PDA

View Full Version : Tradgedy in Arkansas

HRC
07-29-2013, 10:36 PM
http://wreg.com/2013/07/29/millington-child-killed-in-boating-accident/

Local news interviewed a neighbor that was with them and he said that while towing the tube and zig-zagging, the steering wheel came off of the boat. The boat then did a hairpin turn and ran back over the boys killing one.:(
BTW it was apparently a rental pontoon boat.

FrankSchwab
07-29-2013, 11:57 PM
Another sad situation - but the story doesn't say the steering wheel came off, it says "the steering wheel ripped out of his hands, the wheel spun". Something in the water perhaps that forced the steering to the side? I can't image what.

Rossterman
07-30-2013, 12:32 AM
Probably more to this story yet to be told. Truly tragic- hopefully something that can be learned from this?

88 PS190
07-30-2013, 02:04 AM
Another sad situation - but the story doesn't say the steering wheel came off, it says "the steering wheel ripped out of his hands, the wheel spun". Something in the water perhaps that forced the steering to the side? I can't image what.

That part reads like bullocks. Its an outboard right - anything that will impact the engine hard enough to "rip" the steering from your hands THROUGH A HYDRAULIC steering... With out rendering the propeller/lower unit immobile?

That's a negatory in my book.

HRC
07-30-2013, 07:41 AM
http://wreg.com/2013/07/29/millington-child-killed-in-boating-accident/

Local news interviewed a neighbor that was with them and he said that while towing the tube and zig-zagging, the steering wheel came off of the boat. The boat then did a hairpin turn and ran back over the boys killing one.:(
BTW it was apparently a rental pontoon boat.

I miss understood it the first time I heard the interview. Had other things going on in the room. I saw the story again at 10 last night and heard the "ripped out of his hands" comment. Either way its a terrible thing.

73blue
07-30-2013, 08:10 AM
That part reads like bullocks. Its an outboard right - anything that will impact the engine hard enough to "rip" the steering from your hands THROUGH A HYDRAULIC steering... With out rendering the propeller/lower unit immobile?

I doubt it had hydraulic steering. Cables can act funny sometimes. Regardless, a simple pull back on the throttle or yank of the kill switch could have easily prevented this. Sad.

snork
07-30-2013, 09:56 AM
So Sad, outlaw tubes and require safety course for everyone

Jeff_in_NY
07-30-2013, 10:13 AM

I agree. Also, this is a rental pontoon boat that can turn on a dime (did a hairpin turn) and go so fast that the driver had no time to cut the engine or throttle down? Does not compute.
Very sad story and very preventable.

pap
07-30-2013, 10:23 AM
No way you do a 180 and go back over a tuber just because steering jams. All you have to do is pull back on throttle.

Either someone totally panicked and didn't have any sense to be driving a boat, or there was booze/drugs involved (more likely).

JDC
07-30-2013, 11:03 AM
I immediately thought of my kids on the end of the rope just last week. So sad to hear about this.

I too was thinking he/she could have just pulled back on the throttle, but if it was rental, and they were not that familiar with it, it could only take a few seconds of panic and doing nothing to make things go bad.

However, the story is a hard one to buy. Even at a hard turn, wouldn't the tube just follow the boat? I would think the line to the tube would have to come off to put the tube stopped in the water to allow a turn back to hit it. ??

onewheat
07-30-2013, 12:00 PM
All you need to rent a boat is a driver's license and a credit card - no test to pass, ZERO boating experience needed. Oh and they will rent you a tube too - how tough could it be? Rental boats are among the scariest boats on the lake. I always have an eye out for them. They like to drag tubes back our cove and pull big sweeping turns at max wake rocking the docks to the max. We had one renter bounce our gangway off the steps three times in a weekend. I was ready to sink his boat. Most of them are completely clueless. Oh yeah - tubing their kids wearing Mae West vests too, because that is what comes with a rental boat.

Jeff_in_NY
07-30-2013, 12:20 PM
So much for the "wheel being ripped out of his hands" theory.

This article (http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2013/jul/29/millington-boy-killed-in-arkansas-boat-accident/) states: "The father turned around to come back and get him and ran over his son,” said Keith Stephens, an Arkansas Game and Fish Commission spokesman.
Same for this article (http://www.krzk.com/16155/update_bull_shoals_boating_accident_fatality_ident ified.html) and this one (http://www.baxterbulletin.com/article/20130729/NEWS01/130729003/UPDATE-AGFC-releases-names-Bull-Shoals-boat-accident?nclick_check=1).

rjracin240
07-30-2013, 12:43 PM
I immediately thought of my kids on the end of the rope just last week. So sad to hear about this.
However, the story is a hard one to buy. Even at a hard turn, wouldn't the tube just follow the boat? I would think the line to the tube would have to come off to put the tube stopped in the water to allow a turn back to hit it. ??

Would depend on length of line to tube and how sharp the boat was turned

thatsmrmastercraft
07-30-2013, 12:45 PM
The boy that was killed was off the tube. The other two boys stayed on.