PDA

View Full Version : New (to me) Xstar

ac505
07-30-2013, 09:07 AM
Here are a few shots of my "new" Xstar. 2000 with TBI engine and only 275hrs from new.

It needs a little tidying up, I've done a fair amount of the cosmetic stuff already, need to start on the projects soon, stargazer, ballast, heater,, trailer lighting. It has a partial new interior so slight discolouration between the grey vinyl but that doesn't really bother me and as we have young kids I dont want to be too precious about the boat. Tower, I will have to get used to, tbh i dont really like it, I feel it dates the boat, but I also don't see the point sinking money into a new tower,

I'm trying to track down some water ingress into the transmission, seals are not leaking and cooler checked out fine with a pressure test, I may be lucky and the contamination was purely old oil and condensation..., if not a good winter job to replace the seals.

A couple of the gauges are out - one speedo doesn't work, no problem as that's where the stargazer is going. The rev counter doesn't work either, needles bounces around full scale and doesn't return to zero even with engine off, so doubt it can be fixed (welcome any advice however). The gauges however look pretty terrible, I need to see if I can remove the bezels and paint them.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=920&pictureid=5515
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=920&pictureid=5514
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=920&pictureid=5513

onewheat
07-30-2013, 10:39 AM
Nice - congratulations! What are you towing that with? It looks small compared to what we're used to over here for a towing rig.

Burbon66
07-30-2013, 12:18 PM
Agreed great boat. You will love tinkering I am sure. I was thinking the same thing about the car. Is that rated to tow the boat? We have to use 3tonne capacity here in Aus

scott023
07-30-2013, 12:19 PM
Congrats on the purchase.

ricford
07-30-2013, 12:24 PM
Looks great. I hear you're having a bit of a heat wave over there. Get out and enjoy it.

jk13
07-30-2013, 12:33 PM
Great boat! Enjoy it.

Tow vehicle looks like an Audi All-Road or A6 Avant to me. In the US they are rated for 3300lbs. In the UK they are at 4630lbs. Could be the US "crash" bumpers are thicker front to back so the hitch here has to be longer (more leverage) behind the mounting points to reach. Or it could be that here in the US we have our fair share of idiots and as a nation we are entirely too quick to sue and the rating reflects that.:rolleyes:

ac505
07-30-2013, 03:35 PM
Well,spotted, it's an A6. Can't beat a torquey diesel for towing! Rated at 2200kg, so fine for the boat and the loch is only 10 miles away....

Boat has lots of tinker potential, I could have bought a newer boat but where is the fun in that. Eagerly awaiting the jabsco pump so I can get a decent amount of ballast in it. Keen to see how it compares to my old Nautique.

ac505
07-30-2013, 03:51 PM
Well,spotted, it's an A6. Can't beat a torquey diesel for towing! Rated at 2200kg, so fine for the boat and the loch is only 10 miles away....

Boat has lots of tinker potential, I could have bought a newer boat but where is the fun in that. Eagerly awaiting the jabsco pump so I can get a decent amount of ballast in it. Keen to see how it compares to my old Nautique.

Redstorm
07-30-2013, 07:37 PM
Nice boat, I have the same, 205v, and we enjoy it. A newer tower will change the appearance. Congrats!