers on there now, but its not loud enough to hear behind the boat. Should I add another pair or sell the ones I have and buy something better..

If so what should I buy in either case? Getting ready to put all new speakers in the boat along with new AMP's and Sub too.. The original owner went crazy with wiring.. there are wires that lead to no where and an old car alarm system, and cross overs. I think the AMP's have to be 10 years old.. Its a mess..

Also going to put a good battery switch in there. The one now is pretty janky..

Thanks!

Ghychex2
07-31-2013, 09:44 PM
Wetsounds, they are horn driven and project the sound alot better than Jl's

dsword
08-01-2013, 12:17 PM
Another option is exile audio. A little cheaper than Wetsounds and some people like their sound better.

David Sword

swatguy
08-01-2013, 11:07 PM
The above two are great options. Or you could possibly keep the cans you have and drop Bullet Hlcd's in there. Very similar to the older style Wetsounds Pro 80's.
http://www.bulletspeakers.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=17

Hands down though the Rev 8's, Rev10's , or Rev 410's are the smoothest sounding HLCD's on the market and their customer service is next to none.

mzimme
08-01-2013, 11:35 PM
Krypt is another option. Not nearly as high quality, but MUCH MUCH MUCH cheaper than the options listed here.

Double D
08-02-2013, 08:33 AM
I picked a few of these up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AERIAL-BULLET-WAKEBOARD-TOWER-SPEAKERS-POLK-POLISHED-ALUMINUM-2-SPEAKERS-CANS-/310716777658?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item485829c4ba

AlbertaSurfer
08-02-2013, 10:31 AM
Check out these boys. Good ol' Alberta boys who've made a name for themselves in the industry. They make nice stuff.

http://www.roswellwakeair.com/

Kimper
08-02-2013, 11:35 AM
Wetsounds!

Icons sound amazing at surf distance! Rev8/10 if more wakeboarding skiing.

swatguy
08-02-2013, 11:37 AM
I find it very odd Rusty is the pro advertising the Rosewell speaker line and there is a new MC in the photos. You can't even get Rosewell gear on an MC from the factory. Yes I know Wetsounds also isn't factory , but they are not using MC boats to push their line.

Rosewell was a factory option on Nautique and Supra. Weird. I would be curious how that new Neptune sounds. Just not crazy on the unfinished grille look. Like tge led stuff but it looks like an unfinished product with a bare cone showing.

KxCorky
08-02-2013, 11:55 AM
I picked a few of these up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AERIAL-BULLET-WAKEBOARD-TOWER-SPEAKERS-POLK-POLISHED-ALUMINUM-2-SPEAKERS-CANS-/310716777658?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item485829c4ba

How did you like these?

Traxx822
08-02-2013, 12:03 PM
How did you like these?

Those are junk.

You will hear a lot of wetsounds love on this board. Price is a big competitor. What JL speakers and what size do you have up there now.

Maybe just add another set of cheaper 6.5" JL's and decent amp and call it a day.

Judging by the link you posted price is an issue for you. And another set of cheap JL's from Aerial would be another $350 plus an amp and switch etc. You are looking at $1000 minimum for anything decent.

deminimis
08-02-2013, 12:28 PM
Lather up because you are on a slippery slope my friend. Love the Rev10s. A pair of those and a syn4 to power them and you'll be smiling. Earmark and Wet Sounds cust service is excellent too.

AlbertaSurfer
08-02-2013, 12:33 PM
I find it very odd Rusty is the pro advertising the Rosewell speaker line and there is a new MC in the photos. You can't even get Rosewell gear on an MC from the factory. Yes I know Wetsounds also isn't factory , but they are not using MC boats to push their line.

Rosewell was a factory option on Nautique and Supra. Weird. I would be curious how that new Neptune sounds. Just not crazy on the unfinished grille look. Like tge led stuff but it looks like an unfinished product with a bare cone showing.

Rusty rides for MasterCraft, so it's likely his boat. The Roswell boys have a SAN 230 around here to floss their gear. Apparently, they signed a deal with Malibu for their marine audio.

MLA
08-02-2013, 12:37 PM
How did you like these?

What size JL's are you currently running? Knowing this and its easy to make an accurate comparison.

This in the link are a traditional 6.5" 2-way coaxial in-boat/car door speaker with an ok rms rating. They are not at all designed to project @ wake-board range, and could very well be a step backwards from what you currently have.

swatguy
08-02-2013, 12:38 PM
Here's the thing. You posted and are concerned with getting sound to the rider. This is not something that can be accomplished by "going the cheap route". I have worked my way up the line. Started with 6.5 coax MB quarts back in the day. Could barely get a glimpse of sound. Upped to a 6.5 HLCD speaker. Similar to Wetsounds pro 60. That was actually the best upgrade. The sound quality volume wise was huge compared to that of the regular 6.5 coax speaker. You could make out the music ok. It was mostly treble and highs, but powered with a nice 175watts rms to them you could hear music for sure.

