PDA

View Full Version : Tubing Death 10 yr old dies

atlfootr
07-31-2013, 08:58 AM
Jet Ski towing tube collided with a nearby dock.
http://www.wtsp.com/news/local/article/327724/8/UPDATE-Boy-dies-after-weekend-tubing-accident

JMLVMI
07-31-2013, 11:09 AM
Jet Ski towing tube collided with a nearby dock.
http://www.wtsp.com/news/local/article/327724/8/UPDATE-Boy-dies-after-weekend-tubing-accident

This has been a terrible summer for accidents, and so many of them avoidable. Nearly all involve tubes and/or PWCs. Sad.

Traxx822
07-31-2013, 11:18 AM
It has been a bad summer it seems. Or we are just more aware. Either way, people need to start getting a clue on how to be safe on the lake or we are going to start seeing regulations to the likes of which we will Never forget!!!! (Sorry for the medieval times reference)

thatsmrmastercraft
07-31-2013, 11:24 AM
The ability to be at the helm of a watercraft clearly has no connection with common sense.

JohnnyB
07-31-2013, 11:27 AM
Everyone please be safe out there. Also, I know it can be difficult, but please take the patience and time to educate others on how to be safe.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

Jeff_in_NY
07-31-2013, 11:54 AM
I was hoping this was a repost... sadly it was not.

F-ing stupid people.

Bouyhead
07-31-2013, 12:55 PM
[QUOTE=JohnnyB;962386]Everyone please be safe out there. Also, I know it can be difficult, but please take the patience and time to educate others on how to be safe.

Brilliance. Well said JohnntB.

Smarten
07-31-2013, 02:11 PM
I wish people would quit leaving their brain on shore or in the glovebox when going out to play! My question is why would you be running fast any where near a dock of any kind? So many accidents would be avoided if people would think again.

My prayers go out to the family.
Scott

76S&S
07-31-2013, 03:26 PM
A few weeks ago I witnessed someone slinging someone on a tube in toward the dock at the end of their run. I quickly called them aside and explained that the individual on the tube didn't have any control over their path. It's one thing to sling an experienced skier toward the dock but another to sling a tube where the rider has no control. They immediatly stopped slinging the riders and would just pull up past the dock for riders to change.

Traxx822
07-31-2013, 03:41 PM
A few weeks ago I witnessed someone slinging someone on a tube in toward the dock at the end of their run. I quickly called them aside and explained that the individual on the tube didn't have any control over their path. It's one thing to sling an experienced skier toward the dock but another to sling a tube where the rider has no control. They immediatly stopped slinging the riders and would just pull up past the dock for riders to change.

Wow, they were doing it to be more efficient in changing riders? That's sad.

Hey, no one said you have to be smart to own a smart phone ... Or a jet ski.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

76S&S
07-31-2013, 03:46 PM
Wow, they were doing it to be more efficient in changing riders? That's sad.

Hey, no one said you have to be smart to own a smart phone ... Or a jet ski.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Yep...:(

scott023
07-31-2013, 05:45 PM
Man, bad summer for accidents is right. What a senseless tragedy. My condolences to the family.

atlfootr
07-31-2013, 11:09 PM
The funeral for the boy who died, will be on Friday.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-31-2013, 11:53 PM
How terribly sad.

h2oskifreak
08-01-2013, 12:21 PM
Very sad for the family. Safety is so paramount. We had a 21y/o killed in CO last week. Paper said "rope broke and a metal piece struck her in the head". I don't know but my tube does not have any metal connections. Wonder if they were using a climbing (carabineer) part.

I pulled handicapped kids on a tube for 6 hours last Sunday and was whipped out after words. You HAVE to be at full attention whenever you are behind the wheel and NO DRINKS. I was fully spent and then it hit me how I was really focused for so long and then I knew why.

Child or adult, very sad and totally avoidable in most cases.

sp00ky
08-01-2013, 12:36 PM
It has been a bad summer it seems. Or we are just more aware. Either way, people need to start getting a clue on how to be safe on the lake or we are going to start seeing regulations to the likes of which we will Never forget!!!! (Sorry for the medieval times reference)

Agreed I over ranted about this on the Boat hits a barge thread. I love to have fun but it PISSES me off to see so many without a clue or just don't care to be safe.

sp00ky
08-01-2013, 12:37 PM
BTW its most likely never anyone on this forum its the jackoffs who don't love the water like we do.

wheelerlake
08-05-2013, 01:00 PM
I pulled my son, dil and their kids on tubes yesterday, then got the 3 girls up on the boom on skis (2 for the first time-6 year old gd and a friend). We played in the jet boat doing spin outs and submarined it twice. Tons of fun but NO alcohol and sharply vigilant, head on a swivel all afternoon! I skied after everyone left and the lake calmed down. I was exhausted teaching everyone to be safe and making sure 4 kids and 2 extra adults were SAFE out there playing hard and having fun. I call them "Grandma's rules"! No matter what the DNR says, life jackets worn at all times, on or off the dock!

MI_Corey
08-05-2013, 01:05 PM
We flagged a pwc pulling a tube down yesterday for going the wrong way around the lake while the lake was very busy.

deminimis
08-06-2013, 12:59 PM
"Officials said it appeared to be an accident..." WRONG Accidents are not avoidable. This was no accident, it was negligence. This is one reason I am a fan of state-required boating education and licenses for everyone. At 28, the operator of the PWC was just outside the required age for a boater's license in Fla. Glad the education/license requirement exists up here. Of course, it's not a cure-all, but it helps. Might have helped here.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-06-2013, 01:01 PM
"Officials said it appeared to be an accident..." WRONG Accidents are not avoidable. This was no accident, it was negligence. This is one reason I am a fan of state-required boating education and licenses for everyone. At 28, the operator of the PWC was just outside the required age for a boater's license in Fla. Glad the education/license requirement exists up here. Of course, it's not a cure-all, but it helps.

Agreed that this was an act of negligence. Seems most boating "accidents" are.