PDA

View Full Version : prostar 209 trailer

franciscolalas
07-31-2013, 11:14 AM
Hi,
I'planning to fabricate a trailer for my 209 and I need one or two dimensions to start.
Can anyone be so kind to measure the width of the main frame (on the rear, from the center of the main left tube to the center onf the main right tube).
Thanks

thatsmrmastercraft
07-31-2013, 11:25 AM
This sounds like a very interesting project. Please post pics as you progress.

franciscolalas
07-31-2013, 12:21 PM
Will do! Already have one axle from a van, first I will need to make it wider, let's wait and see if someone can provide the width od the main frame.

The Youngster
07-31-2013, 12:59 PM
Center to center is 70.5" in the rear. Let me know if you need any more measurements.

-Clayton

franciscolalas
07-31-2013, 06:38 PM
Thanks Clayton!

I will start to make some drawings and let you know if I need more measures. Your's single or double axle? Thanks
Francisco

The Youngster
07-31-2013, 11:33 PM
I have a single axle. Have traveled many long distances with it and have had zero problems. I also like the mobility of the single axle when not attached to my truck. It really makes turning the trailer a lot easier.

franciscolalas
08-01-2013, 02:21 AM
For me it's also important the mobility of the trailer when not attached to the car, so I will also go for single axle. I'm thinking about using 3"x1,5" tube section for the frame, is that what you have on yours? Thanks

franciscolalas
08-28-2013, 06:59 AM
Work has begun! Once again, thanks to Clayton for providing the measurements!

Burbon66
08-28-2013, 08:28 AM
Great project, good luck. My X9 is sitting on a factory dual axle modified to Australian width regs. So if there is any measurements I can help with, please let me know.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-28-2013, 10:17 AM
Looks like you have used the welder once or twice before. Nice work. I wish you were closer so I could make you a deal on wheels and tires.

franciscolalas
09-17-2013, 04:51 PM
Updates from another day at the workshop!

thatsmrmastercraft, only if I was closer, but the Atlantic is a long way to cross!

Should I go for 205x65R16 ou 215x65R16?

Burbon66, thanks for your help, I think I have all the measurements I need.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-17-2013, 05:04 PM
Updates from another day at the workshop!

thatsmrmastercraft, only if I was closer, but the Atlantic is a long way to cross!

Should I go for 205x65R16 ou 215x65R16?

Burbon66, thanks for your help, I think I have all the measurements I need.

That is really taking shape. I would go with the 215 for the extra capacity.

And I could have sold you fenders and LED lights too. ;)

franciscolalas
09-17-2013, 05:29 PM
I'm tempted!

Maybe you can send them to a friend of mine that lives in NJ. Do you have pics of the fenders?

thatsmrmastercraft
09-17-2013, 06:49 PM
This fender has a 1" radius lip on the front and a 90-degree-right-angled lip on the back to provide flush mounting to your trailer. The 90-degree-right-angled lip on the back side of the fender points down towards the under side of the fender. There are no pre-drilled holes.

Specifications:

Single Axle Fender
Material 16-Gauge Steel
Length 28 Inches
Height 10 Inches
Width 8 Inches

Single Axle Trailer Fender

http://recstuff.com/themes/default/images/SingleAxleFenderMeasure.png

franciscolalas
10-09-2013, 07:28 PM
More updates,

Anyone knows if the inner bunks run parallel, or are they slightly inwards towards the front?

JDC
10-09-2013, 11:20 PM
As far as I can tell, the inner bunks are about 2" closer together at the front. Measuring at the inside edge of each bunk, at the rear is 20", and at the front it's 18".

It's dark outside but I did grab a flashlight and a tape measure and got a rough idea.
I can get on a creeper and get a more definite measurement if you need it... tomorrow. :)

Here are a few pics of mine right after I re-did the bunks. They don't really look 2" closer, but over an 8' board and with the angle of the photo, it's hard to see. They have a definite bow to them too. Even the rear has a slight bow to it.

franciscolalas
10-10-2013, 07:56 AM
Thanks Jeff!

