PDA

View Full Version : Wife hates the boat....help.

Gteeiguy
07-29-2013, 10:58 PM
She likes our MC. Hates being on it. She likes to surf from time to time, but overall doesn't enjoy boating. What can I do? I was raised on the lake, she on the farm. Anyone else feel my pain?

cbryan70
07-29-2013, 11:02 PM
My wife loves being on the boat but won't get into the water. Pool only for her. I feel your pain.

BARE5
07-29-2013, 11:19 PM
Find another woman or friend for her to enjoy it with. That's what we did. Now I can't get her out of the water an out of the boat.

Redstorm
07-29-2013, 11:27 PM
Get a new wife ..lol. I found something she likes to do like kick back have glass of wine and go out to dinner via the boat. We live by the lake and river. Restuarants on the river.

detonate69
07-30-2013, 12:04 AM
My wife would not be my wife if she didn't enjoy boating. She loves it as much as me. Our son has been on the boat since two weeks old.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

jsturvey
07-30-2013, 12:26 AM
It's not my wife's favorite thing to do either, but the kids absolutely love it. We do the lake date thing occasionally as well. Trying to be creative in finding ways for her to enjoy the lake. Can be challenging at times.

D3skier
07-30-2013, 12:38 AM
was in the same situation as you and now the boat is gone and have a 5th wheel instead... still really miss having a boat and now just lost my job Friday so any boat ideas at this point is down the toilet. I ended up just finding other people to go ski with

peason
07-30-2013, 08:10 AM
Bummer, my wife happens to be one of the best boat drivers I have ever skied with! She loves the water and all of the water sports as well! I am very fortunate!

snork
07-30-2013, 08:50 AM
get a new boat

aquaman
07-30-2013, 09:05 AM
I agree.....a New Boat is the answer. :)

broncotw
07-30-2013, 09:10 AM
Send the wife to the spa and take the girlfriend to the lake!

Jeff_in_NY
07-30-2013, 09:27 AM
What about it doesn't she like? Does she like action and not sitting around floating or swimming? Or is it a physical thing where the motion of the water or the smells bother her? Maybe instead of asking the forums, you should ask your wife?

TxsRiverRat
07-30-2013, 09:40 AM
I say ditch the wife, I know the perfect woman for you to take:

http://www.kprcradio.com/pages/walto...ticle=11502776

Kimper
07-30-2013, 09:54 AM
^^ link not working

psbudz
07-30-2013, 09:58 AM
I bought my boat last fall. Wife thought it unfair that I adopted this expensive new hobby, so she got one of her own. Her hobby was not condusive to a stable marrriage. I kicked her out of the house in March. Have not yet concluded whether or not purchase of said watercraft played a role but she really wasn't a boat person. Still have the boat.

Next woman will have to pass the boat test.

Kimper
07-30-2013, 10:01 AM
I need more info to help you. Do you trailer the boat to the lake? How far is it? What do you do on the boat? What specifically does she not like? I got the nick name boat Nazi from my wife because I was always go go going... Time to wakeboard, time to surf, need more ballast, everyone sit here, sit there etc... At her suggestion I have chilled a bit and now sometimes it's just time to throw over the anchor and have a cold one while the kido swims!

Gteeiguy
07-30-2013, 10:04 AM
Ha ha! Some pretty good responses here. Oh I have taken her to dinner, had little wine cruises, and days where we never even planed out. I've tried it all. New boat isn't in the cards. I'm just hoping that eventually she'll learn to love it. She tolerates it for now I guess......

Kimper
07-30-2013, 10:04 AM
Her hobby was not condusive to a stable marrriage.

Ok, you gotta tell us the hobby??

TxsRiverRat
07-30-2013, 10:05 AM
^^ link not working

Try this?

http://www.kprcradio.com/pages/waltonandjohnson.html?article=11502776

madcityskier
07-30-2013, 10:06 AM
Invite some of her friends. Take a few drinks and ride around the lake chatting and admiring houses. Stop for a dinner reservation at CaptIn Bills or Mariners. Swing past the Union listen to the band and people watch. You'll convince her. Do you have kids? Get a big tube (I know, I know) bring another family, put all the kids out there at once. Socialize with other adults while watching the kids have a blast.

