PDA

View Full Version : Boating accident in Colorado

lukedeuce
07-29-2013, 01:20 PM
Do any colorado TT'ers know any details about this?

http://www.kcrg.com/news/local/Mount-Mercy-Student-Killed-in-Colorado-Boating-Accident-217402391.html

thatsmrmastercraft
07-29-2013, 01:27 PM
....was being pulled on a tube behind a boat when the tow rope snapped, and the metal connector struck her in the head. Her death has been ruled an accident.

What a terrible accident.

I have never liked (or used) those snaps. Now I know why.

Jeff_in_NY
07-29-2013, 01:31 PM
I can't picture the metal connector it is referring to... what is it? Must have been near the tube or it was a 1 in 1,000,000 shot if longer.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-29-2013, 01:42 PM
Some tubes come with these for attaching the tube to the rope, but I have seen them used to attach the tube rope to a bridle.

http://www.dhdocks.com/lakesideliving/images/139.jpg

Jerseydave
07-29-2013, 02:13 PM
Some tubes come with these for attaching the tube to the rope, but I have seen them used to attach the tube rope to a bridle.

http://www.dhdocks.com/lakesideliving/images/139.jpg

Very bad idea using anything metal to connect a tube to a rope. My guess is the tube mfr will be in court over this one unless the connector was installed by the owner.
All of you out there should stop using metal connectors or carabiners on any of your towables.
(I've been guilty of this before as well)

Very sad, my heart goes out to the family of the girl who died.

JMLVMI
07-29-2013, 02:28 PM
Very bad idea using anything metal to connect a tube to a rope. My guess is the tube mfr will be in court over this one unless the connector was installed by the owner.

Based on a quick look at Overton's, it looks like most vendors provide a plastic connector to the rope, so my guess is the boat owner installed this for "convenience".

Tubes have got to be the most dangerous thing on the water. The line loads, people knocking together, high speeds, huge wakes...no thanks. Feel terrible for the family and the driver/owner who will have to live with this on his/her conscience every day.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-29-2013, 03:03 PM
Prior to the plastic connectors, it was common for tubes to come with the metal spring clips.

MattsCraft
07-29-2013, 03:22 PM
OMG - I was in Michigan a few weeks back, I brought our now only one tube. (Can't wait till it breaks, then I will be tube-less:rolleyes:) Anyway, the kids wanted to be pulled on 2 tubes and one of the other parents pulled out theirs and it had one of these clips. I had never seen one on a tube, it was on the end for the ski pylon, so we wrapped it and connected it to itself on the rope. I did not like the idea, but did it anyway, thank god nothing happened.

My heart goes out to the family, but I do not like tubes, I do not like them Sam I am.:(

TxsRiverRat
07-29-2013, 03:45 PM
I was hit in the wrist 2 seasons ago with a ski handle and my wrist has just now recovered after spending 3 months in PT and 2 months in chiro.... we do not realize the amount of force we're creating till we get hurt sometimes.

i have been using a shock tube now, but hindsight is 20/20

scott023
07-29-2013, 03:46 PM
Speechless.

lukedeuce
07-29-2013, 03:56 PM
The only thing that doesn't make sense is they say the rope snapped and the metal hit her in the head? How would the rope still be attached to anything if the end is frayed off? The only other clip would be be between the end of the rope and the tube, that I could think of. Which that wouldnt have enough slack to hit anyone since its tied directly to the tube.

Unless whatever they were pulling from broke away from the boat? Believe it or not, I have seen numerous people pull tubes from cleats.

FrankSchwab
07-29-2013, 06:48 PM
I have to imagine the statement about the rope snapping was wrong. Perhaps they boat had a loop of rope wrapped on the pylon or something, such that attaching the quick-clip was fast and looked secure, but it was the loop of rope that broke, not the tow line.

In any case, there is a surprising amount of energy stored in an elastic line (which poly is), when there's a heavy pull on it. Imagine the tube submarining - the line gets 1000 pounds of pull, stretches an extra foot (ask the hard-core slalom guys), the attachment to the boat breaks off, and the line retracts pulling the metal loop towards the tube at high speed.

Even in this scenario, this is a million to one accident; coming back towards the tube there's a million different paths the metal could take that wouldn't hit the young woman in a deadly spot.

I can't imagine the heartache of all involved. I wish them well.

/frank

Willski
08-02-2013, 01:41 PM
That is a bizarre accident. I can vouch for the line load. I had a handle line break on me getting up on a slalom (one side only). I went in a few days later for x-rays it was hurting so bad. Just a bad sprain though.