I was going with trial and error with the bunks, but if you can provide me a couple of measurements it would be great!

If you have the time and if it's not asking too much, can you provide the distance from inside the bunks at front, middle and rear on the outer bunks and the distance from inside the bunks at middle on the inner bunks (rear is 20'' and front 18'').

Again if not asking too much the "A" and "B" measurements of each plate fixing the bunks (except for the outer bunks rear plate) and "C" for the outer bunks rear plate.

Thanks in advance!

franciscolalas
10-11-2013, 09:15 AM
Hi Jeff,

I got an email with your post but it wasn't published on the topic, don't know why!

I do confirm the A and B for the inner bunks, if you and you "secretary" have the time and patience to measure it.

Going to buy the carpet for the bunks!

Thanks

JDC
10-11-2013, 04:37 PM
? That's weird. I wonder why it didn't post up? Glad you got the message in e-mail at least.

I have a sheet drawn up to make it easier for my wife (secretary :)) to jot the numbers down when she gets home. I'll probably have to post them later from our hotel. As soon as the kids get home from school, we're hittin' the road (3 hour drive).

OK, I see the post made it up on my end. ;)

JDC
10-12-2013, 01:40 AM
OK... Lots of measurements.
I'm assuming both Rt and Lt are the same, so I only measured one side.

Inner bunk front:
A= 16-1/4"
B= 3-5/8"

Inner bunk middle:
A= 21"
B= 5"

Inner bunk rear:
A= 20-7/8"
B= 6-3/4"

Outer bunk front:
A= 10"
B= 4-7/8"

Outer bunk middle:
A= 10-1/2
B= 5-1/2

Outer bunk rear:
C= 2"

Between inner bunks:
Front - 17" (not 18")
Middle - 19"
Rear - 20"

Between outer bunks:
Front - 37" (hard to measure)
Middle - 39" (hard to measure)
Rear - 39"

Between the outer bunks was hard to measure because with the boat on the trailer, I was eyeballing it 10" below the bunk because of the keel being in the way. Even so, I was pretty careful to get within 1/2" I'd say.

These measurements are from a factory trailer so I hope they work out with what you've built.

Hope these help. I'll be away from the trailer for a few days so if you need something checked or another measurement, it'll be Monday afternoon before I could look at it again.

franciscolalas
10-13-2013, 08:37 AM
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for all your work!

I will only return to the trailer to work on it next week.

I thought your boat was out of the trailer, so you had a lot of trouble getting the measurements!

I think I have all I need, probably only need you to confirm one measurement on the front V-Block, let me know when you are around the trailer again.

Thanks

JDC
10-14-2013, 06:24 PM
Glad I could help.

It was easy once my wife and I were on the same page. I rolled around on the creeper measuring, and she wrote the #s down. I had a sheet with the bunks drawn as lines and an area at the front, middle and rear of each with A and B lines for #s. I just told her where I was and said what the reading was. She held the paper down under the boat for the first few measurments to make sure we were in sync. :)

My only concern is that your crossmembers may be at a different angle than factory, and then the "B" measurements I gave you would be off for your build.

Let me know if you need another measurement or check. I'm here with the boat/trailer.

franciscolalas
10-15-2013, 07:33 PM
Great team work!

I think the cross members have the same angle than the factory trailers, as I compared pictures from several trailers.

I think the last measures I need are the ones on the v block on the pic bellow.

I think we will have a perfect fit! Waiting for the coupler to arrive to finish the trailer an pull the boat out of the water.

JDC
10-15-2013, 08:25 PM
I have the channel in my V block to allow the long bow eye for the boat buddy to pass without hitting. The D measurement won't work if you're building it without the channel. Not sure if the E measurement is the same with either design.

The measurements on mine (if you want to use them)...
D= 6-3/4
E= 10-5/8