Redstorm
07-30-2013, 10:11 AM
Well....sounds to me she found a boy toy....

bsloop
07-30-2013, 10:16 AM
Agree, understand exactly what she does not like. The fact she likes the boat but not being on it does not make sense.
She might say, yeah the boat is nice to not hurt your pride but the fact is a 19' (don't know if you have the 19 or 22 from your sig) bounces around and does not feel stable. (22 is really like a small 21 given the molded swim platform)
Smell, dirty water, lack of shade, cramped space can all be crying points.

Wave action used to really bother my wife but as the season progressed and after a couple of years, sea legs improved and this was less of an issue.

She has always been more of a "couple hours and I am done" not ride early and hang out in the cove all day kind of person. This lead to me dropping her off to go home and I stay for a while which has its own set of problems sometimes.

No good answer, especially without knowing the TRUE root issues but like other parts of marriage; hopefully there is compromise other wise something must be sacrificed........

psbudz
07-30-2013, 10:18 AM
Kimper, just as in Greek tragedys, your imagination is left to fill in what wasn't shown on the stage.

Funny thing is, is she wants to go out on the boat this weekend. (it would ber her first time on my vessel.) Go figure.

aquaman
07-30-2013, 10:29 AM
Kimper, just as in Greek tragedys, your imagination is left to fill in what wasn't shown on the stage.

Funny thing is, is she wants to go out on the boat this weekend. (it would ber her first time on my vessel.) Go figure.

No....she was just testing you, and you told her the boat was a priority.

She's in damage control mode now.

Women have the ability to "like" what they have to like, even if they dont.

TxsRiverRat
07-30-2013, 10:32 AM
can't tell if the link works as its blocked at work. this is who he should take to the lake:

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=56196&page=3

psbudz
07-30-2013, 10:42 AM
Ok, you gotta tell us the hobby??

No....she was just testing you, and you told her the boat was a priority.

She's in damage control mode now.

Women have the ability to "like" what they have to like, even if they dont.

I honestly have no clue. The boat was probably a factor, how big of one, who knows? There were others. The boat didn't even hit the water until this May. And I'm not that big of a selfish a**h**e to sacrifice my marriage over this boat. There were, of course, other problems. Whatever, new chapter.

If I can't find a third, she'll be my nuclear option. I'd sooner sacrifice my pride then give up a day on the lake. I'm such a whore ; )

Dylan
07-30-2013, 11:36 AM
That's a real shame. My best advice would be to get her involved/excited about one thing on the boat. Whether it's a evening boat ride, laying out (either on the beach or a tube), camping trip, etc. There has to be one thing she can enjoy while boating.

When I first met my wife she pretty much hated the water, and was extremely timid. Started out taking her with me to the beach with jetskis, then into boating. Getting her friends involved also is a great idea. Good luck!

chriscraftmatt1976
07-30-2013, 11:43 AM
Send the wife to the spa and take the girlfriend to the lake!

Like. Supportable idea.

aquaman
07-30-2013, 11:59 AM
Boating for me is a lifestyle and integral to my happiness.

Anyone that wants to restrict or try to manage that fact, should go find happiness elsewhere :)

JMLVMI
07-30-2013, 12:10 PM
Wife was the main catalyst behind us getting a boat! As we all know they are money sinkholes (both ;-), but the enjoyment she gets being out on the lake and skiing (on combos) on glass make it worth it.

I feel for you man, and I hope she comes around.

Traxx822
07-30-2013, 12:17 PM
She likes our MC. Hates being on it. She likes to surf from time to time, but overall doesn't enjoy boating. What can I do? I was raised on the lake, she on the farm. Anyone else feel my pain?

Why do you think I named my boat "She Said No" There is more to it than just she said I couldn't have the boat. It was she was not going on it, getting in that nasty water, or even daring to be pulled by it ever.

