PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Gauge increases with RPMs on 2009

Big tic
07-28-2013, 08:33 PM
I have been trying to figure out this issue. I don't think it is a calibration issue.

My 2009 X45 is showing empty fuel at idle once it revs up it goes between 1/4 and 1/2. It is getting worse and worse. Is this a sender issue?

Thanks

Eric

93Prostar190
07-28-2013, 08:47 PM
Voltage? And with the higher RPM s the alternator spins up and gauge reads properly? Or is it a fuel level as the gas moves in the tank as you accelerate?

JimN
07-28-2013, 09:23 PM
I have been trying to figure out this issue. I don't think it is a calibration issue.

My 2009 X45 is showing empty fuel at idle once it revs up it goes between 1/4 and 1/2. It is getting worse and worse. Is this a sender issue?

Thanks

Eric

Could be a fuel quality problem- the senders are sensitive to contamination in the gas, which doesn't need to be dirt, but could be water, fuel additives, etc. 'Adulterated' would probably be a better word.

Big tic
07-28-2013, 09:53 PM
It reads 1/4 to 1/2 even when the tank is fuel i think it goes with the RPMs. IE higher voltage from the engine.

Maybe I will try to run it very low and put in high grade fuel and see if that does anything.

JimN
07-28-2013, 10:09 PM
It reads 1/4 to 1/2 even when the tank is fuel i think it goes with the RPMs. IE higher voltage from the engine.

Maybe I will try to run it very low and put in high grade fuel and see if that does anything.

Does the voltage on the dash change when you run at higher RPM? If that changes appreciably, I would have the alternator checked AFTER cleaning the battery terminals, all of the ground points and making sure you have no loose wires.

Big tic
07-28-2013, 10:12 PM
it stays at a pretty constant 13-14V. Only time it dips is if I am running all 3 pumps, stereo and lights. But I will check all the wires and clean the terminals. Thanks for the help.

bcboy
07-28-2013, 10:51 PM

Thanks

Eric
By revving up do you mean taking off and getting to plane? This could be the fuel going to the rear of the tank therefor reading higher...I have also noticed at idle the x star reads lower because the angle of the boat has the fuel at the front of the tank.I am having the same readings but this is the only logic I can come up with :-)

Big tic
07-29-2013, 06:10 PM
By reving it up, I mean in neutral i increase the rpms.

I am going to check the wire connections and see it that helps.