PDA

View Full Version : Kidney Stones

CantRepeat
07-30-2013, 10:22 AM
What a spoon full of sugar they are!! :mad:

blwright
07-30-2013, 11:28 AM
Agreed. I've been fortunate all mine have been under 4mm. My uncle has one taped in his wallet the size of a pencil eraser. And he passed it............

drschemel
07-30-2013, 11:30 AM
a six-pack of bud lite lime will take care of about 90% of them!

blwright
07-30-2013, 11:39 AM
My Urologist told me there are more cases of kidney stones in AL and GA than the rest of the 48 combined.

CantRepeat
07-30-2013, 11:47 AM
This is my first experience with them, I'm 50. I've lived in AL for about 17 years but spent a lot of that time deployed or stationed somewhere else. I hope AL/GA isn't the epicenter for kidney stones. I felt like a little girl with all the whining I've done over the last 4 or 5 days trying to pass them. CT scan showed 6 of them, some still in the kidneys, both of them.

CantRepeat
07-30-2013, 11:48 AM
a six-pack of bud lite lime will take care of about 90% of them!

If drinking bud is the cure then I'd rather have the stones!! :D:D

stuartmcnair
07-30-2013, 11:57 AM
well, I had my first bout when I lived in Georgia and the second after I moved back to Alabama so I will agree with that doctor.

Also, I would rather be shot than go through that pain again...

blwright
07-30-2013, 12:16 PM
Morphine or dilaudid are your greatest allies.

drschemel
07-30-2013, 01:46 PM
If drinking bud is the cure then I'd rather have the stones!! :D:D

not just bud, it has to be the lite with lime - want as much water going through your kidney as possible!
Diet and concentrated urine have a lot to do with forming stones. You can find a lot about this online and alway, always stay hydrated. It only takes one day to get a stone started.

heath124
07-30-2013, 08:23 PM
I've had 1 and I don't wish that on nobody. My brother has passed over 70 of them and 4 that had to be lasered. I think his biggest was almost 8mm. I also have an uncle that fought in Vietnam and was shot and hit by shrapnel and he said the kidneys stones were worse than that. So I feel for you.

SkiDog
07-30-2013, 09:24 PM
They say, drinking a lot of sweet tea will cause them. Idunno

CantRepeat
07-30-2013, 10:18 PM
They say, drinking a lot of sweet tea will cause them. Idunno

Yeah, I read that too. I've not been on the sweet tea for while now. Believe it or not, I stop drinking beer a while back and cut down on red meat. The ER doc ask me why I did that. That was right before he gave me the jelly finger and said he'd send me a card and flowers. I suggested a quiet dinner. Wendy just laughed at him.

sethro
07-30-2013, 11:28 PM
I went through it again in May for about the 10th time. I had two stones 13mm and 11mm and was lucky to get them both blasted apart in one lithotripsy procedure. However, a stent was inserted during the procedure and quite possibly the worst afternoon of my life occurred about two weeks later when the stent was removed. It was just awful. Absolutely awful.

eurosysytem0
07-31-2013, 07:19 AM
I had stents twice. I agree they were bloody awful. Caused me more grief than the stones.had them in for 7-10days - total misery!
I,ve had stones three times.

In terms of zapping them to shatter the stone, in Germany and in UK they say can only be done whilst stone is in Kidney not once moved into tubes.

Now retired and asked to have 6 month screening to see if stones developing to catch early (in Germany this took ultrsound about 10 minutes).
In UK our heath service refused saying I would have to wait and see if they happen again and then they would deal with them!. Last three times this involved: blue light ambulance, hospital admission, stents fitted, week of misery, hospital admission, stent removed etc etc etc.

It does not seem like a cost efficient way of managing the problem.

As for cause I had more conflicting advice than you can count, Hard Water, Tea, Coffee, Strawberrys, Rhubard etc etc etc.

gweaver
07-31-2013, 04:29 PM
Had a stone back in May, my first (and hopefully only). I've never felt pain like that. I actually wound up throwing up in the ER waiting room it hurt so much. Found out I've got a high tolerance for pain killers too. Took 4 doses of dilaudid and a dose of morphine before the pain was under control. Spent about 5 hours in the ER- 9pm to about 2am, then home. First time in 12 years I've ever missed work, I took 2 days to rest/recover. Funny thing is, the stone never passed. Doc said sometimes if you really drink alot of water, the calcium will re-dissolve and just get flushed out. Maybe I got lucky, as the idea of it coming out the urethra really doesn't excite me at all.
I was told tea, coffee are contributors, as they're diuretics and the (chronic) dehydration can cause a buildup of calcium and other minerals in the kidney. I quit coffee and tea cold-turkey, but the caffeine headache was a deal breaker. Since then, I've limited myself to one cup of coffee/day and at least 3 quarts of water per day. With luck, I won't have any more problems.
My best advice- drink lots of water and stay hydrated so your kidneys can work properly and flush everything out.
G

deployedjosh
08-01-2013, 12:27 AM
http://www.planetaryherbals.com/products/GP1550/

I'm not one to push quack products, but this product has helped me out a lot. My dad had kidney issues, and he turned me on to it after I had a bout with gout.

blwright
08-01-2013, 05:40 PM
Pop is on Allopurinol for gout.

SkiDog
08-02-2013, 09:49 AM
Yeah, I read that too. I've not been on the sweet tea for while now. Believe it or not, I stop drinking beer a while back and cut down on red meat. The ER doc ask me why I did that. That was right before he gave me the jelly finger and said he'd send me a card and flowers. I suggested a quiet dinner. Wendy just laughed at him.

There's the damn cause right there dummy!:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme

mikeg205
08-04-2013, 12:55 PM
sorry to read tim... I haven't had them - but i know a bunch of folks who have... very painful

CantRepeat
08-04-2013, 04:57 PM
I'm going on a week of this crap now. I've read that it can take upto a month to pass them. Its the not sleeping part that sucks the most.

blwright
08-05-2013, 01:28 AM
Man, that sucks. I've never had one linger longer than a day or 2.