Now, If I ever got rid of the boat she would be very very PO'd. Second, she has rode on a tube with another girlfriend riding with her (Very big for this city girl) Third, she wants to swim every time the boat slows down at all. Gets kinda annoying now.

All this changed because her girlfriends were calling her nuts. They wanted to go, that made her go and now she is all in.

But this is a sensitive time for you. Don't make it stressful. Don't ask her to drive, or expect her to grab lines or the dock or anything for that matter.

You will scare the fish away. :D

scott023
07-30-2013, 12:18 PM
Give it time... my wife absolutely loves being on the boat now, but it hasn't always been that way.

TxsRiverRat
07-30-2013, 12:49 PM
I had a wife that at one time loved everything I loved... She loved to scuba, she loved to go boating, she even loved being intimate... After the wedding and then the kid, all of that changed... She did not want to do anything we once loved... Did not like to boat, ski, travel, and after almost getting us killed, no more scuba... All she cared about was her own selfish interests... Forget about what we both once enjoyed together... It became all about what she wanted... I think in retrospect she pretended to enjoy all the things I did simply to be with me... It was a charade... So at the end of the day, long term, if you love to boat and ski and she doesn’t, you’ll end up on the lake alone or with other friends and skiers... She will find a a new hobby... Mine liked to run Quicken reports to show how "if we can spend $300 on average on "YOUR" boatm we can afford $400 for a horse..." (um, not when you're a non working leach and not while you're the only one going to use it and definitely not while you're married to me you're not)... The relationship will turn into a parallel universe where you have nothing in common and spend no time together... In other words, you’ll have to bow to her wants and needs or divorce... That’s when she’ll ask the court for permission to sell your boat to pay for her attys fees because it’s like kicking you in the nads...

And you best pray there’s no kids involved. I know I lost more than just money in mine.

Traxx822
07-30-2013, 01:04 PM
I had a wife that at one time loved everything I loved... She loved to scuba, she loved to go boating, she even loved being intimate... After the wedding and then the kid, all of that changed... She did not want to do anything we once loved... Did not like to boat, ski, travel, and after almost getting us killed, no more scuba... All she cared about was her own selfish interests... Forget about what we both once enjoyed together... It became all about what she wanted... I think in retrospect she pretended to enjoy all the things I did simply to be with me... It was a charade... So at the end of the day, long term, if you love to boat and ski and she doesn’t, you’ll end up on the lake alone or with other friends and skiers... She will find a a new hobby... Mine liked to run Quicken reports to show how "if we can spend $300 on average on "YOUR" boatm we can afford $400 for a horse..." (um, not when you're a non working leach and not while you're the only one going to use it and definitely not while you're married to me you're not)... The relationship will turn into a parallel universe where you have nothing in common and spend no time together... In other words, you’ll have to bow to her wants and needs or divorce... That’s when she’ll ask the court for permission to sell your boat to pay for her attys fees because it’s like kicking you in the nads...

And you best pray there’s no kids involved. I know I lost more than just money in mine.

Every time there is a topic that somewhat involves females, When I see TRR post. I get excited. Cause its hilarious

chriscraftmatt1976
07-30-2013, 01:06 PM
That sucks.

TxsRiverRat
07-30-2013, 01:09 PM
Every time there is a topic that somewhat involves females, When I see TRR post. I get excited. Cause its hilarious

Heh, well it’s all true for my situation... Seriously...

The OP is not going to be able to make her like it. Anyone in my ski club that met my ex could tell you they recall her not having any interest in being there... "There" meaning the lake, with the club, with me or anything else. There’s really only 2 options... Go without her or get a new woman...

I had a friend once tell me “The woman you married is not the woman you dated and the woman you divorced is not the woman you married...”

So my .02 cents, get a new woman that loves the lake, and don’t marry em – they’ll definitely stop wanting to going shortly after the wedding...

Traxx822
07-30-2013, 01:12 PM
Heh, well it’s all true for my situation... Seriously...

The OP is not going to be able to make her like it. Anyone in my ski club that met my ex could tell you they recall her not having any interest in being there... "There" meaning the lake, with the club, with me or anything else. There’s really only 2 options... Go without her or get a new woman...

