PDA

View Full Version : 2009 MCX 197 Overheating

Aaronhebert88
07-30-2013, 10:48 PM
Took out the boat this weekend and after skiing a couple of times, then taking a break we took a ride. all of a sudden the temp spiked immediately to 220 and the engine lost power. (must of went into limp mode). I immediately killed the motor as we lost power. My initial thoughts were the impeller blew up, or thermostat hung up closed. I have checked all the intake lines, transmission cooler grate, and all hoses leading to the thermostat housing. Everything checks out good. Is there anything else I could of missed, or something else i could look for? I wouldn't think it could be the water pump, but at this point I don't know of anything else it could be. Any suggestions?

willyt
07-31-2013, 12:29 PM
Water strainer

mcmx2
07-31-2013, 01:13 PM
Did you feel the risers? Did you smell anything that was out of the ordinary? The engine may not have been hot and the sensor has an electrical problem. Check to see if the exhaust hoses where they connect to the risers are cracked or brittle, they will usually get brittle on an overheated engine. It may be a ground issue on the temp gauge.

Aaronhebert88
07-31-2013, 03:52 PM
It smelt like burnt rubber. No, or if not little smoke came from the hatch. Water strainer is clean. Hoses appear to be in good condition.

Kweisner
07-31-2013, 05:04 PM
It smelt like burnt rubber. No, or if not little smoke came from the hatch. Water strainer is clean. Hoses appear to be in good condition.

Could it be the belt? I'm not sure, but doesn't it also drive the water pump (not the raw water pump).

JimN
07-31-2013, 05:07 PM

If your exhaust hoses are soft, you didn't have any water going through the cooling system. Look at the exhaust flappers and flanges- if they're blistered, you definitely overheated it.

CantRepeat
07-31-2013, 05:22 PM
If your exhaust hoses are soft, you didn't have any water going through the cooling system. Look at the exhaust flappers and flanges- if they're blistered, you definitely overheated it.

Like Jim said, if the exhaust hoses are soft then they have probably separated and collapsed on the inside.

JimN
07-31-2013, 05:54 PM
Like Jim said, if the exhaust hoses are soft then they have probably separated and collapsed on the inside.

I have seen them not separate, but some blistered, peeled, de-laminated and blew out the side.

CantRepeat
07-31-2013, 05:59 PM
I have seen them not separate, but some blistered, peeled, de-laminated and blew out the side.

Yeah, I've seen that too. I saw one that was so separated and collapsed the boat would barely run because of the back pressure.

JimN
07-31-2013, 06:07 PM
Yeah, I've seen that too. I saw one that was so separated and collapsed the boat would barely run because of the back pressure.

And then, there's the damage to the muffler(s).