PDA

View Full Version : Diagnosing a check engine alarm 08 197 with MCX

92 190 PS
07-28-2013, 06:31 PM
Is there a place on the mcx to plug in a computer to check the cause of the alarm?

93Prostar190
07-28-2013, 07:41 PM
Yes the MCX has a port on the back of the engine where the ECM is located, it has a cap on a female end of a harness and looks like one of the connecters back there for other harnesses ....

You will need a MEFI5 computer to read that ... A typical odb scanner will not work or the old paper clip method.

We invested in the Diacom handheld unit ... Great device but pricey ... Good thing my buddy and I both have the MCX ....

93Prostar190
07-28-2013, 07:42 PM
Dude ... Just saw you were inOhio ... If you bring the boat towards Central Ohio we can help you pull codes .... Heck ring it to Buckeye Bash !!!

92 190 PS
07-28-2013, 07:47 PM
Well you just saved me $50. Just got back from the auto store and picked up an OBD scanner.

So here is the dilemma. We are on day 2 of a 8 day vacation and the check engine alarm and warning just came on. All the gauges are normal and boat is running fine. Should I boat through it with fingers crossed and diagnose when I get back from vacation or are am I risking too much? I have an email into Cincy MC and I'm hoping they might be in tomorrow, but it looks like they are usually out on Mondays.

93Prostar190
07-28-2013, 08:02 PM
Where are you on vacation? ... Well if the condition is bad enough the MCX would go into limp mode ... So stay alert but I would at least let it go through 3 warm up and cool down cycles, that will reset most lesser codes.

It could be something as simple as a misfire which would not trouble me too much .... But let me be clear you should still read the code in the near future And solve the issue.

Keep an eye on oil level and temp.... And go ski!

92 190 PS
07-28-2013, 08:07 PM
We live in Dayton, but have a place on the Ohio River near Maysville Ky. Where are you guys located? I would love to put a scan tool on it and see for sure what it is.

MCVOLS
07-28-2013, 08:23 PM
I too have an '08 mcx, and was getting that MSG on the vs if earlier this summer. I couldn't get it to the dealer to check for a few days, so like suggested, watched all gauges close, and had no problem. When they finally did check it, called indmar and had to reprogram the ECM. Couldn't find anything wrong, just throwing a code. Reload the software, no issues since.

93Prostar190
07-28-2013, 08:24 PM
Live in Columbus so we are 90 minutes from Maysville, been there a time or 2 .... Sometimes the Mercruiser repair shops may have the diacom software if they do MEFI-4 since the computer we have is also Mercruiser and crusader compatible ....

I am traveling for work this week so my schedule is jammed or I would offer to come down and see if I can help ....

MCVOLS
07-28-2013, 08:25 PM
Dang spell check! VDIG not vs if.

monsterwake
07-28-2013, 09:49 PM
My 06 X1 did this today. Actually went into limp mode. Put it in gear, but would not roll up RPM's. Not even in neutral. If I killed the engine it would run fine for a while.
Any ideas without taking it to the dealer?

93Prostar190
07-28-2013, 10:01 PM
Limp mode ? .... You better get it checked ... Limp mode is designed to protect the engine .... So you need to know the code so you can take proper action.

Maybe as a dockside check .... Check your knock sensors on the side of the block ....

92 190 PS
07-28-2013, 10:49 PM
I'm in better shape than monsterwake. Took battery cables off and warning is off for now. I'm going to try to get Cincy MC guys to help me with the computer to figure out the error code. Fingers crossed that its something simple. 93 thanks for the offer...

monsterwake
07-29-2013, 12:21 PM
Knock Sensor Question: What if one of them came unplugged? When I drained the block several months ago I noticed the starboard side knock sensor would not "snap" into place. The clip was missing but it would stay plugged it tight. I will check on that this evening...

93Prostar190
07-29-2013, 05:09 PM
Knock Sensor Question: What if one of them came unplugged? When I drained the block several months ago I noticed the starboard side knock sensor would not "snap" into place. The clip was missing but it would stay plugged it tight. I will check on that this evening...

That would be bad ... it would throw a code and I think (not sure and I don't have my MEFI-5) reference .. but it would invoke limp mode. (not to be confused with a Malibu owner Limp mode ... ;) ... sorry could not resist ...

monsterwake
07-29-2013, 09:29 PM
The knock sensor was connected. I am running through all of the connections making sure everything is tight.
I did have a tire that had a separated belt that caused a bunch of stuff to come loose. Including breaking the 3 holes that the driver side panel was screwed to.

monsterwake
07-30-2013, 12:43 AM
92 190 PS Sorry to steel your post but I think we have a common issue.
I went through every connection unplugging and plugging back in. Finally I found on the ECM t he connector on the right was possibly loose. As I was pulling plugs under there, every time I bumped it I could hear the gauges cycle like I turned the key off and on. I hope this is the problem. I could hardly get it to plug completely in.
I also found small pieces of leaves or something in the raw water filter. Might have been something clogging the hose to the transmission???
I will take it over to the lake tomorrow evening to see if I get the alarm again.

willyt
07-30-2013, 01:28 PM
It could be something as simple as a misfire which would not trouble me too much .... But let me be clear you should still read the code in the near future And solve the issue.

misfire? what misfire?

92 190 PS
07-30-2013, 11:21 PM
Well my adventure continues. Cindy MC tried to help today but their Tech was out because they have their big MC Bash this weekend on Norris. Owner tried to put the boat on the computer but couldn't get the software to find my engine. I will continue to use it as is and watch the gauges closely and plan to get it to Cincy MC next week when the tech is back in. I will share the results once we get it diagnosed, fingers crossed its something simple....

monsterwake
07-31-2013, 12:23 AM
I took mine out this evening for a test run. All went well. I didn't have the rear ballast in since I was checking the engine so I didn't have it under a full load.
I really think it was the harness connector on the ECM but won't know for sure until I load it down.
I could run all speeds and pull throttle back with no issues. PP worked great too.And I got the depth working too.