I had a friend once tell me “The woman you married is not the woman you dated and the woman you divorced is not the woman you married...”

So my .02 cents, get a new woman that loves the lake, and don’t marry em – they’ll definitely stop wanting to going shortly after the wedding...

Your rhetoric is the funny part. Not your situation.

And I doubt he will take your advice anyways lol. Although what if he did? Next post is I divorced her and am now dating a younger blonde who loves the lake, drives the boat ... and can't wait to perform at home. Oh and makes dinner on the regular.

psbudz
07-30-2013, 01:18 PM

It would be funny if it weren't true. TRR, I feel your pain brother.

psbudz
07-30-2013, 01:21 PM
So the moral of the story is: Get the boat first and don't get married!

aquaman
07-30-2013, 01:30 PM

TRR.....that suks.

Your experience is not that uncommon, though painful and expensive.
Yes, women are good at charades and justifying irrational behavior. :rolleyes:

thatsmrmastercraft
07-30-2013, 01:32 PM
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

TxsRiverRat
07-30-2013, 02:04 PM

:D

Your rhetoric is the funny part. Not your situation.

And I doubt he will take your advice anyways lol. Although what if he did? Next post is I divorced her and am now dating a younger blonde who loves the lake, drives the boat ... and can't wait to perform at home. Oh and makes dinner on the regular.

Wait - what about owning a liquor store? :D :D :D

It would be funny if it weren't true. TRR, I feel your pain brother.

LOl - I speak from experience fo sho

So the moral of the story is: Get the boat first and don't get married!

We can all learn a little something from Taylor hahaha

TRR.....that suks.

Your experience is not that uncommon, though painful and expensive.
Yes, women are good at charades and justifying irrational behavior. :rolleyes:

Hey, no worries, I have what I want now ;)

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Peter - shaddap :)

thatsmrmastercraft
07-30-2013, 02:47 PM

http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=44555&d=1364467630 http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=44555&d=1364467630 http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=44555&d=1364467630

scott023
07-30-2013, 03:32 PM

Well said. :D

neil.anderson63
07-30-2013, 04:44 PM
Boating for me is a lifestyle and integral to my happiness.

Anyone that wants to restrict or try to manage that fact, should go find happiness elsewhere :)

X's2 - My other half LOVES the lake, camping out, beer and vagabond adventures. I'm a very lucky and happy man! Find some friends to go along - The more, the merrier!!!

rodltg2
07-30-2013, 05:48 PM
My wife started out liking going out to the lake but now not so much. I don't think she anticipated it would be every weekend 8 months out of the year. 6 years later I think she is done with it. She absolutely hates the ski lake, so I try to break it up between the ski lake and public lake . Doesn't always help, so sometimes it just me and my ski buddies. I could be persuaded into a newer model like a 1990-92 instead of my 1976.

Kweisner
07-30-2013, 07:55 PM
I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. . .while on a friend's 197 two years ago, it was my wife that leaned over and quietly said, "we should really get a boat." I was dumbstruck since she's the less indulgent of the two of us! Got our own 197 last September and use it every chance we can. It's become the center of our family time and my three kids, while "late" to the watersports scene, are really taking to wakeboarding, skiing, and just chilling with mom and dad. Also happy to see how confident they are becoming as swimmers. Nice to get away from the computers, wii, xbox, ipods, chores, worries, stress. Best $28k I ever spent (not counting the new tow rig)!

fz1dba
07-30-2013, 08:09 PM
My wife has been around boats and the lake her whole life, but she absolutely refuses to ski or try anything. She just does not feel confident in the water. Her momma put the fear in her early and she has barley gotten over it. She only learned to swim under water in the last year or two.

Luckily she LOVES to drive and be on the boat and around the water.. just not skiing or anything.

We have been trying to get her to try to surf but so far she is sticking to her guns... oh well just one less person in the rotation 8p

02ProstarSammyD
07-30-2013, 08:17 PM
My EX WIFE hated my boat. See what happened there?

