PDA

View Full Version : Towing class c motorhome x-10

cwarndahl
07-28-2013, 04:18 PM
Hey All
Im thinking about getting a class c motor home. i wanna hit more lakes. im getting a winnebago 31ft on the f450 frame with the v10. want to know if any one has any experience with launching boats at boat ramps with a motorhome? is it just like my truck? or is it something that is not for the faint of heart. some of out boat ramps are steep here. just thought i would ask. my boat is a 01 x-10.

ski_king
07-28-2013, 04:39 PM
I have seen a few do it. Some say it's easy, some don't.

Depends on the ramp, driver and motorhome.

http://www.pontoonstuff.com/psforum/uploads/4891/rv_LOADING.jpg
http://people.consolidated.net/tomnagy/23712066motorhome005hg3.jpg

Meeker
07-28-2013, 06:08 PM
First thing you need to check is the towing capacity of the class c you are looking at. Some class c motorhomes only have a 3500lb capacity. Max I have seen on a regular class c is 5000lb. Super Cs and pushers have a higher rating.

This is a 40' pusher. 10,000lb towing capacity. X45 boat. Biggest issue is size of the ramp and parking area. Scout out ahead of time and have a plan. We took a trip to Lake Navajo over July 4th and had to unhook at the ramp and have a truck put the boat in the water. The ramp area was too small to turn around and launch the boat with the pusher.

XtwentyNot
07-28-2013, 10:03 PM
A 450 chassis and v10 doesn't even really feel a boat that size. I pull over mountain passes and in and out of a lake with steep canyons multiple times a year. Usually I have a friend with truck available to handle my launching. If not my ramps aren't to bad so it's not an issue. One thing I would consider is a front hitch and that would only be to keep my drive wheels well away from slick ramps.

Jerseydave
07-28-2013, 11:21 PM
I had a 26' class C towing my '94 prostar, no problems.
I also used a 21' class C once to tow my Maristar 230. The ramp was pretty steep so my wife stayed in the driver's seat of the motorhome while I loaded the boat. I would highly recommend that someone always stay in the driver's seat, don't rely on park or the parking brake to hold it on a steep ramp. Pulling the boat out on steep ramps is possible but could be tough on your transmission.

As stated, check the towing capacity first.

Redstorm
07-29-2013, 12:01 AM
A buddy of mine swears by the front hitch.

cwarndahl
07-29-2013, 12:49 AM
Meeker that's a real nice rig! All the ones I'm looking at have 5k towing capacity, boat is 3500 and trailer at 700, puts reasonably under tow rate. I always have some one in the drivers seat even with my truck. Unless its a flat ramp. Im hoping this will be a great way to take boating and family time to the next level. We spend a allot of money on cabins and hotels, and usually have to pull the boat out daily which is a drag. Any other suggestions or experiences would be appreciated. Also like the idea of the front hitch!

john jones
07-29-2013, 01:17 AM
I tow my 22' Maristar with my 30' winnebago. It is a long setup, but it is manageable. The boat ramp where we camp is average and launching is not an issue. I chock my tires on the motorhome before my wife gets the boat off the trailer and have someone apply the brake.

We love having our motorhome, it is a nice way to travel and a great way to camp. They have some class C motorhomes that have diesel motor's which would help if your climbing a bunch of hills. Just remember it is a lot of weight and good brakes and proper driving is important.

cwarndahl
07-29-2013, 02:03 AM
Thanks john, why did you go class A?

john jones
07-29-2013, 10:17 AM
I have ridden in both class A and C. The view that you get from a class A can't be beat. The windows are big, the passengers in the back don't have to lean down to see out the front window. If you get a class C and it has the front window, check it carefully, it seems that people have had trouble with them leaking water around the window seal.

Both classes are good, just my personal preference. It always beats a tent!!

cwarndahl
08-02-2013, 12:00 PM
Thanks for all the input john, the main reason for a class c is that it has the overhead bunk for the kids, and I'm more familiar and comfortable with the e450 frame which it seems allot of the class A are as well, but that over head bunk is a big factor in what we are doing. And since I can't justify a new unit I need one the more familiar mechanics the better for me. I do think we found one!

deminimis
08-05-2013, 02:08 PM
C's Can tow. The proven and reliable V-10 does well.

cwarndahl
08-09-2013, 11:55 PM
Thanks dem, that was insightful, I have a couple practice lakes here. So I'm gonna just jump out. Love to see a pic of your rig!

XtwentyNot
08-10-2013, 02:41 AM
Well mines not nearly as nice, but she made another trip over Hood and then down the steep canyon to the lake last weekend. I don't abuse it and never went under 50 over the passes. I could push it harder but don't feel it's necessary.

I am glad I usually camp with someone who has a truck I can use to launch or mooring available when I arrive.

I was apprehensive before I started doing it but in the end I have been very happy with the f450 and v10 towing the boat.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/10/u8ura2aq.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/10/yre8yget.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/10/jy3ury6y.jpg

BrooksfamX2
08-10-2013, 09:28 AM
99% of my launching/towing is done with a motorhome.

cwarndahl
08-10-2013, 06:03 PM
Xtwenty I'm getting about what you have 05 tioga. V10 on the 450

cwarndahl
08-10-2013, 06:04 PM
Hey brooks what challenges do you face while dealing with the rig, any tips?