PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pressure Gague Problems - 1997 Prostar 205 LT1

mcsej@aol.com
07-30-2013, 02:18 PM
My oil pressure gauge is pinned on 80 on my 1997 Prostar 205 LT1 with the engine running or off with the ignition on. I have tried two new sending units - one from DIM and the other from Napa with the same results. All the sending units have a resistance of about 240 ohms with no pressure and less resistance with pressure. I did check the integrity of the wire from the gauge to the sending unit and it is fine. I also do have 11.9 volts at the gauge and my volt gauge works fine. The DIM part number I am using is R020001. If I disconnect the wire from the sender to the gauge the reading goes to zero. I now think that I need a new gauge although Mastercraft no longer makes those gauges. The last possibility I can think of is that these are the wrong sending units.

Thanks for any help

Steve Jones

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
07-30-2013, 04:18 PM
My oil pressure gauge is pinned on 80 on my 1997 Prostar 205 LT1 with the engine running or off with the ignition on. I have tried two new sending units - one from DIM and the other from Napa with the same results. All the sending units have a resistance of about 240 ohms with no pressure and less resistance with pressure. I did check the integrity of the wire from the gauge to the sending unit and it is fine. I also do have 11.9 volts at the gauge and my volt gauge works fine. The DIM part number I am using is R020001. If I disconnect the wire from the sender to the gauge the reading goes to zero. I now think that I need a new gauge although Mastercraft no longer makes those gauges. The last possibility I can think of is that these are the wrong sending units.

Thanks for any help

Steve Jones

I suspect you either have a bad gauge or the sender wire is shorted to a ground somewhere. have you checked the resistance at the gauge or just at the sender? this will eliminate and wiring issue.

mcsej@aol.com
07-30-2013, 05:39 PM
I did check the sender wire and it was not grounded. It did have a normal reading of about 1/2 ohm from end to end.