MY Girlfriend loves the boat and asks if we can slip in runs after dinner.

Boating is a lifestyle not a toy imho and when I'm old, wrinkly, fat, and running around the lake I'll want someone in the boat with me.

PS: When I dropped off the wife I suddenly had more gas money. It was a freaky coincidence.

uplander
07-30-2013, 09:27 PM
I was at Scheels today exchanging my surf board, it is kinda funny because I get lots of looks like what is that. One lady said she loves the water but her husband hates it. Kinda funny reading this thread. I would try a boating vacation with lots of things to do. You are in the midwest so Lake of the Ozarks has everything shopping, movies, gocarts etc ... find a calm piece of the lake like the upper MM like 60 and up rent a house or condo have fun and take her shopping and then go boating ...

Another good spot is Branson Table Rock, calmer water with all kinds of shows, shopping Silver Dollar City etc ... that one might be better for you

Get on VRBO.com and rent condo or house - tons of fun

Gteeiguy
07-30-2013, 10:38 PM
Good stuff here guys. Very much appreciated. I'm going to have her read this thread. Instill some guilt and make her consider the consequences of her continued discontent on the water. Ha ha!

03 35th Anniversary
07-30-2013, 11:20 PM

Boating is a lifestyle not a toy imho and when I'm old, wrinkly, fat, and running around the lake I'll want someone in the boat with me.

PS: When I dropped off the wife I suddenly had more gas money. It was a freaky coincidence.

X2.............

sp00ky
07-31-2013, 12:23 AM
I need more info to help you. Do you trailer the boat to the lake? How far is it? What do you do on the boat? What specifically does she not like? I got the nick name boat Nazi from my wife because I was always go go going... Time to wakeboard, time to surf, need more ballast, everyone sit here, sit there etc... At her suggestion I have chilled a bit and now sometimes it's just time to throw over the anchor and have a cold one while the kido swims!

Dude that's hilarious..when we got our boat I had this delusion I was going to make my wife the perfect driver overnight I was a nazi a** as well. I was tense ,kids were tense, my wife was pissed. AND my wakeboarding went downhill cause I wasn't relaxed and smooth like I used to be.

My wife is an excellent boat driver despite my crap. She is laughing at this and how much more fun the lake is now.

millpondkid
07-31-2013, 12:45 AM
One of my favorite memories was when my girlfriend and I double skied on a makeup date. We married and 16 yrs into our marriage I decided to get a boat. We had some issues and she made the comment a week before I was to test drive the boat that if we split up maybe I shouldn't buy the boat. Well the boat is in the garage and she's out the door...my kids love to go with me and I know she misses going.:( but to the op having close friends or family for social time is a good start.

TxsRiverRat
07-31-2013, 10:03 AM

x3! :D

aquaman
07-31-2013, 10:25 AM

X4 agreed.

DBrown2
07-31-2013, 10:46 AM
Well as some have stated the girlfriend to wife, and then she changed comments. I wonder how long you actually knew the women, and then dated the person. I basically set several rules in my head of what I wanted out of a future wife, and after dating a girl for several months I would push those rules and see what happened.

Physical attraction can take you only so far... ususally about 1-3 years and then its over and done.

Sticking to boating or really outdoor activities my rules.

My wife doesnt water ski, or wakeboard... she will tube but most of the time doesnt get in the water. She loves to lay in the sun and relax, and drink beverages. So boating is a shoe in for her... she will drive me a few hours, then we hang with friends a few hours relaxing, then we change out.
Boating is just our life in the Summer Time... She even can go get the boat, and put it in by herself if push came to shove.

A rule that you need to keep in your head... Never Yell at a Women pulling you. I did that several years ago, while she was attempting to pull me the first time behind our old PS190. Well she taught me a lesson not to yell, because she ripped my arms off, and me being stubburn was attempting to hand on and get up... She drug me 60 yards on my back, until I spun putting my feet down.. attempting to Barefoot.

Well truly my wife was a High School flame and then a College Flame, with various times apart. I said look I Water Ski, Snow Ski, and have a passion for anything Fast... can you live with that? She said yes... so we said I do...

