PDA

View Full Version : Which Wake is Smaller?

BrianM
10-13-2005, 03:24 PM
Which wake is smaller?

I decided to put it to the peanut gallery.:D

All in good fun. :moon:

Leroy
10-13-2005, 03:27 PM
where are the pix?
edit now see.

east tx skier
10-13-2005, 03:37 PM
I'd like to formally remind all the 205 owners out there that Brian referred to our boats as pontoon boats. Don't let that influence your votes.

Hey, Brian. Where's the wakeboarder in your picture? :D

/205 Skiboat veterans for truth unite

ski_king
10-13-2005, 03:44 PM
Left: What wake?
Right: Bigger
http://www.smiley-channel.de/grafiken/smiley/unsortiert/smiley-channel.de_unsortiert006.gif

MarkP
10-13-2005, 04:06 PM
I'd like to formally remind all the 205 owners out there that Brian referred to our boats as pontoon boats. Don't let that influence your votes.

Hey, Brian. Where's the wakeboarder in your picture? :D

/205 Skiboat veterans for truth uniteLOLhttp://deephousepage.com/smilies/itsokay.gif

Hh, Looks good..

btmag
10-13-2005, 04:08 PM
I've got the sweetest pontoon I've ever seen!! :D

Footin
10-13-2005, 04:09 PM
Doug, I'm here for ya my brotha!

east tx skier
10-13-2005, 04:10 PM
Since the "gnat $h|t" thing is my material, I'm adding it to my total. :)

btmag
10-13-2005, 04:22 PM
east tx did you notice which one the sun shined on the brightest?

Ryan
10-13-2005, 05:33 PM
Left, based on these two pictures. Eastie's right hand turn, and the sun make it look more turbulant than it probably is. Plus, the course bouys are surely diffusing Brian's wake... :uglyhamme

SKI*MC
10-13-2005, 06:23 PM
i think the one on the right is smaller, it seems more washy, no spacific form, but the left seems more like a wake that has a definate shape... bigger

BriEOD
10-13-2005, 06:58 PM
The twin screw X-80 has smaller wake than both of those! :uglyhamme

MarkP
10-13-2005, 07:01 PM
east tx did you notice which one the sun shined on the brightest?
Well NOW!!! That settles it!!

east tx skier
10-13-2005, 07:17 PM
For the sake of comparison, heres one we took where the sun don't shine. Same acme prop, driver and observer (total crew weight 340 lbs), 3/4 full tank of gas. First picture is a 30 gallon full tank of gas.

dog paw
10-13-2005, 07:17 PM
Was Moses driving the boat on the right? I think I can see the bottom! :purplaugh

east tx skier
10-13-2005, 07:28 PM
From the looks of the water we ski on, it's a wonder I haven't passed BrianM skiing.

X-45
10-13-2005, 08:13 PM
I like the one on the left. But I ski behind an X-45, so what do I know.

:woohoo: :woohoo:

Hoosier Bob
10-13-2005, 09:41 PM
I would not kick either one out of my lake! I guess I would have to pick the one that offers me a pull! ;) Does the 205 have more eye candy aboard to be viewed by the skier? :D
PS BriEOD, That game killed me! 5 TO's and 18 pen's. Shula fan since the age of 4 or 5. Baltimore res!

btmag
10-13-2005, 10:46 PM
I would not kick either one out of my lake! I guess I would have to pick the one that offers me a pull! ;) Does the 205 have more eye candy aboard to be viewed by the skier? :D
PS BriEOD, That game killed me! 5 TO's and 18 pen's. Shula fan since the age of 4 or 5. Baltimore res!

I second that!! I've never turned down a pull from a MC!! :D

erkoehler
10-13-2005, 10:48 PM
Remember what they say, a bad day at the lake is still better than a good day at work.

Mag_Red
10-13-2005, 11:02 PM
:eek: I could surf behind the one on the LEFT :D

shepherd
10-13-2005, 11:27 PM
I skiied behind a 205 (a '93) for the first time tonight. I'm not an expert, but the wake didn't seem any bigger than my 190, i.e., it was NICE!

Ric
10-15-2005, 11:12 AM
Can't be sure til eastie posts an in-the-course pic.

I'm going to need a pull behind each of them to say for certain fellas.
Whoever provides the most drinks to the judge before the ruling... Well, he's the winner

BrianM
10-15-2005, 12:41 PM
I'm going to need a pull behind each of them to say for certain fellas.
Whoever provides the most drinks to the judge before the ruling... Well, he's the winner

You are only a five hour ride from me:steering: .
Skiing tomorrow at 11am. Drinks are on me. :friday:

east tx skier
10-16-2005, 08:22 PM
Ric, we picked up a 1/2 barrel (15.5 gallon) keg of Dos Equis on Friday. It's in the kegerator at about 38 degrees, only a few steps from the boat. I just need 10 minutes notice so I can get you a pint glass.

PointTaken
10-17-2005, 10:07 AM
My favorite qualifiers that are used to explain why their wake looks like its from a barge:

1) full tank of gas: I forgot it was 'take a picture of the wake day' or else I would have put just enough gas in it to: get it off the trailer, get it up to speed, and then take a picture right before the engine cut off.

2) observer in the boat: "Everyone out of the boat, I want to take a picture of the wake". "But shouldn't you take a picture of the wake in actual use, with an observer and pulling a skier", say the people in the boat. "Get overboard before I hit you in the head with your 72" ski, you moron!, its picture day"

3) ripples in the water: It was amazing, just at the instant I took the picture, two of the biggest fish you ever saw each simultaneously jumped to the side of boat, adding to the size of my wake. "Wow! that is amazing. Where is that in the picture? " It's there, but you can't see it thru the big spray my boat is throwing out to the sides". Oh....

