PDA

View Full Version : Holley 4010 v 4160

Miss Rita
07-29-2013, 09:30 PM
My '92 has the Indmar 285 HP with a dual-feed Holley 4010. When it runs, it runs great. Plenty of power, great holeshot, no complaints. However, it's very cold blooded, won't run well until completely warmed up. If it sits for an hour or two in the middle of the day, it's a b****. It starts, but won't idle worth a crap. It needs a LOT of persuasion with the throttle to keep it going. The engine checks out otherwise: new plugs, electronic ignition, fresh tune, etc.
I'm thinking that instead of pouring more money into trying to get the 20 year-old 4010 fixed up I'd rather just buy a brand-new 4160, supposedly a much better carb.

Thoughts?

Cloaked
07-29-2013, 09:39 PM
My '92 has the Indmar 285 HP with a dual-feed Holley 4010. When it runs, it runs great. Plenty of power, great holeshot, no complaints. However, it's very cold blooded, won't run well until completely warmed up. If it sits for an hour or two in the middle of the day, it's a b****. It starts, but won't idle worth a crap. It needs a LOT of persuasion with the throttle to keep it going. The engine checks out otherwise: new plugs, electronic ignition, fresh tune, etc.
I'm thinking that instead of pouring more money into trying to get the 20 year-old 4010 fixed up I'd rather just buy a brand-new 4160, supposedly a much better carb.

Thoughts?You have answered your own question...

I'd convert to a 4160 and never look back.

You may need a spacer block as well (and two additional gaskets) if there is not one between the intake and the carb base.

You'll need a new fuel line from the fuel pump to the new carb, but that too can be found.

One tip from experience.... when you get the carb ready to go onto the spacer plate, have the solid fuel line (if it is indeed solid tubing) in place (attached to the fuel pump) and set the carb down onto the fuel line connector. Don't wait until last and then try to wedge the line up into the connection.

The 4160 should come factory ready to run. Don't go twisting and turning where it is not necessary.

If you really want to make it a nice package deal, now is a good time to add a PerfectPass 3-event speed controller... :D

$0.02