I then won a pair of Wetsounds pro 80's. These are 8inch HLCD speakers. The sounds again were boosted back to the rider having an 8 inch driver with a bigger horn flare. I kept my original amp that was 175 watts rms and the sound was much more clear back there with the new Pro 80's. Volume wise I didn't experience a huge shift from the Pro 60's (there still was a little) but sound wise I could hear a bit more of the mids from the bigger driver.

I now own the Rev 8's from Wetsounds ( I kind of secretly wish I woulda just opted for the 10's but my wife's and kids ears inside the boat are the limiting factor. The 10's I thought would be a little too much for them inside the cockpit. My problem is 3 of they guys I ride with all have the 10's and when we head out and crank on them the end of the line sound from the 10's kill it and are noticeably different than my 8's. Even with my 8's on the same Syn 4 amp as their 10's.

I know that was a really long winded post of rambling a bit, but I wanted to give you some insight. Throwing 300 bucks at another set if 6.5 coax speakers to get sound to your rider is like lighting 300.00 on fire. It will not do what you want them to. If you wanted a bit more volume around the boat for rafting or surfing then I would say go ahead. However you want sound projected to the rider.

The best scenario to do that is find either a pair of used pro 80's, Exile xm 7's, or Bullet hollowpoint 770's and be done.

The most cost effective option is to find a set of Bullet Hollowpoint or Krypt Audio 6.5 HLCD speakers and drop them in you existing pods. Don't even consider wasting money on another set of coax speakers.

monsterwake
08-02-2013, 12:56 PM
I agree with swatguy. I had the older model SKYLON 175's. 6.5" HLCD. Pretty awesome for the price and blew away my old boats coax Polks. I lost one of my SKYLON's on the highway and still have 1. I will buy another pair of them as soon as I can. Then I will be trying to sell this 1. Hopefully I can find someone who needs it.

KxCorky
08-02-2013, 01:06 PM
Well that is why I am asking the pro's here. I really don't know enough about it to know if Im buying crap or wasting money. These say Polk on them. Here's a few pics. Not sure how to tell what size they are.. The issue isnt' with the money so much as I want to do new speakers through out the boat and new amps. So its going to get exspensive anyways.

The AMPs in here now are at least 10 years old and there are cross over's every where. I would really be better off hooking a tow strap to the wiring in there and hitting the skinny peddle on the right and starting over..

http://i41.tinypic.com/11173nb.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/59w9l.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/fycy1d.jpg

Thanks for the help.

dsword
08-02-2013, 01:10 PM
If you want to hear how the newer wakeboard speakers project then try playing this youtube video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bdJAmonPWw&feature=player_embedded
If you wakesurf this will be too loud so Exile has what they call the throttle box that will cut down the amount of power going to the horns which will make surfing bearable.

David Sword

monsterwake
08-02-2013, 05:01 PM
Those are the same speakers I had on my old boat but I had 2 pair in double fiberglass canisters. They were an Ariel brand canister. Don't get me wrong, they sounded awesome but they did not project the sound far. Standing around the boat at the beach was great. Never did hear them while wakeboarding.

KxCorky
08-02-2013, 05:05 PM
Exact same thing here. Well looks like im going to have to pony up the money and just do it right.. The boat doesn't run without music and beer lol!

deminimis
08-02-2013, 05:09 PM
Exact same thing here. Well looks like im going to have to pony up the money and just do it right.. The boat doesn't run without music and beer lol!

Now yur get'n it.

http://konabrewingco.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/5/files/2013/05/KO_LBL_Pour-with-Bottle_web_204X3771.png

clrussell
08-12-2013, 05:09 PM
Bump with a question. How well do the jl 7.7s do? Or am I better off saving and getting wetsounds? Right now I have a pair of alpine marine 6.5s on my pylon driven by a Memphis amp and it sounds pretty good at the end of the rope. But I'm wanting more for next year I think. I want something in a can and something I can add to the next boat when it comes around.

gotjag941
08-12-2013, 05:38 PM
Bump with a question. How well do the jl 7.7s do? Or am I better off saving and getting wetsounds? Right now I have a pair of alpine marine 6.5s on my pylon driven by a Memphis amp and it sounds pretty good at the end of the rope. But I'm wanting more for next year I think. I want something in a can and something I can add to the next boat when it comes around.

Don't waste your money on the 7.7s, you can't compare them to any compression driver on the market whether its wet sounds, audio formz, exile, skylon