Ric
10-17-2005, 10:12 AM
aahhh I can feel the love for the judge from the contestants already!

east tx skier
10-17-2005, 10:20 AM
My favorite qualifiers that are used to explain why their wake looks like its from a barge:

1) full tank of gas: I forgot it was 'take a picture of the wake day' or else I would have put just enough gas in it to: get it off the trailer, get it up to speed, and then take a picture right before the engine cut off.

2) observer in the boat: "Everyone out of the boat, I want to take a picture of the wake". "But shouldn't you take a picture of the wake in actual use, with an observer and pulling a skier", say the people in the boat. "Get overboard before I hit you in the head with your 72" ski, you moron!, its picture day"

3) ripples in the water: It was amazing, just at the instant I took the picture, two of the biggest fish you ever saw each simultaneously jumped to the side of boat, adding to the size of my wake. "Wow! that is amazing. Where is that in the picture? " It's there, but you can't see it thru the big spray my boat is throwing out to the sides". Oh....

The tank of gas was the only qualifier. Brian is running 1/4 tank by the way. With a tank in the back and 8 lbs per gallon, why wouldn't you mention it. The observer thing is just one of those reference point. Doesn't affect the size of the wake, but does affect the shape. I'd want an observer in the boat for optimum wake. If it wasn't important, you wouldn't have to dial it in to the perfect pass. Prop and boat speed are important for this reason, too. No reason to take this too seriously though. I'm reminded that Brian and I were just having some fun with one another. What's really funny is that neither brian nor I has apparently skied behind both hulls we're comparing. :toast:

Now, let's talk horsepower. Had they gotten over 200 hp by 91? :moon: :D

PointTaken
10-17-2005, 10:25 AM
The tank of gas was the only qualifier. Brian is running 1/4 tank by the way. The observer thing is just one of those factors. If it wasn't, you wouldn't have to dial it in to the perfect pass. Prop and boat speed are important for this reason, too.

Now, let's talk horsepower. Had they gotten over 200 hp by 91? :moon:
A little sensistive this AM east :) I don't remember if Brian qualified his and then posted another picture to justify...hmmmm... :D

BTW, just back from Columbus last night, we decided to help you guys with your computer ranking.

east tx skier
10-17-2005, 10:31 AM
Nah, just sleep deprived. I thought I'd posted that other picture so that the lighting would be similar. I think the first picture looks better to be honest.

I think these wakes are easier to judge with a skier in the shot. Hard to tell what the line lengths are without the skier.

Oh, and just a little background on why there was no skier in these pictures. First picture was taken in March and I'm the only one in my crew that will get in the water in March. My wife is the only driver that will pull me. Reason for the picture was I'd just gotten my new acme and wanted to compare the wake to the old OJ legend (supposedly the acme made for a flatter wake). Second picture was from the prop test I did back in June. With all the variables (you can't imagine until you try to do an on water comparison of something), having a skier behind the boat for wake pics, base lines, cavitation tests, etc. would've been a headache-and-a-half. Rest assured, we don't stop for scenery shots when somebody wants to ski.

Plus, I don't ski at 36 (even free skiing) ever since I started abusing myself trying to get through the course. Slowing down enough so I could actually round a buoy or two was two drastic a change. :)

But this is the wake at 32 mph. Still pretty soft (would be softer if I'd stay on edge).

If you've got some pictures with skier on wake, don't hesitate to post them.

P.S. Thanks for the effort on Saturday. If only Notre Dame could've tried just a little harder. ;)

PointTaken
10-17-2005, 10:40 AM
All in good fun. What was that saying you guys use 'gnat s**t' :) Also, I can actually get to 241hp if I have the observer use his ski to paddle.

east tx skier
10-17-2005, 10:50 AM
"Comparing ___ is like picking gnat $hit out of pepper."

Why isn't he skiing? ;)

Mild threadjack, has anyone ever tried to paddle a boat with a slalom ski. It sucks big time. Had to paddle a stalled I/O this way once.

ski_king
10-17-2005, 10:54 AM
Mild threadjack, has anyone ever tried to paddle a boat with a slalom ski. It sucks big time. Had to paddle a stalled I/O this way once.
I had to do it this summer when my driver wound a rope arond the prop.
Ended up paddelling with a new Mapple and Syncro, I could have cried. :cry:

By the way, I am not sure which photo is from which boat.
I assume the wake on the left is from BrianM's 190 and the one on the right is from somebody’s partybarge?

east tx skier
10-17-2005, 11:41 AM
Actually, they're both from the same boat. Photoshop is an amazing thing, eh! :D

Don't you just love sociological experiments?

mcprostar197
05-16-2006, 10:18 PM
I don't see a wake on the left.....

Hoosier Bob
05-16-2006, 10:30 PM
Nothing like a bunch of guys hangin' out on a chatroom discussing whose is smaller? I can't speak for all 1993 190 owners but mine is so small you won't even feel it! ;)

meggsy1221@aol.com
05-17-2006, 01:02 PM
Pontoon Boats !!

Ouch I thought we we're supposed to be nice to each other here. (just kidding) I'm taking mine out this weekend for the first one of the season see if the wake is flatter in Cananadian waters. Again just kidding the ice has only been off a couple of weeks thank god for dry suits and beer.

Bert
05-18-2006, 12:24 AM
They both look like like crap and larger than a real ski machine (CB PS 190) would leave