Bottom Line Know the Women in season and out of season. Push her buttons and see what responses you get.

TxsRiverRat
07-31-2013, 10:51 AM
I think Jerry Reed saw my life 20 years in advance

www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-p0zn3PijY

thatsmrmastercraft
07-31-2013, 11:11 AM
I think Jerry Reed saw my life 20 years in advance

www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-p0zn3PijY

"Didn't take me long to see how far in the toilet I was" http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=44555&d=1364467630 http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=44555&d=1364467630 http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=44555&d=1364467630

TxsRiverRat
07-31-2013, 11:17 AM
"Didn't take me long to see how far in the toilet I was" http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=44555&d=1364467630 http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=44555&d=1364467630 http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=44555&d=1364467630

Seriously, Jerry Reed nailed it on this one... :D

And what's crazy is the courts here in Texas still think it's 1950

76S&S
07-31-2013, 11:22 AM
I have a good one.

I actually met her on the water and she drove the boat so I could get a set in on the day we met. Yes, I let her drive the boat on the very day we met.... She drove so well, that I decided then that she was a keeper. Counting dating we've now been together almost 29 years.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-31-2013, 11:25 AM
Seriously, Jerry Reed nailed it on this one... :D

And what's crazy is the courts here in Texas still think it's 1950

He did indeed. It's no different here in Minnesota.

Jerseydave
07-31-2013, 08:59 PM

I was raised on a farm, still here but I prefer lakes/rivers.
What's her favorite hobby? Supply her with something for that (within reason) and maybe she'll come out with you more often.

My wife doesn't like early mornings so I go to the river with my buddies until late morning then my wife comes out. This would work so much better if I had waterfront property, but the river is 30 mins away so not too bad. She never likes to spend more than a few hours on the water, but I could be there sunrise to sunset.....nothing better than that to me!

At least she likes to surf......get her a new board maybe??

timvan
08-01-2013, 01:25 PM

Very well said.. unfortunately time lost with your kid(s) is something that money could never compare to.

dvsone79
08-01-2013, 02:13 PM
I have a good one.

I actually met her on the water and she drove the boat so I could get a set in on the day we met. Yes, I let her drive the boat on the very day we met.... She drove so well, that I decided then that she was a keeper. Counting dating we've now been together almost 29 years.

Awesome!

I can't get my wife into boating. Last season before our son was born, we would usually stay out all day and she wasn't really into that. She was prego at the time so I can't really blame her. This season, we never stay out long. It's evening sets during the week or early mornings on the weekend. She's not into the early thing, and weekdays she's never in a boating mood, and since I'm rarely out on weekend afternoons, she's only been out with me once this year. She can get up on a wakeboard, but she doesn't love it like I do. I pray that my son will love it and she won't have a choice but to go with us when he gets older. Can't wait to get him on a surfboard with me. We got my 3yr old nephew up on a surfboard with his dad last summer, thereby skipping the tubing thing completely. Haven't pulled one of those abominations yet (knock on wood). Hopefully the other kids will follow suit and just want to surf like their oldest cousin (now 4 and still loves to surf with his dad!).

76S&S
08-01-2013, 03:36 PM
Awesome!

I can't get my wife into boating. Last season before our son was born, we would usually stay out all day and she wasn't really into that. She was prego at the time so I can't really blame her. This season, we never stay out long. It's evening sets during the week or early mornings on the weekend. She's not into the early thing, and weekdays she's never in a boating mood, and since I'm rarely out on weekend afternoons, she's only been out with me once this year. She can get up on a wakeboard, but she doesn't love it like I do. I pray that my son will love it and she won't have a choice but to go with us when he gets older. Can't wait to get him on a surfboard with me. We got my 3yr old nephew up on a surfboard with his dad last summer, thereby skipping the tubing thing completely. Haven't pulled one of those abominations yet (knock on wood). Hopefully the other kids will follow suit and just want to surf like their oldest cousin (now 4 and still loves to surf with his dad!).

Good times, she'll go where the kids go, so you just have to con the little one.:D